Oil Change Indicator

danlee

• 3 weeks later...

mine just showed up this morning after a  300km trip yesterday (which  i got almost 40mpg on).. i just had my engine oil changed 5000km ago , synthetic , it was in late june.. huh ? i should get at least another 1000 km .. i was planning on doing it soon , but still... the warning never appeared before, i left the oil in from december to june and drove about 9000km (VERY COLD winter), im finding this strange. 

mine just showed up this morning after a  300km trip yesterday (which  i got almost 40mpg on).. i just had my engine oil changed 5000km ago , synthetic , it was in late june.. huh ? i should get at least another 1000 km .. i was planning on doing it soon , but still... the warning never appeared before, i left the oil in from december to june and drove about 9000km (VERY COLD winter), im finding this strange. 

If you got the oil changed at a dealer, they should have reset it though sometimes that can get left undone.  Not having it reset did happen to me once from a dealer oil change.  If you got it done at a non-Ford dealer I wouldn't bet that it was reset but there may be a sticker on the windshield or door indicating when the oil change was done and at what mileage.  My understanding is that the oil indicator comes on to allow the oil to be changed once a  year or every 10000 MILES or less if a lot of stop and go driving.

Yeah; 10K miles is more like 16.7K kilometers, but a year is always a year. Adding it up, you're pushing 15K Km at 10 months, so it's probably distance triggering it.

I get my oil analyzed, at 10K changes, so look for a thread. At least one high-mileage member is using extended intervals. I just sent in a sample, so I can tell you the oil reset procedure:

- turn on/push and hold button for 2 sec.  

- press both pedals and hold for "in process" then a long wait, then "completed" messages.

Have fun,

Frank