How Many Miles did You get out of Your Michelin Energy Saver Tires

ptjones

How many miles did you get from your Michelin Energy Savers tires and What tire pressure did you use?  I have gone through 3 sets with total mileage of 213k miles.  Michelin Energy Savers AS are warrantied for 55k miles and at 50 psi I got 64.5k and 64k miles out of my first two sets which weren't worn down to the 2/32", I replaced them because I was going on long trips in snowy conditions and wanted max tread.  My third set I replaced the fronts at 78k because of puncture in sidewall. They could gone probably 3k more miles anyways. The rears I moved to the front and they currently have 85k miles and looks like they will make 90k mile unless I have to go on trip in snowy conditions. smile.png 

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I got 60Kon first set but only have 45K on 2nd set and they need replacing. Have kept tire pressure at about 42psi.

Thinking of switching to Defender T+H (they are rated at 80K) but am undecided.

I really think 50 psi is the right pressure to use. Were they wearing on the outside edges?  Are your roads real ruff/abrasive? :headscratch: I have 85k on mine, might make 90k miles. :)

Paul 

66K with perhaps 10K left, but I wanted no part of them on Michigan winter roads, so out they went a couple of weeks ago.  They would occasionally lose bite when accelerating on wet roads also.  Very good overall, but overpriced compared to competition (IMO).

66K with perhaps 10K left, but I wanted no part of them on Michigan winter roads, so out they went a couple of weeks ago.  They would occasionally lose bite when accelerating on wet roads also.  Very good overall, but overpriced compared to competition (IMO).

I think you make that up with better MPG's and mine have lasted forever too so they maybe actually cheaper in the long run. :) IMO

Paul

• 5 months later...

post-143-0-81941800-1556822011_thumb.jpg

15k miles later after replacing the fronts with sidewall hole, moving the rears to the front, new one's the rear and 95k miles on my front Michelin's using 50 psi, they still have 4/32" tread on outside, 3/32" tread on center and inside. Anyone else getting that kind of tread wear? Just another example of the advantages of using 50 psi in Michelin ES tires. BTW I had a panic stop yesterday when someone tried turning in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and turned right to avoid hitting them.  Anything that was loose came flying to the front of the car. Tires and brakes worked great! :)

Paul 

Ant thoughts on replacement due to time?  I have my original tires on my 2013.  Curent miles of travel is 32,000 so I have plenty of treadwear left but calendar time may be running out.  I think the tires' manufacturer's data indicates that six years is the maximum recommended.

Thank you.

I had a Freestar with about 8 years on the original tires and got a low pressure warning enroute from Michigan to Texas (right near Mammoth Cave).  Had the tire taken off and could feel the air leaking by passing back of my hand over sidewall leak area but absolutely could not see a hole.  At the time had no idea that tires with plenty of tread could fail from old age, and so I had that tire replaced and continued on to our destination (and then back home) with the 3 other original tires.  Traded that vehicle in on the C-Max shortly thereafter without even realizing how potentially hazardous those tires were.  Never again.

I got about 75K out of the OEM Michilens. I have replacements from Discount Tire who rotate/rebalance them about every  3 months or so due to my mileage and they always put back in 35PSI. I ask and they will do 42PSI, when I put in 50 it seemed the car rode fairly rough? Do the tires wear even at 50 PSI? 

As a side note, I have a 98 3/4 ton Suburban with Michelin Ribs on it that are about 7 years old. I'm getting them rotated and rebalanced today, everytime the tech does this he mentions the age, but I think they won't give me grief until about 10 years old at which time I will replace.

• 7 months later...

I have 25,000 miles on our OEM Michelin 2013 tires, which were made the 45 week of 2012.  At an oil change two weeks ago they were measured at  4/32-6/32.  The car is 95% used in-town and I plan on replacing them with Michelin tires at the next Costco sale, probably the Premier A/S.  Good mileage is not an important requirement anymore, but being reasonably quiet is.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, ArizonaEnergi said:

I have 25,000 miles on our OEM Michelin 2013 tires, which were made the 45 week of 2012.  At an oil change two weeks ago they were measured at  4/32-6/32.  The car is 95% used in-town and I plan on replacing them with Michelin tires at the next Costco sale, probably the Premier A/S.  Good mileage is not an important requirement anymore, but being reasonably quiet is.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm thinking about these.  I notice the Michelins went on sale today.    If you get them, can you post about how quiet they are?   Thanks.

The Michelin Energy Saver A/S at Costco looks like a good choice for low nise after doing some research.  Costco also has the Primacy MXM4 which has run flat capabilities, which could be useful.  But I see comments that run-flat should only be used ion cars that came with them.  Anyone have an opinion on that?

Edit - I see I had a comment on them way back in 2013! 

"As I recall on the Honda Odyssey forum, people who got run-flat tires as an option or feature couldn't wait to replace them. They almost universally hated them."

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

I got my C-Max Energy in Feb 2017.   I don't drive much, only 13,500 miles, 70% on Washington DC streets.

Just got my tires rotated.  Dealership measured after the rotation.  7/32 on the fronts, and 3/32 on the backs.  They told me I should probably replace in the spring.

I don't drive aggressively, but that's a lot of wear on only 13,500 miles.

Costco has a deal for 70 off tires, 40 off installation on the Michelin Energy Saver A/S.  

I ended up buying the Michelin  Premier A/S at Costco.  I probably jumped the gun on replacing at nearly 7 years and 4-6/32 still on them, as the Costco guy questioned me about it.  But decided to just do it and maybe a a quieter ride and not be concerned about the age problem.  Note that Michelin says 10 years is the max from the above link.  So it goes.

Edit:  I forgot to mention that I had been experiencing wheel-spin on dry payment when starting out lately.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

11 minutes ago, ArizonaEnergi said:

I ended up buying the Michelin  Premier A/S at Costco.  I probably jumped the gun on replacing at nearly 7 years and 4-6/32 still on them, as the Costco guy questioned me about it.  But decided to just do it and maybe a a quieter ride and not be concerned about the age problem.  Note that Michelin says 10 years is the max from the above link.  So it goes.

Keep track of your gas mileage to see what the difference is.

Paul

15 hours ago, ptjones said:

Keep track of your gas mileage to see what the difference is.

Paul

I only drive this car around town and no longer pay much attention to mileage, just how many EV miles I get, which has been dropping.  I can't remember the last time  I got over 20 miles.  Now its 18-19.  So the new tires may drop that to 17.5-18.5, and may not be noticeable.  I'm mainly interested in quiet tires as I listen to books while driving hither and yon.  And I forgot to mention one reason for buying new tires a bit early - I've been experiencing front wheel spin when starting out on dry payment, which to me means a drop in gripping which can't be good for safety.

I'd be surprised if you could see a difference in mileage between Michelin ES/AS and Premier AS. I never saw a difference when switching to/from snow tires twice a year. Of course, mine's not a plug-in, so I was looking at trip mileages, not EV distance. 

Available data says there could be 1-1.5% difference, but likely not worth what you give up.  

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=237

Comparing user reviews, it's clear you have a better tire, if only based on snow performance (not a big factor for you, I suspect)

Premier: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

Energy Saver: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=AS

And I'm still recommending Michelin's CrossClimate+, which got my interest due to 3PMS rating, but which also seem to be one heck of a tire in all conditions!!

Have fun,

Frank