Windshield Sun Shade

RedLdr1

I use to roll it but folding it works better. Plus it sits better on the window. There are vertical creases there anyway and I see nothing wearing out and I use it every work day since I've owned the car in Dec 2012....but if you're a stickler for rules...look  :detective:  elsewhere then I suppose.

Hi I'm a newbie here and of course surfing on this site. Love all the info I am seeing. Have a question. Does anyone know if the sun shades that Ford sells made for the c max is of a good quality or name brand and has anyone purchased or used from Ford. It's supposed to be a fit and made for our large window but none in stock so I would have to order to figure this out and return if I don't like it.

Ok so I answered my own question. I happen to be working in another town today and stopped in a a Ford dealer. Low and behold they had one sun visor left for the c max so I bought it. Made by intro-tech and it's a roll up with the shiny silver on one side and white on the inside. Fits like a glove and cost me 24.95. Love it.

Ok so I answered my own question. I happen to be working in another town today and stopped in a a Ford dealer. Low and behold they had one sun visor left for the c max so I bought it. Made by intro-tech and it's a roll up with the shiny silver on one side and white on the inside. Fits like a glove and cost me 24.95. Love it.

Could you post some pics of it and installed?  

TIA

Do you have Dropbox?  (Everyone should, no matter what they use.  It's available for your Smartphone, tablet or computer, no matter the OS, and you can share documents between all your devices as well as use it for sharing images).  It's free -- just sign up and then you can post a link to your image (Dropbox can be set to automagically capture your phone images and then you just share the link).

Thanks Kelleytoons. Yep have dropbox on all my cells, tablets and computers. However I don't have them automatically upload because I sometimes have my girls and mom go into view things. Somethings I don't want uploaded. Still doesn't help me understand how to upload a picture. Can I upload via the mobile site on my cell or do I have to use only on full site with computer. On mobile site I just don't see an option to upload.

Ordered Intro-Tech Ultimate' from AutoAnything after reading all 5 pages of posts. Will post my impressions of how hard or easy it is to put up, take down & store behind the passenger seat. Compared to how long the A/C takes to cool the car, I don't really care how long it takes me. Frankly, I'm just happy someone makes an excellent product that keeps the car cool to get into. Summers are brutal in GA!

Eve -- can't be worse here than Florida, and even with the easy to put up/take down ones I use from Wal-Mart Maximis stays cool enough so the A/C can work in about five minutes or less (just make sure you have recirc on and run the fan high.  Remember as a general rule it's better to have a higher fan and higher temps as you will feel cooler with less energy.  And you don't want to be cooling all that outside air if you can help it, so recirc is also very efficient).  I set my temp at 73 degrees and even when it's 100 outside (with humidity in the 90's) I feel cool and breezy :>)

As for Dropbox -- if you past your images into Photos you can then share that link here by simply copying and pasting it in.  Because I have them automatically go into Dropbox I'm not sure how you get them there otherwise from your phone, but *somewhere* you need to be backing your images up from your phone, right?  (Remember the rule of thumb is to only backup the data you want -- so if you don't want the image, don't take it <bg>).  So wherever that backup is (on the iPhone it will be in the iCloud - I'm not an Android user but I'm positive there will be cloud backup for it as well), just move one of those images into Dropbox and you can then share it.

Edited by Kelleytoons

• 5 weeks later...

I've used these before, Eclipse Sunshades.  With the huge front window I'm considering it again and since they fold up to the sides there is not hassle in trying to store a sunshade.  I've also used the foil covered foldup kind as well, but the CMAX window is so huge it's too big for the one I have. 

On first glance they seem great.  I have the Intro-Tech Automotive Ultimate Reflector but find myself not using it that much.  Perhaps if I had something like this I would use it more.  Do they restrict vision much when closed ?  If I hadn't already made my purchase I would do some research on it.

...Do they restrict vision much when closed ?  

When they are folded up they're only about an inch width in size.  With the *huge* front window of the CMAX I doubt it'll be an issue and it never was for my Escape, Accord, or 626 back in the day. When they are first installed you'll know they are there but they never interfered with me being able to see in any of my previous cars I've used them. 

