FOOT ACTIVATED LIFTGATE IS INTERMITTENT

BWP

We're experiencing intermittent operation of the foot activated liftgate.  We've tried it with both key fobs and have ruled that out as a source of the problem.  Periodically it will either not activate at all, or it will unlatch the hatch but not raise it. 

Is there some sensor that needs cleaning off?

With my luck, I'll take it to the dealer and they wont be able to replicate.

Any input will be appreciated.

If the doors are locked, the first kick unlocks.   The second kick activates the lift.  

As my Grandpa said: "You just gotta old your mouth right sometimes".

Mine don't work that way. If the doors are locked, it opens with one kick and the doors stay locked. When I kick again to close it, it closes and the lights blink to tell me it is closed and the doors are still locked. With the doors unlocked it opens with one kick but the lights do not blink when I close it. I stand in the center of the car and kick straight forward under the bumper and stepback a step as I bring my foot back. Works every time.

If the doors are locked, the first kick unlocks.   The second kick activates the lift.  

That is not my experience and it is not what is described in the owners manual.

Here is what the owners manual says:

To open or close using the hands-free liftgate feature

(with intelligent access only):

1. Make sure you have an intelligent

access transmitter within 3 feet

(1 meter) of the liftgate.

2. Raise and lower your leg, moving

your foot toward and away from the

rear bumper (similar to a kicking

motion). The liftgate will power

open/close.

Note:

Allow the power system to open the liftgate. Manually pushing or

pulling the liftgate may activate the system’s obstacle detection feature

and stops the power operation.

I think that a sticking latch/weatherstrip causes the obstacle detection feature to activate and stops operation.  Once operation is stopped a second kick will reactivate it--at least for some people as reported in posts here.

But as I posted I think the root cause is sticking and, at least for me, application of silicone grease solved the problem.

Thanks for the input.

Here's what I found after trying the foot activation several times with the car locked and unlocked.  If its locked, it took me two foot kicks...one to unlock and the next to lift the gate.  If unlocked, just 1 foot kick was required.  I didn't see this addressed in the owner's manual.

I'll also be applying some silicone grease as mentioned above.

Something new this morning...

Parked with a moderate slope downwards (front of car lower than rear), took two presses of the external trunk release button for the power liftgate to open. First press unlatched, 2nd press opened. Previously, regardless of how many kicks it took, it always only took one press.

Thanks for the input.

Here's what I found after trying the foot activation several times with the car locked and unlocked.  If its locked, it took me two foot kicks...one to unlock and the next to lift the gate.  If unlocked, just 1 foot kick was required.  I didn't see this addressed in the owner's manual.

I'll also be applying some silicone grease as mentioned above.

That is how mine is working too.  Two kicks when it is locked, only one when doors are already unlocked.

• 1 month later...

Per the Exterior Engineers at the Irvine CA CMax pow-wow on 02/23, there is a software issue that will address this 1 or 2 kick opening issue. Apparently the software to detect the kick is "asleep" and needs to be woken up so a software patch is due in March to address this issue. Also, the proper way to kick it from back to front, right in the middle. The sensor is located behind and underneath the bumper. When asked if I needed to clean and spray the underneath - he said no need for that, no cleaning/maintenance required unlike the backup camera.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem, but it does not matter if the doors are locked or not. It does not happen every time. Of course each time I have had it at the dealer it works fine for them. The last time they contacted Ford and were told the company is aware of the problem and they feel it is a computer glitch. Recently it has also affected the touch screen. Sometimes the screen will not wake up. I have to stop and put the car in reverse and the screen will wake up. Sometimes I have to turn the car off and back on. the most recently the radio will not turn off or turns itself on and then will not turn off! I sure hope the update comes out soon and takes care of these problems!

This is what the dealer told me today in an email, " I have the technician contacting Ford again he was able to tell me that we are still waiting on an update to for the hybrid sync system which should fix the issues with the screen and the radio system.  The lift gate issue he has found is being investigated and they have not yet found a fix for the lift gate but the technician is asking if there is anything we can try."

Now if we can just find out when the update is coming! :sad:

I spent quite a bit of time experimenting with the rear hatch today.  From the day I got the car, the kick feature was very intermittent, and I was getting frustrated.  I read all the posts I could find and tried various things.  The only thing NOT mentioned in any of the post is how "high" --or close-- you need your foot to the bumper.  Until today, I could only get the hatch to work only 30% of the time.  I tried forward kick, side kick, one way then the other etc.  All without  consistent  results. But I think I finally figured it out!!

