how/where to add trans fluid?

rmhuntley

I have a '13 c-max hybrid that was in an accident before I owned it. the trans casing is cracked and it weeps fluid.   I was told by my dealer to check the fluid ever 1k miles or so and add as necessary.   I went in today to get an oil change and have them top off the trans and was told that it was a sealed unit and therefore they cannot to it off.   They were nice enough to quote me $15k for a new trans and installation.....  I know that according to alldata you can top off the trans fluid, and there is certanily a drain plug, but I can't seem to find the fill/check plug(s). any assitance would be great. 

• 5 months later...

I used that vid above with the brown c-max this weekend and found it -very- difficult to find the fill plug. The drain is super easy. I would say this, it is on the backside of the transmission, and at an up-angle -facing- the firewall, close to the cat.

I also found it -very- challenging to break it free. I cut a small piece of 1/2” pvc pipe I had to put on the Allen wrench as a small cheater-bar.

• 3 years later...
On 12/18/2022 at 1:38 AM, Lacienega said:

Did you access the fill plug from the top or from underneath? 

According to ford you have to remove the air cleaner, air cleaner outlet pipe and cowl panel in order to get to it?

Forget about that plug on top.  I used the check plug hole on the side as described here.  Turn the wheels full left then reach in front of the left tire, pull up a mud flap and you can see it.  A bit cumbersome but not that hard.