Edited by Kunari

When you fold them do you "attach" them to what you have folded.  IOW, do you just swipe them like curtains but then have some sort of "pinning" that keeps them from accidentally closing on you?

I like the concept but because the windshield is so large on the C-Max the biggest issue I can see is actually reaching over to that far passenger side (which I can't do now when I sit in the driver's side).  I guess for folks with longer arms or who don't have back issues it's no big deal, but I suspect that would be a deal breaker for me (I've actually hurt myself just trying to get into the glove compartment from the driver's side).

When you fold them do you "attach" them to what you have folded.  IOW, do you just swipe them like curtains but then have some sort of "pinning" that keeps them from accidentally closing on you?

I like the concept but because the windshield is so large on the C-Max the biggest issue I can see is actually reaching over to that far passenger side (which I can't do now when I sit in the driver's side).  I guess for folks with longer arms or who don't have back issues it's no big deal, but I suspect that would be a deal breaker for me (I've actually hurt myself just trying to get into the glove compartment from the driver's side).

They come with mounts that attach to the windshield and they are spring loaded to keep themselves folded up.  You pull them together and there is velcro that gets them to bind together to close the sun out. Now that you mention it, reaching across the C-Max would be an issue. 

Powered sunshade would be awesome. 

Yeah, I tried yesterday and there's absolutely no way I can reach across Maximis to do this.  It would only work if I had a passenger in the seat to help (or if I actually got out and walked around to the other side).

Powered sunshade would be the only way I would consider this.  For now I'll stick with my spring loaded easily stowable ones (then again, we don't park outside in the sun much, as Maximis lives in the garage and I'm retired, so mostly on tennis trips where a few hours is no big deal).

Yeah, I tried yesterday and there's absolutely no way I can reach across Maximis to do this...

For now I'll stick with my spring loaded easily stowable one...

Spring loaded sun shade and easy to stow?!  Where did you get it?   I've got a fold up one that's a pain to stow as it's so think when folded up. 

2014-08-06%2012.21.04.jpg

2014-08-06%2012.34.19.jpg

Sorry it took so long, had late (9:30pm) tennis last night and didn't get up until about an hour ago.

These are the "universal" Windshield size ones, cost about $10 and come in various colors/designs (for years in the Durango we used the silver ones, but I like these Florida looking ones even better, even if they *are* sideways :>).

I was going to do a video on how to do it but this is WAY cuter:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0AtG3L0kaAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0AtG3L0kaA

(And I can do it in less than 1 second but I have a lot larger arms :>).

I'll have to make a run to Walmart. 

You might also want to try (or at least consider) the WAY larger ones they make (there are three basic sizes, although it's a bit confusing since they use two names for the same size).

There are the "Standard" ones (too small for us), the "Jumbo" (the ones that I use and are pictured) and the "Super Jumbo" (they also refer to the "Jumbo" as "Large" sometimes).

The Jumbo shades are 28 x 31 inches, which is a bit too small to cover the entire dash but is workable.  The Super Jumbo measure 31 x 38, which is WAY too big for our vehicle.  But...

These shades are bendable (and thus easily collapsible as shown in the video).  While others here have said they have gotten the Super Jumbo and they didn't fit at all, I'm a bit skeptical of that.  Yes, they are obviously not going to fit as designed to fit, but given how flexible these are I wonder if they might not just be "wedged" in between the dash and the rearview mirror and thus work even if they don't fit as squarely (or at all) as they might.  It's something I have been meaning to try, getting the very large ones and seeing just how easily (if at all) they could be used with Maximis (heck, for $15 or so it's a cheap experiment).  I just haven't gotten around to trying it yet but I will someday.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I will add to it anyway. I just went out today and bought the Super Jumbo shades from Walmart for my new 2015 SE. The 38" dimension fits quite nicely from the base of the windshield to the top and the 2 shades overlap about 8" or so. The mirror ends up between the shades and the windshield but since it is a manual mirror and I don't have auto wipers I don't think the trapped heat will affect anything. Time will tell.

• 2 years later...