Sync Radio is dead... Loud Popping... Dangerous to drive

So I know there are several posts but no solutions to this issue...I've been looking for a while now and haven't seen one.

My 2013 C-Max will be heading in and I'll update this thread with their findings and hopefully solution.

This issue started in August of 2018 and has gotten worse. For a while I was able to turn off the car and turn it back on to solve the issue temporarily but it has made my C-Max a dangerous vehicle to operate.i currently drive the car with the radio's fuses pulled.

WHAT IVE TRIED

I've pulled the fuses(69&79)

I've let the car site with the fuses pulled

I've run the ICE with fuses pulled

I've unplugged the CD player(suggested)

I have a couple of focuses(2016) at my job that are also experiencing this issue. From my research this issue is either the radio, the ACM, or both. I have a new radio on the way for one of the focuses but I haven't been able to find a C-Max radio.

It would be nice to know whether there are any DTCs associated with the ACM and Digital Audio Control Module C. There are DTCs associated with the microphones. In the trouble shooting there apparently are conditions where "a loud, low frequency noise is heard from the audio system with the audio system off." If no DTCs then, there are pinpoint tests, ground tests and so forth for the microphones.

The noise cancelling microphones are input into the DACMC along with an Amp enable signal from the ACM and the left and right speaker channels. Power is from fuse F22 in rear junction box. The DACMC outputs to the speakers.

So, you should test to see if the noise is present with F79 and F69 in place and microphone connector pulled from BCM and fuse location under glove box. This will eliminate the microphones and circuits if noise is still present.

Also, this test might be supported on the SE:

post-167-0-86030100-1553726789_thumb.jpg

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Sounds like my old problem described here.  I've had 79 pulled for a long time to kill the noise (and radio!) because, as ubrkifix says, its dangerous - scares you half out of your wits its so loud.  Just tried again with fuse back in.  At first there was no noise and radio wouldn't turn on.  After turning car On/Off a time or two (I think) the noise suddenly started (seemed to be set off by closing driver's door) and radio would turn on.  Noise was now almost continuous - like intermittent bursts of static - really awful.  I could start the "walk around test" and possibly here some little pops or something from various speakers but all the noise obliterated the test, I guess.  Plus I don't know what the test is supposed to sound like.

Which connector is for the mics?  I'll have to go look for it.

EDIT:  I see two cables going to gray connectors of different sizes.  Cables have big stickers with ACD on one, ASD on the other.  Do these have anything to do with the mics?  I got into the walk-around test again without much noise this time but didn't really hear anything.

Edited by SnowStorm

Thanks Plus 3!  Tried again with everything connected and got continuous blast of "static".  Turned car off, pulled the connector, turned car on and got only occasional faint and random "ticks".  Radio would turn "on" but no sound even with volume all the way up.  Tried again with connector plugged in and this time there was minimal static and radio wouldn't turn on.  Seems to be rather random as to what the radio display does but there is never any audio, just varying amounts of "static".

So, back to leaving F79 out. :sad: