Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody know how to keep the recycle air on?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zalusky

zalusky

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 150 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:Ford CMAX SEL

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

I hate breathing outside air given how much rush hour traffic I drive in.  Yet it seems the HVAC seems to to turn of the recycle button.  I know defrost turns it off but it seems like I have to manually turn it on everytime I start the car.  My other cars did not do this.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

I hate breathing outside air given how much rush hour traffic I drive in. Yet it seems the HVAC seems to to turn of the recycle button. I know defrost turns it off but it seems like I have to manually turn it on everytime I start the car. My other cars did not do this.

My Passat requires recycle air be turned on everytime the car is started. I always thought it was a safety issue to ventilate the car on start.

#3 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

All of my recent "electrically controlled" cars have defaulted to outside air every time the car is restarted.  By electronically controlled, I mean where the setting is not a physical switch or toggle, but instead just something that is controlled by the computer when you hit a touch-screen or a button.

Only cars with an actual switch or toggle would stay in recycled air. 

#4 OFFLINE   Catmobile

Catmobile

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 42 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCharlotte
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

The owner's manual says: "Prolonged use of recirculated air may cause the windows to fog up" and "To reduce humidity build-up inside your vehicle, do not drive with the system switched off or with recirculated air always switched on."  This is under "Climate Control"/"Hints on controlling the interior climate."  I assume this is why Ford decided to make it a manual switch.

#5 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

I hate that there is no "vent" mode.
  • obob and MI C-max like this

#6 OFFLINE   Tdefny

Tdefny

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 285 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew York
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Energi, '02 Prius, '00 Town & Country

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:15 AM

I agree about a basic "vent" mode. It is annoying in the hybrid, but more so in the Energi because running the HVAC cuts 3 or 4 miles of EV range. This is less so if the air is turned down low and the heat is turned off, so the electric heater doesn't draw current. I don't usually run the system in EV unless the windows start to fog, but this is not a good option.

#7 OFFLINE   MikeB

MikeB

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Turn the Temp selector below 60, and it goes to Lo. Make sure the AC is off, recirc is off, and you're getting unheated outside air. That's the 'vent' mode you are looking for.

• ptjones and cbharvest like this

#8 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,558 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

I used that button a lot during my long trip , I think it only stayed on for 15-20min. I didn't find anything in the manual to get it to stay on.

#9 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Turn the Temp selector below 60, and it goes to Lo. Make sure the AC is off, recirc is off, and you're getting unheated outside air. That's the 'vent' mode you are looking for.

Except for if I direct air to the windshield. That seems to always turn on the compressor and usually the ICE.

I found though that keeping the feet or face on at the same time will reduce the frequency of the compressor kicking in for the defog.
  • BuffaloMax likes this

#10 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

But the fan stays on - and the lowest fan setting is still pretty high...

Vent mode is with no fan, the air is pushed into the vehicle via just the pressure when the car is in motion.

#11 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Damn, the recycle setting shuts off *quick*. What the heck is the time limit, 5 minutes? Maybe 10 minutes tops?

This is really annoying.

I have never seen a vehicle where the recycle setting auto shuts off *while in use*.

#12 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Damn, the recycle setting shuts off *quick*. What the heck is the time limit, 5 minutes? Maybe 10 minutes tops?

This is really annoying.

I have never seen a vehicle where the recycle setting auto shuts off *while in use*.

My Passat does that after 15 minutes, always thought it was a diesel thing.

#13 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Our TDI Jetta and TDI New Beetle would not shut it off while using them... They would reset when we power cycled the engine or shut off if we turned off defrost...

#14 OFFLINE   Maximus

Maximus

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 97 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:Prius

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

I hate that there is no "vent" mode.

Can't you take it off Auto mode, and then press the arrow-to-the-face button?

#15 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

[quote]Can't you take it off Auto mode, and then press the arrow-to-the-face button?[quote]

Still runs the fan.

There is no way to turn the fan off.

Vent mode is where the system is just opened to the outside air, and the only thing moving the air is the motion of the vehicle.

Some cars have it, some cars don't. Some have it but its a secret way to turn it on. I had a Jeep Liberty that didn't have it but the fan control was a dial. I took out the dial, took it apart and figured out how to make an "off" setting. There was a 1,2 and 3. I added a zero, using a dremel tool and some silicone. :)

#16 OFFLINE   C-MaxJaxon

C-MaxJaxon

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 254 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max SEL

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

I thought all vehicles brought in a small amount of fresh air from outside, even when the climate control is off or in the recycle mode. Otherwise, if the cabin is nearly air tight, you'd pass out and maybe die when the CO2 level got too high.

#17 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Cars are not sealed tight enough that we would pass out or die... Otherwise people would die when sitting in parked cars.

No, vent mode allows the airflow from driving to push air. At 70mph it can be as strong as having the fan on. Around town it is just enough fresh air to prevent window fogging... :)

Older cars had actual vents that would open, often in the floorboard or side panel behind the firewall.

#18 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Cars are not sealed tight enough that we would pass out or die... Otherwise people would die when sitting in parked cars.

No, vent mode allows the airflow from driving to push air. At 70mph it can be as strong as having the fan on. Around town it is just enough fresh air to prevent window fogging... :)

Older cars had actual vents that would open, often in the floorboard or side panel behind the firewall.

Don't forget those vent side windows. :)

#19 OFFLINE   MI C-max

MI C-max

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 55 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMonroe MI
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SEL Hybrid

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

I stumbled on to this thread looking for a solution to a true "vent" for my C-max hybrid ... I read this post and started laughing!  My first car was a 1974 Plymouth Duster, at the firewall beneath the dash on both sides of the vehicle, were black boxes with doors and little lever locks on them.  When you opened the door, that was the fresh air vent.  The geniuses at Chrysler / Plymouth made it literally a vent too - no filters, no screens - bugs would find their way into the vehicle through those little trap doors!  Oh how I wish for a modern version of those vents now ...

#20 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

All of my recent "electrically controlled" cars have defaulted to outside air every time the car is restarted.  By electronically controlled, I mean where the setting is not a physical switch or toggle, but instead just something that is controlled by the computer when you hit a touch-screen or a button.

Only cars with an actual switch or toggle would stay in recycled air. 

Wonder if the factory doesn't want owners breathing interior cabin air for long periods in case there are fumes being emitted from the vents in the back for the battery pack? Just a thought? ;)  

Edited by mtb9153, 07 October 2013 - 12:27 AM.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·