Passenger Door Rubbing Against Fender

StoBro2

I've had my C-Max SE Hybrid for almost two months now. Over the weekend I had a full load of passengers for the first time. Upon returning home from my trip and unloading some of my junk out of the passenger seat, I heard a rubbing sound whenever I swung the passenger door open or closed. Closer inspection revealed that the front edge of the door is rubbing against the back edge of the right front fender near the bottom. The paint appears to have a scrape where the two panels meet that I'm sure wasn't there when I clay barred the car many weeks ago.

Of course I find this on Christmas Eve, so I won't be able to take it to the dealer for a couple of days.

I see in another thread where someone had a stuck driver's door. Is it possible that the door panel or the fender have shifted? Bolts not tightened properly? I will have plenty of questions to ask when I get to the dealer.

I see this thread hasn't generated much interest, but I'll go ahead and post a follow-up:

I took the car to the dealer. The service people gave it a look and said there is no quick mechanical adjustment they could do, so they sent me to their body shop. The guy at the body shop studied it for a while and said their best approach would be to adjust the positioning of the front fenders. Only the passenger side is actually rubbing, but the driver's side is thisclose. So I'm dropping it at the body shop tomorrow morning and it should be ready by tomorrow evening. They will attempt to get the fenders in their proper locations and they will also have to touch up the paint on the front edge of the door where it was scratched by rubbing against the fender.

I looked at another C-Max the dealer had on their lot and compared to it (door, fender and rocker panel trim alignment was perfectly flush), my car definitely has misaligned fenders. This, plus the eyeglass holder missing half of its hinge mechanism and the dash pad misalignment where it meet the central infotainment pod leads me to believe my car was built on a Monday or Friday. The multitude of MyFord Touch and Sync issues are too common to blame on a day of the week.

I was following your thread too even though I didn't post.  I must say I would be rather pissed off at your situation.  I think my car was built on Friday so I am waiting for the first disappointing issue to happen.  I'll be going outside tomorrow to look at my fenders.  I confess I haven't really looked closely.

The body shop was able to adjust the front fenders into alignment with the front doors. It now looks the way it should have looked when it left the factory. The gaps are more uniform and there is no rubbing. And they washed off all of the road salt spray, so it looks like a black car again!

They gave me a Focus 5-door SEL loaner. It had (unheated) leather seats, a non-MFT audio system and an automatic transmission. Dropping into the Focus reminded me of why I like the C-Max so much. In the Focus, I felt like I was sitting almost on the floor. It was like climbing out of a hole to exit the car. The transmission reminded me of why I never drove anything but manuals for the last 35+ years. It always seemed to be up or down shifting at the wrong time, never when I would want it to. The CVT in the C-Max is much more refined. I still prefer manual transmissions for the control and involvement in the driving process, but the CVT seems to behave the way I think an automated transmission should behave- seamlessly.

Good to hear they fixed it for you, and at least you were offered a loaner.  I've never had a vehicle with problems like you describe, and will double check the seams on my c-max for similar problems.  Hopefully Ford is paying attention, though what you describe just sounds sloppy.  My only suggestion - post some pics ;)