My findings:

1. If the car is locked and you just walk up to it, it is still a two kick process --In my case, the leg (foot is better term here) swipe had the best results-- First swipe unlocked, second swipe opened.  If the car is unlocked one swipe opens the hatch
  2. But what I found to be the key, is I needed to have my foot almost swiping just under the bumper.  If I swiped the leg under the car, but the foot near the ground, poor result.  If I stuck my leg farther under still poor results.  However, if I swiped the FOOT just under the rear bumper --literally the foot about an inch or so under the bumper, I got it to work 9.5 times out of ten.  Same thing for closing, swiping the foot under the bumper 1 time, closes the hatch

I'm going to try it a dozen times again tomorrow.  If my finding continues to work --e.g. foot swipe under the bumper-- consistently, I'll see if I can take a video to demonstrate the results.

Anyone find the same thing??

Dale 

The Ford Oasis Special Service Message, #32069, documents this problem and states that "Engineering is currently investigating."  It is not clear to me if there is a connection between this problem and the forthcoming update to SYNC / MFT.  I reported this problem to Ford in September, 2012, but I don't know when Ford Engineering started to actively investigate.

GOT IT  :happy feet:  Works every time --now.  It's all about the foot!  Use the top of your foot and touch it in the center just under the bottom of the bumper.  No need to put your foot under the car, don't need to reach under the car.  Just walk up, in the center, touch the bottom of the bumper with the top part of your foot, works flawlessly every time.  No swiping, no reaching etc.  I'll take pics this afternoon

I'm sure there's a legitimate issue, for earlier cars --mine was built 3/13-- but now that I know how to "touch the bumper" it works great.  I'm so excited lol.

And on a separate note, text messaging now works too; albeit with some limitations, but that"s a different thread.

The love affair just went to another level today :wub2:  :drop:  :sing_rain:

GOT IT  :happy feet:  Works every time --now.  It's all about the foot!  Use the top of your foot and touch it in the center just under the bottom of the bumper.  No need to put your foot under the car, don't need to reach under the car.  Just walk up, in the center, touch the bottom of the bumper with the top part of your foot, works flawlessly every time.  No swiping, no reaching etc.  I'll take pics this afternoon

I'm sure there's a legitimate issue, for earlier cars --mine was built 3/13-- but now that I know how to "touch the bumper" it works great.  I'm so excited lol.

And on a separate note, text messaging now works too; albeit with some limitations, but that"s a different thread.

The love affair just went to another level today :wub2:  :drop:  :sing_rain:

Touching may be a workaround, but that is not how Ford intended the feature to work.  It's a simple swing your leg under the bumper forward back motion.  The last thing you want to do with stuff in your hands is do a flamingo stand.

I must have opened and shut the hatch a dozen times today. With 100% success.

I found I didn't have to 'touch' the bumper, but it's about having the top of your foot directly in the center, and just under the bumper maybe by 2 to 4 inches. The direct 2 kick (unlock then open) works perfect. Would love to hear if others have the same success....:-)

I must have opened and shut the hatch a dozen times today. With 100% success.

I found I didn't have to 'touch' the bumper, but it's about having the top of your foot directly in the center, and just under the bumper maybe by 2 to 4 inches. The direct 2 kick (unlock then open) works perfect. Would love to hear if others have the same success....:-)

My hatch has worked this way since we bought it at the end of November. i.e. one kick if unlocked and two if locked.  Never have had a problem.  I think we have a bunch of clumsy owners with no sense of rhythm LOL.  I enjoy kick dancing with Tip.  I did try somebody's suggestion of one slow kick when locked and no luck for me.

• 8 years later...

How stupid is this? We spend over $40,000 on a car to get a "kick-activated liftgate" and the damn thing only works when it wants to. Oh for the days when we could  live without all this this techno garbage!

I own one of these things and it drives me nuts 'cause it only works when it wants to. 

I also have a little 2012 Japanese product with little tech, good old crank-down windows and a "real" key that gives me none of these headaches. Sure it  takes a little more work , maybe a little WD40 once in a while , but the darn thing works every time and I bet it lasts me 10 years or more without any "software adjustments" . Doubt I can expect that from my shiny new techno buggy that is supposed to practically drive itself.