Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

EV Mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   psylane

psylane

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationWA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:c max hybrid sel

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:07 PM

Hi, 

Looking for an answer to how to keep the car on the EV mode all the time to get myself a better mileage like Mr. PTJones was telling in one of his videos in YouTube. I can see on his car screen, before you start the engine ..is on the EV mode and basically running on EV Mode all the time even when it was running on 60-65. I'm Currently averaging like 37 and I know I can do Better. Just bought it a week ago and I'm loving it. 

Thanks 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2,033 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:43 PM

Hi, 

Looking for an answer to how to keep the car on the EV mode all the time to get myself a better mileage like Mr. PTJones was telling in one of his videos in YouTube. I can see on his car screen, before you start the engine ..is on the EV mode and basically running on EV Mode all the time even when it was running on 60-65. I'm Currently averaging like 37 and I know I can do Better. Just bought it a week ago and I'm loving it. 

Thanks 

Impossible. The internal combustion engine (ICE) must run to charge the high voltage battery so the car can run in EV mode.  Put up the Empower screen in the left hand display.  You may see a white color curved bar (ICE running), a blue colored curved bar (EV), a blue outlined curved bar (ICE on/off threshold).

So, if in EV mode, blue ouline is higher than blue bar.  If blue outline drops below blue bar, ICE comes on.  If ICE is on, blue outline is below white bar.  Back off throttle to lower white bar below blue outline and EV is on.  As State of Charge of the HVB falls, blue outline bar will drop.

It's a matter of pulse and glide technique, using hills to your advantage, and efficiently charging the HVB.  Practice amd dedication will increase EV mode operation and better fuel economy.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 22 November 2018 - 09:10 PM.

• JAZ, ptjones and psylane like this

#3 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,680 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:53 AM

A ScanGaugeII or other OBDII gauge is useful in monitoring your SOC( state of charge) of the HVB( high voltage battery) I personally like Hybrid Vehicle Battery :) , but anyways you can watch your SOC and the useful range is 40-55% SOC actual on ScanGaugeII which is about the center third of the Smart Gauge.  I would recommend you watch the video a few more times to get a better idea of what's going on the displays and ScanGaugeII.  It just takes practice and eventually you will do it automatically with thinking. :)

Paul

• psylane likes this

#4 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 442 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 23 November 2018 - 03:56 PM

At 60-65 mph the engine is going to run 90%+ of the time. With a full battery and ideal conditions I've never been able to go more than a few miles without the engine kicking in, and that's at around 30mph.
  • psylane likes this

#5 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,680 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 23 November 2018 - 04:56 PM

At 60-65 mph the engine is going to run 90%+ of the time. With a full battery and ideal conditions I've never been able to go more than a few miles without the engine kicking in, and that's at around 30mph.

You should be EV alot more than that, 30-40% EV check on your next trip. You might want to look at my Gas Mileage YouTube video again. :)

I just made trip a week ago to Lexington, KY with the temps in the 40's, averaged 59.1 mph, 50% EV , 50.8 mpg Fuelly.comAttached File  KYtrip.JPG   94.52KB   0 downloads

Paul

#6 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 899 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 24 November 2018 - 03:04 PM

We just finished an Interstate trip of 730+ miles at posted limits (mostly 65 or 70) except last two hours in rain but averaging maybe 60 mph.  Got 42 mpg using ECO cruise with 30% EV.  No grill covers, 87 fuel (mostly E0), 35 to 45F, "rolling hills", and near capacity load.

• ptjones likes this

#7 OFFLINE   psylane

psylane

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationWA
  • Current Vehicle:c max hybrid sel

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:37 AM

Exactly, that the problem, I'm facing too. Can't just make it run in EV mode. Its Impossible.

Thank you for the response.

#8 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,680 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:59 AM

It would be interesting to monitor your EV problem with a ScanGauge to see what is going on. :headscratch:

Paul

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·