Consumer Reports Talking Cars C-max Energi recommendation

djc

Yes, some nice comments on the C-Max but "looks like a European delivery van"?  Oh come on.  I agree that the C-Max looks a bit "different" but I like that.  There's way too many "me too" SUVs and sedans out there (excepting the ones that are down right ugly!).  Go to Europe and you'll see lots of smaller "cars" or all sorts that can haul 5 or 7 people, pull small trailers, and provide a lot more practicality without taking up gobs of space or using tons of fuel.  Call them "delivery vans" if you like - its a much better solution.  The C-Max looks the way it does because its relatively short, tall and aerodynamic - all pluses in my book!

"Check out the reliability  ...  some years tend to be better than others."

2013s tend to have a bad trans that could total your car after 8 years or 100,000 miles from when first sold (as I recall)

2014s and 2015s tend have a better trans but not perfect yet.

2016 and later have a good sound system rather than weird one that as I recall Consumer Report complained about also.

If I were risking my reputation or recommending to a friend, get a 2016 or better.

Get a 2013 only if it is a REALLY REALLY low price or the trans has been replaced.

Get a 2014 or 2015 if it is a very good price.

( Not sure if the cupping problem was lessened in later than 2013 models.  I suspect it was for that is some real mis-engineering in my opinion. )

Edited by obob

Pretty much the way I approached getting my C-Max...wait until the bugs are worked out and see if you can snag a low miles model with some warranty left: 2016 SE with 2,100 miles in June of this year ($15,750).

I did the same with our 2004 Focus Wagon - let Ford sort out and fix the issues and then buy when the model was announced as ending.  The Wagon still going fine with no major repairs or issues.  It's our 'truck' now for moving big stuff and gets the snow tires every winter. 

So far so good!