Windshield Sun Shade

RedLdr1

Your picture gave me the idea, I wonder if it was left loose to make it possible to insert parking passes, placards underneath it

Possible.  Thanks to your bringing this up, I now realize I'll need to flip my parking placard in front during installation because the auto-wiper black sensor obstructs a view of the card from the outside.  That's enough of a reason for the parking nazi's.  :rant2:

• 1 month later...

I just ordered the Intro-Tech Ultimate Sunshade from autoanything.com, and I have to say, I was very impressed with their customer service. It's likely I'll buy from them again. See, I had a little bit of trouble making the purchase using the $50 gift card which Ford gave me in exchange for test driving the CMax (which seemed like a very appropriate use of that card), but after speaking with customer service, it all worked out in the end, so I'll have one soon. I'm looking forward to it; they really do look super nice!

Thanks for the suggestion, everyone!

PS: If you're not familiar with the $50 test-drive gift card, the way it worked was, my wife and I were looking at the CMax at the Denver Auto Show, along with several other cars. We weren't in the market to actually buy anything; we just enjoy looking at cars. (Isn't that why most people go to those shows?) Anyway, so a Ford representative said if we test-drove a CMax, we'd get a gift card for $50, no strings attached. So we figured, hey, free money, and did it. What we weren't expecting (but clearly Ford was) is that we'd totally love the car, and want to buy one. We would've gotten the gift card either way, but since we did wind up buying a CMax, this seemed, like I said, the perfect use for that card. Yay.  :)

But anyway, point is, AutoAnything's customer service rocks.

Edited by CarpeNivem

• 8 months later...

Took RedLdr1's advice and contacted AutoAnything to buy the sunshade, turns out there is a Promo Code - AA10, that gives you a 10% discount. It's only $6.00 but any thing helps. They also were very helpful with the ordering process. I will definetly check with them again when looking for accessories.

• 3 weeks later...

Do these things really make that big of a difference? I could understand it if you live in Florida or Arizona but for someone who lives in a temperature climate like Michigan is it worth the hassle?

Good question.  Here in south Texas the answer is an absolute YES!   It was 109f yesterday (April record) and my car therm was registering 112f after sitting in a parking lot for over an hour.  My intro-tech shield along with my NRG's remote start made it quite bearable when I got in. :yahoo:   

Since you also have an NRG with remote start and live in Michigan, I'd say a shade isn't mandatory but it will always help.  I'd suggest getting a cheaper, ring/circle style fold up version (see pics) and see if A) you think it helps and B) have the determination to use it every time.    This is the type I've used for years as it is so easy to store because they fold together into a small circle that is easily stored between the seats and the center console.  The intro-tech is way more cumbersome to store but it's ability to deflect BTU's more than offsets that issue.

EA7DB98B-3055-4AEE-A47F-E55157A08D15-415

8D593D24-14ED-4276-8F4F-A9953148B0C3-415

I don't know Michigan, but I assume it wouldn't be worth the hassle there, if it's generally cold or pleasant year-round.

In Colorado, a sunshade is only necessary for about half the year, because it doesn't get super hot all that often, but when it does, yes, they absolutely help.

I always tint all side and rear windows, so that helps, but the windshield always lets sun and heat in. With the CMax's windshield being roughly the size of a basketball court, that's a lot of sun getting in, and with it, a lot of heat, so I consider one of these shades more useful in this car than it would be in most.

Regular application of ArmorAll (or equivalent, I guess) (is there an equivalent, come to think of it?) (well, whatever) should also prevent the dash from cracking. I'm pretty sure you're right that it's UV damage which causes that, but strictly speaking, a sunshade isn't the only way to prevent UV damage. I mean, it's an added benefit, I suppose, but I think the main reason for a sunshade is to block heat.

• 3 months later...

Regular application of ArmorAll (or equivalent, I guess) (is there an equivalent, come to think of it?) (well, whatever) should also prevent the dash from cracking. I'm pretty sure you're right that it's UV damage which causes that, but strictly speaking, a sunshade isn't the only way to prevent UV damage. I mean, it's an added benefit, I suppose, but I think the main reason for a sunshade is to block heat.

I prefer Meguiar's Quick Detailer.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AMLWH8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000AMLWH8&linkCode=as2&tag=calipso-20&linkId=IGK4KALXLQJQ4JTD

Another option is to also put window film on all the windows, including the windshield (clear on the front of course).  I have 3M Crystalline which blocks 99.9% of UV.

I have either that particular sunshade or one very much like it (got it custom made for $55) and *I* think it's too much trouble to put into place (having used the circular fold up ones for years on our Durango).  Plus -- it takes up *way* too much room.  So add another central Florida guy with a sunshield to sell <bg>.

I may see if I can persuade my wife to use it when she takes Sestra to work (because she's really the one who would park it in the sun all day long for the two days of the week she does work) but I'm really thinking I'll see if I can find the largest circular shades they make and see how they work in our car (you can put them in and out with one easy motion and we used to use two of them in the Durango all the time).  I'm not convinced these custom shades are any more effective.

(Oh, and Rick -- did you get your C-Max from Sun State Ford as well?)

Edited by Kelleytoons

I prefer Meguiar's Quick Detailer.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AMLWH8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000AMLWH8&linkCode=as2&tag=calipso-20&linkId=IGK4KALXLQJQ4JTD

Another option is to also put window film on all the windows, including the windshield (clear on the front of course).  I have 3M Crystalline which blocks 99.9% of UV.

+1 on Meguiar's vs Armor All.   Armor-All contains alcohol and will crack a dashboard like nobody's business.  Meguiar's is mineral-oil based.  They also make a great leather conditioner.

Want your tires to look brand new but without that tacky shiny Armor-all finish?  Try a little brake fluid on a cotton cloth after you wash and dry them.  Works like a charm.  Any old brake fluid will do.

I tried the largest circular sunshade ( super jumbo ) that Walmart sells but no worky! I also tried a fold up sunshade from Advance Auto that is supposed to fit the Cmax but it wasn't big enough. As

far as protecting the dash, I have used Aerospace 303 protectant in my Truck and the dash still looks like new after 10 years in the Texas and Florida Sun.

We got our C-max from Weikert Ford in Lake Wales. ( They got it from some dealer up in the panhandle?? )

I used the "regular" (Universal?) sunshade from Wallmart (these are all made by Basix or whatever the heck they are calling their company that they use many names for) and it fits fine if you turn it lengthwise (which is to say, it's rectangular so if you turn the two of them clockwise 90 degrees they fit on either side of the rearview mirror).  You don't have to lower your visors or anything, as they can fit fine jammed in between the mirror and the edge of the window.

The jumbo ones are WAY too large for our vehicle (the problem is the rearview mirror gets in the way -- in theory, you might be able to use just *one* of these across the whole thing, but it's actually a little too small for that anyway, for those thinking they might do some cutting and trimming of it).  But two of the regular ones work just great (and are SO much easier to store than a custom fitted one.  I just fold them up in less than one second and stick them at the driver's edge of the passenger seat).

Our C-Max came from Jacksonville, although we bought it in Orlando.

(I'll try and post some images today to show folks how it works -- got to go out this morning anyway and get a new microwave, as ours nuked itself last night :>)

Edited by Kelleytoons

EDIT/UPDATE: Fixed the descriptions 

There are at least three other sunshade discussions as well:

I purchased the Intro-Tech roll-up model FD55 from PartsCheap.com for $36.95 with free shipping. Silver on the 'outside' white on the 'inside'.

http://www.partscheap.com/2013-C-Max-Windshield-Sunshade-p/fd-55.htm

Apparently same shade on eBay is now 30.90 with free shipping from fanattic1296:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intro-Techs-Best-Custom-Fit-Auto-Sunshade-for-Ford-Aerostar-to-LTD-/271450454778?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&hash=item3f33b53afa

There are also places selling the FD55R. but I'm not sure what the difference is.

It appears to me that ours is identical to the Heatshield shown in the other two threads.

I posted a couple of pics in this thread:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2075-intro-tech-automotive-sunshade/

Another sun shade thread. The link for photos goes back another page on the thread you're viewing.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2258-sun-shade-for-front-window/

More pics of HeatShield roll-up. Fotomoto also posted pics of two of the smaller 'oval' shades turned sideways.

Heatshield looks and apparently works the same as the Intro-Tech roll-up.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2020-heatshield-sunshade-for-the-2013-cmax/

Edited by kostby

Um, don't see the pics of the Wal-Mart shade but like I said I'll post some here this afternoon (just about to head out now, in fact).

What I *should* do is post a video, because it's not just how it fits but how easy it is for (um, the wife?) anyone to put in and take down.  Literally takes less than two seconds for either process and thus isn't something you ever mind doing (because otherwise you just aren't going to do it.  I can now do it so fast any passenger who isn't aware of how it works generally goes "Huh?  How did you DO that?" and I have to slow down and show it in slow motion.