2020 Escape Hybrid

markd

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/escape/2020/

I like the looks.  

plug-in battery will have a capacity of 14.4 kWh - 30 mile range seems low unless Ford is only going to allowing charging to about 70% or so.

Ford will begin shipping all versions of the Escape except the plug-in hybrid, which will be released about six months later in the spring of 2020.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

"A briefcase-size battery...is good for up to 550 miles". Hmm in warm weather, we're used to a 700+ range in our 2018 C-Max.

From Autoweek:

The regular Escape hybrid uses a briefcase-size battery under the floor and is good for up to 550 miles of total range with a full tank of fuel. The plug-in has a larger battery (14.1 kWh vs 1.1 kWh), good for 30 miles of pure electric range. Charging time on the plug-in is 3.5 hours on a Level 2 charger, 10-11 hours on a 115-volt home plug. New for 2020, both Escape hybrids have four hybrid-specific modes that include auto EV (the vehicle decides whether to run gas or electric), EV now (all-electric driving), EV later (all gas-powered driving) and EV charge (drivers can continue to charge the battery while driving to generate electric-only miles later). The cargo area is about 3 cubic feet smaller in the hybrids (37.5 to 34.4 behind the second row) due to the placement of the 12-volt battery in the rear.

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/family/2020-ford-escape-here#ixzz5jx6f1lKc

Edited by jmcgliss

Personally, I'm not a fan of the dial instead of a "gear" shift.  And way too many buttons on the steering wheel.  But otherwise, I might be in the market for the plug-in version (if I live that long).  Until then, I still  :wub2:  my ice storm sel.

Oh, and I'd love to have the heads-up display.

Cheers.

Well, I must say, the hybrids do look like great replacements for the C-Max (except price???).

What I like or found interesting:

• Good overall styling - a lot better than some competitors.
  • Awesome rear seats with all that adjust-ability.  Really nice to be able to trade passenger room with luggage space as needed.  And as one report stated, more rear legroom than a Suburban!  Really?  I checked it out - its true - one whole inch more!  Pretty funny.
    EDIT: Car and Driver says "In nonhybrid models, the rear seat now slides fore and aft...".  Where is the seat positioned in the hybrids?
  • More ground/curb clearance (I hope - haven't seen numbers yet)
  • 2000 lb towing - that better be for hybrid versions too.
  • What appears to be better packaging of the batteries.
  • Nice sunroof.  Does it open by having the glass slide back on top of the car?  That's what it looked like in one of the pictures.
  • More knobs than cup holders!
  • Lots of technology of course and with an optional HUD.  Is that going to seem like a gimmick or one of those "now that I have it I can't live without it" sort of things?

And I bet it gets more advertising than the C-Max did!

Edited by SnowStorm

There is a lot to like on the new Escape but in comparing it to my c-max...

The only things I don't like about the c-max are the ground clearance and turning radius.

If the Escape mpgs are around 38 then I don't really want to go backwards from c-max mpg's of 43 (I get 45).

Not crazy about the caved in sides of the escape either, looks like it got t-boned in the side.

Edited by homestead

Doesn't seem like a very big battery pack for the hybrid version, although I haven't been able to find the Kwh rating of the C-MAX hybrid to compare.  I guess it makes sense for Ford because they can basically tool up for one car then.  I hope they are just being conservative with the MPG though, I'm certainly going to be shopping around next time.

There is a lot to like on the new Escape but in comparing it to my c-max...

The only things I don't like about the c-max are the ground clearance and turning radius.

If the Escape mpgs are around 38 then I don't really want to go backwards from c-max mpg's of 43 (I get 45).

Not crazy about the caved in sides of the escape either, looks like it got t-boned in the side.

C-Max EPA combined rating was 40 mpg, same as 2019 RAV4 hybrid.  I would think Ford will try very hard to meet the RAV4 competition which means 40 mpg again, just like the C-Max.  We'll see.  Don't think I like the concave sides either but it sure wouldn't stop me from buying one.

Doesn't seem like a very big battery pack for the hybrid version, although I haven't been able to find the Kwh rating of the C-MAX hybrid to compare.  I guess it makes sense for Ford because they can basically tool up for one car then.  I hope they are just being conservative with the MPG though, I'm certainly going to be shopping around next time.

C-Max hybrid is 1.4 kW-hr but we know the "active range" is more like half that amount.  I expect with further engineering and field experience with the C-Max Ford decided that 1.1 kW-hr is adequate - and I could easily believe it.  OTOH, the plug-in Escape is said to be 14.1 versus 7.6 kW-hr on C-Max Energi, almost double.

Storage behind rear seats is way up, 34.4 (Escape hybrids) versus 24.5 cu-ft. (C-Max hybrid) and 19.2 (C-Max Energi).  I consider that increase a real plus.

OH-NO:  Just noticed that Car and Driver says "In nonhybrid models, the rear seat now slides fore and aft...".  So where is it set on hybrids?  All the way forward to make room for batteries?  So much for having more rear leg room than a Suburban!

C-Max EPA combined rating was 40 mpg, same as 2019 RAV4 hybrid.  I would think Ford will try very hard to meet the RAV4 competition which means 40 mpg again, just like the C-Max.  We'll see.  

According to Wiki "in August 2013 Ford voluntarily lowered the EPA ratings and issued customer rebates. The revised fuel economy ratings were reduced to 45 mpg‑US (5.2 L/100 km; 54 mpg‑imp) for city driving, 43 mpg‑US (5.5 L/100 km; 52 mpg‑imp) for combined and 40 mpg‑US(5.9 L/100 km; 48 mpg‑imp) for highway."

But they changed the ratings a couple times and we got 2 checks from Ford. :  )

From Autoweek:

Finally, a new 2.5-liter Atkinson-cycle non-turbo four will pair with the Escape hybrid powertrain, putting down either 198 hp or 209 hp total with battery assist. There will be both a plug-in and a standard Escape hybrid. The plug-in gets the higher power number.... The hybrids get a continuously variable automatic transmission, or CVT. ...

The regular Escape hybrid uses a briefcase-size battery under the floor and is good for up to 550 miles of total range with a full tank of fuel. The plug-in has a larger battery (14.1 kWh vs 1.1 kWh), good for 30 miles of pure electric range. Charging time on the plug-in is 3.5 hours on a Level 2 charger, 10-11 hours on a 115-volt home plug. New for 2020, both Escape hybrids have four hybrid-specific modes that include auto EV (the vehicle decides whether to run gas or electric), EV now (all-electric driving), EV later (all gas-powered driving) and EV charge (drivers can continue to charge the battery while driving to generate electric-only miles later). The cargo area is about 3 cubic feet smaller in the hybrids (37.5 to 34.4 behind the second row) due to the placement of the 12-volt battery in the rear. ...

In fact, the 2020 Escape is 5 percent more aero efficient than the outgoing model. Ford engineers claim to have looked at everything to reduce drag, including the mirrors, taillamps, front tire spoilers and the fog lamp pockets.
-------

So... plug-ins get 11 more HP! I'm curious about battery size; does the "briefcase" fit under the seat? It would be nice if only the plug-in lost rear legroom. That's one good reason for a 1.1 kWh! I'm curious where they get that 11 HP!!

If it's lower and wider than the 2019 Escape, lower is likely down to the height of the C-Max, but wider is up from +3 in. wider than C-Max. No matter now low the Cd (they don't spec a number, just 5% "better"), the hole in the air is about 10% bigger. Highway mileage will be lower. Around town, it's "200 lb. lighter," but lighter than what?

Paul will still hit 60 MPG, but he's Paul. 

Looks interesting, though.
Frank
Edited by fbov

Per Edmunds the 2018 C-Max versus 2019 2WD Escape (C-Max / Escape) is:

• Weight: 3640 / 3526 lbs
  • Height: 63.9 / 66.3
  • Width: 72 / 72.4
  • Length: 173.6 / 178.1

Comparing horsepower to the 2020 Escape:

• HP: 188 / 198

So why can't they match the C-Max for mileage considering:

• Height about the same
  • Width is +3.4 wider than C-Max if 2020 Escape is +3 over 2019 Escape.  These dimensions would increase the "hole" by only 5%.
  • Weight is -200 from 2019 so that's 3326 for, I assume, the non-hybrid.  We don't know the weight for the Escape hybrid but its not likely to be more than the C-Max.
  • The displacement went up 25% over C-Max but power only by 5%.  The new ICE may be more efficient - leveraging that extra displacement for even better Atkinson cycle efficiency.  Then again, what do I know?
  • Perhaps some more control algorithm refinements.

We'll have to wait and see but I do hope they hit 40 mpg combined.

P.S.  I wonder what tires they will use.