Windshield Sun Shade

RedLdr1

FWIW, I bought the IntroTech shade for my wife's CMax. It is very well made and fully covers the windshield, but it is really, really big and she rarely makes the effort to put it up. If I were going to purchase now, I'd go with the Walmart circular shades. I have a friend who bought a set for his Expedition nearly 10 years ago and they're still in good shape despite the Texas summers.

2014-08-06%2012.21.04.jpg

2014-08-06%2012.34.19.jpg

Sorry it took so long, had late (9:30pm) tennis last night and didn't get up until about an hour ago.

These are the "universal" Windshield size ones, cost about $10 and come in various colors/designs (for years in the Durango we used the silver ones, but I like these Florida looking ones even better, even if they *are* sideways :>).

I was going to do a video on how to do it but this is WAY cuter:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0AtG3L0kaAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0AtG3L0kaA

(And I can do it in less than 1 second but I have a lot larger arms :>).

I should add a few things:

1) These "Universal" shields are 25x28 inches, and I put them in lengthwise (top to bottom).  The actual length we could use (assuming we wanted complete coverage of the dash) would be more on the order of 34 inches and you can see they don't come all the way forward.  For me this isn't an issue but it might be for some of you.

2) They make two more sizes: Super Jumbo (which as Rick notes, is too big for our cars) is 31x38.  You *could* use the 31 inches just fine, but that 38" would be WAY too big across and bunch up around the rearview mirror (I assume that was what Rick experienced when he tried to use them).  However, the Jumbo size might be an even better fit that the Universal.  It measures 28x31, so you could use it turned the same way as the Universal but that would give us 3 extra inches of coverage.  I don't think the 28 inch width would then be too big across the center (it might, but it would be worth a try). 

3) You can't get the Jumbo size at Wally World -- they only sell the Universal and Super Jumbo.  Locally the only place I can find which carries them is Pep Boys, and I may take a trip down there today just to get one to see (heck, for $10 it's worth the experiment).  I'm playing tennis at 2pm so I won't be able to report back until after then (which will be around 5pm) but if someone can get one sooner let me know here and I'll not waste my time.

Edited by Kelleytoons

So I did go to Pep Boys and got the "Jumbo" size and lo and behold it's the same as the "Universal" size (but I'm glad I got it because it's the "Deluxe Silver" which is what I really wanted anyway).

So there are really three sizes, but four designations for them, just FYI.  They work, they are quick and easy to setup, and take zero room in the car.  And, best of all, my wife will use them <bg>.

My Wife is spoiled rotten! lol For her Charger she had one that fit the windsheild perfectly without any external support and stored away between the passenger seat and console like you show in your pic! The

KEY point is .. finding something that she will use!!! I think you have come up with the best solution I have seen so far! We will probably go with the Silver one as well.

Yeah, I have to admit this solution isn't perfect -- while it doesn't require any external support and does stow away easily and tidily, I will admit it does not fit perfectly and is a bit "fussy" when you put it up (you have two pieces and you push one to one side and the other to the other so not just like putting one smooth piece in place like the ginormous custom made one I also have).

What *would* be perfect would be one of these springy things custom cut to fit our windshield but I don't think that's likely to be found (although that won't stop me from continuing to look).  And, as you said, finding something that someone will use (in our cases, our wives) is the most important.  Since my own has been -- dare I say it? -- "trained" to use these on the Durango it's a sure bet she will on our C-Max.  

With only a little bit of practice, I think the Introtech Sunshade becomes not very difficult at all to put up or take down. My wife and I each have no trouble with it. It works very well, and personally, I think it looks a lot nicer than any other sunshade I've ever seen, in this thread or elsewhere. Oh course, to each their own. If you've already bought an Introtech and you don't like it, I won't try to change your mind. That's just silly. But if you haven't bought one yet, don't let the disapproval in this thread sway you completely. We love ours.

Well, to each his own.  I kind of hate spending more than even a few seconds putting sunshades up, and rolling up something like the Introtech would drive me buggy.  I really can put the shades up (and take them down) in less time than anyone can count to two.  Plus I really want the sunshade to take up *zero* room in the car, which the Auto Expressions ones do (well, it's not physically possible to take up zero room, but they certainly don't take up even 1/8" of room between the seat you couldn't use anyway).

Honestly, I think they *would* be perfect if they were just a bit bigger and with the cars nowadays coming out with bigger and bigger front windshields I suspect it will happen -- just a matter of time.

I'm going to give the Intro-Tech a shot, there is a lot of real estate on that dashboard, and this should help.  They have a promo right now at Auto Anything (link in the first post) where you get 10% off as well as a free side window shade, so there's that as well.

Still trying to get my Wife to at least try out the Pro Trim Sunblocker that I bought on Ebay. She tried it once, got frustrated and then gave up on it! From what I've seen on this thread it appears that the "ultimate" Intro-tech has the

best fit. The only draw back is that it doesn't store away easily like the Walmart shades.

I actually used my custom made shade two or three times before I realized it was WAY more effort than I ever wanted to do when I parked the car.  What happens is this: you park for, say, 10 minutes and think "Do I want to spend two minutes putting the shade up, a minute taking it down and putting it away, when I'm only going to be away for that short a period of time?"  So you skip it that one time.  And the next time you are gone for only 15 minutes...

Soon you just can't bring yourself to using it unless you are REALLY going to be away from the vehicle, for hours at a time.  In those cases (like for those of you who are unfortunate enough to have to work for a living :>) then I'd go ahead and get whatever is the best for you, knowing that even spending five minutes putting it up and taking it down will only be done once a day.  For those of us who don't have our vehicles unattended that long (or who make lots of short trips) I really think the absolute easiest thing is what you want because then you WILL do it (and I use the Wal-mart shades even if I'm out of the car for less than 10 minutes, because it takes less than a minute TOTAL for up and down).

Women are a whole different thing, as we all know.  And as soon as someone figures them out, I'll buy their book <g>.

I actually used my custom made shade two or three times before I realized it was WAY more effort than I ever wanted to do when I parked the car.  What happens is this: you park for, say, 10 minutes and think "Do I want to spend two minutes putting the shade up, a minute taking it down and putting it away, when I'm only going to be away for that short a period of time?"  So you skip it that one time.  And the next time you are gone for only 15 minutes...

Soon you just can't bring yourself to using it unless you are REALLY going to be away from the vehicle, for hours at a time.  In those cases (like for those of you who are unfortunate enough to have to work for a living :>) then I'd go ahead and get whatever is the best for you, knowing that even spending five minutes putting it up and taking it down will only be done once a day.  For those of us who don't have our vehicles unattended that long (or who make lots of short trips) I really think the absolute easiest thing is what you want because then you WILL do it (and I use the Wal-mart shades even if I'm out of the car for less than 10 minutes, because it takes less than a minute TOTAL for up and down).

Women are a whole different thing, as we all know.  And as soon as someone figures them out, I'll buy their book <g>.

I have to disagree totally if you are talking about the ultimate Intro-tech fold up sunscreen as I have used the ultimate for nearly 1 1/2 years.  I just went out and timed putting it up and taking it down.  It takes less than 15 seconds to reach in the back and put the sunscreen up and less than 10 seconds to take it down.  Even doubling the time should one mix up the top and bottom and have to refold and reverse when putting up is a fraction of 2 minutes.  

RockwallRick, the ultimate does fit virtually all the windshield area except around the mirror.  As far as ease of use, one has to "learn" the best technique for putting it up and taking down. I've found that laying it folded on the dash, unfolding, sliding it forward to base of windshield, lifting into place, and then snapping / securing behind the headliner is rather easy.  Taking it down requires popping it out from under the headliner with right hand under the sunscreen in the middle holding it up, let it start to fold in the middle, and then complete the fold up on one side then the other (it naturally falls into place with virtually no effort).  Once mastered, taking it down is simple and quicker than putting it up.  IMO, storing is not much different than a roll-up one.

Also, my wife uses it all the time as she drives the car more than I do.  It's the best sunscreen we've ever owned as we've used roll up and the snap fold up sunscreens on other vehicles. We use it virtually every time we are out and about from 10 minutes to hours at a time.  

There seems to be some confusion between the Intro-Tech Roll Up and the Intro-Tech Fold Up. ( Ultimate )  I like the way

the Ultimate fits and who knows, maybe my Wife would have been ok with that one?? At this point, I just want to get her

back in the habit of using a sunshade like she used to in her old car! :rockon:

And, Plus, I'll respectfully disagree with you.  I can put up my sunshades with one hand, reaching in the seat next to me (so no reaching over the back seat, nor any problems with passengers sitting there).  I can also put the sunshades up with three other passengers in the car with me, all without disturbing them in the slightest (and remove them and put them away, all without even slightly touching them).  If you can do that with your shades, I'll eat them (well, you MUST at least provide some jelly and/or jam :>). 

Anything that involves two hands and any maneuver that reaches into the back seats or involves other folks in the car having to duck and or rearrange themselves is really ridiculous, in my never humble opinion.  However, as I said, for folks who travel alone and/or park for many hours I will admit almost anything is worth the effort.

There seems to be some confusion between the Intro-Tech Roll Up and the Intro-Tech Fold Up. ( Ultimate )  I like the way

the Ultimate fits and who knows, maybe my Wife would have been ok with that one?? At this point, I just want to get her

back in the habit of using a sunshade like she used to in her old car! :rockon:

Yes, I agree on the confusion.  I know the Ultimate is significantly more expensive but IMO is well worth it.   

IMO, I think the issues with sunscreens for the C-Max stems from the fact that the windshield is huge compared with most cars.  For example IIRC, the C-Max windshield is over 2000 sq.in. (car not home now to validate) and my Nissan Rogue is about 1500 sq. in.  So, a C-Max sunscreen would be about 33% larger than a sunscreen for my Nissan (we have a custom roll-up one for it).  This size difference alone would make a C-Max sunscreen more difficult to handle than a smaller one.  I've got to believe (from experience with roll-up screens) that a roll-up for the C-Max would be more difficult and probably more time consuming to install and take down than the Ultimate.  The time to put up and take down the Nissan sunscreen is slightly more than what it takes for the Ultimate on the C-Max.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

FWIW, I don't tuck my IntroTech Ultimate into the headliner. I rest it behind the visors. This allows it get closer to the mirror, actually, but that's not why I do it; I do it because I think it's easier, faster, and doesn't involve possibly putting undue wear on the front edge of the headliner.

FWIW, I don't tuck my IntroTech Ultimate into the headliner. I rest it behind the visors. This allows it get closer to the mirror, actually, but that's not why I do it; I do it because I think it's easier, faster, and doesn't involve possibly putting undue wear on the front edge of the headliner.

Good point.  

I just looked at my headliner.  There is no question that the soft padded fabric covering which is apparently glued to and overhangs slightly the rigid headliner surface at the front is slightly turned down at the overhang (not unglued though) and looks a little dirty..  It's likely given the frequency of use of our sunshade, that it may start to fray at the edge in a few more years.  So, we are going to start using the visor and not tuck it under the headliner.  

Thanks for the tip. 

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer