Hybrid vs Hybrid Energi

Flavioguy

Newbie here.  I'm considering purchasing a 2017 C-Max Hybrid.  My dilemma is should I get the straight hybrid or hybrid energi.

I'm leaning more towards the Energi model because I live in a small town (10K pop) and nothing is far away.  This means that the car rarely reaches normal operating temps especially in the winter.  I think the Energi model would work best in this scenario.   Thoughts?

I've noticed a few new Energi models and lots of barely used 2017 models.  The depreciation on these cars seems pretty dramatic!!  Was 2017 the last model year?

We currently drive a 2012 Kia Soul that has been an excellent vehicle but on long drives it's quite tiring.  I believe the C-Max would serve us better in that mode.

Before you make a decision, be sure you understand how you need to operate the Energi to mitigate the degradation of the high voltage battery. In addition, you’ll want to know how much the HVB has already degraded by fully charging it and drive it in EV mode until It kicks into hybrid operational mode and read the kWh of energy depleted from the HVB. This is the EV usable kWh of the HVB which when new is around 5.5 - 5.6 kWh. Go to the C-Max Energi forum and read.

The issue with the Energi in cold weather, especially if the HVB has significantly degraded, is your usable EV range may approach single digit miles at higher speeds, the engine may need to start anyways just like the hybrid would, and you may freeze your butt off when turning off the electric heat to conserve energy in the HVB. :)

Newbie here.  I'm considering purchasing a 2017 C-Max Hybrid.  My dilemma is should I get the straight hybrid or hybrid energi.

I'm leaning more towards the Energi model because I live in a small town (10K pop) and nothing is far away.  This means that the car rarely reaches normal operating temps especially in the winter.  I think the Energi model would work best in this scenario.   Thoughts?

I've noticed a few new Energi models and lots of barely used 2017 models.  The depreciation on these cars seems pretty dramatic!!  Was 2017 the last model year?

We currently drive a 2012 Kia Soul that has been an excellent vehicle but on long drives it's quite tiring.  I believe the C-Max would serve us better in that mode.

Electric cars (including PHEVs) appear to depreciate quickly because of the tax incentives on the car. Essentially, after tax credits, a C-Max Energi cost roughly the same (and in cases cheaper) than the C-Max Hybrid. The Plug in cars used prices reflect the cost to buy, including the amount of tax credit available; which makes the depreciation appear high compared to sticker price.

Edited by raadsel

Agree with Paul on the extra space in the hybrid. Also, when we (my, wife, and dog) take long road trips (many 4+k round trips), the Energi’s raised floor in the hatch would require us to pack stuff to the roof blocking view out the rear view mirror.

Here’s a couple of links on INL testing and graphs of battery degradation and a recent thread on the Energi forum on a recent purchase of an Energi with significant battery degradation. Do your due diligence on any prospective purchase of an Energi.

. http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/7101-hvb-tests-c-max-hybrid-idaho-national-lab/?do=findComment&comment=69889

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/7404-battery-degradation/?hl=degradation&do=findComment&comment=71648

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/7979-thinking-of-buying-a-2013-energi/

Excerpt from third link.

“Fully charged the c-max today. It took about 4 hours. Got in the car to drive and it showed 92% battery after just backing out of the driveway.

My daughter did some leisure driving around the neighborhood which is moderately hilly. Had defrost on and radio and her seat warmer was on 1.

Battery went completely dead after 9.6 miles and 3.2kwh.”

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

• 2 months later...

Greetings! newbie here. have a question regarding 2014 december ford C-max Energy (plug-in). after purchasing i've been told that the main weakness of C-max is a transmission. could you please tell me is it true and what are the disadvantages and the weaknesses of this vehicle. thank you in advance! looking forward to hearing from you

Some transmissions have failed due to bad bearing(s) on the transfer shaft. The shaft will ultimately bore a hole in the transmission casing. See the attached.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_id=2319http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_id=2319

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/5257-transmission-leak/page-3

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

That's a good question.  I believe sometime in 2015 Ford may have made changes to the transmission based on the following:

• on or before 3/1/2015, based on Ebay listings for transmissions, early transmission through 3/1/2015 are shown to fit only MY 2013,14, and 15.
  • on or before 8/15/2015 based on the TSB 16-0105 - "Some 2013-2016 Fusion, MKZ and 2013-2015 C-Max vehicles equipped with an HF35 transmission and built on or before 8/15/2015 may exhibit a thumping/rubbing or grinding noise coming from the transmission".
  • no new TSB has been issued extending the coverage of CSP 14B07 (November 9, 2015) which included 2013, 2014, and 2015 C-MAXs and expired May 31, 2016 covering the issue regardless of miles. 
  • The latest TSB 17-0039 (April 20, 2017) simply updates the service procedure but does not change the 8/15/2015 build date. However, it does include some 2016 MY C-Max.  "Some 2013-2016 Fusion, MKZ and 2013-2016 C-MAX vehicles equipped with an HF35 transmission and built on or before 15-Aug-2015 may exhibit a thumping/rubbing or grinding noise coming from the transmission".

If I were buying a used C-Max, I'd look at MY 2016+ built well after the 8/15/2015 date and more likely a MY 2017 as it should have a "good" transmission.  If Ford would issue a TSB on the issue extending the warranty / mileage of early MYs, I might consider an earlier MY.  But then again maybe Ford will issue another TSB that includes MY 2017. :)

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer