Let is snow, let it snow, let it snow...CMax at Mammoth Lakes, CA

Jus-A-CMax

8324448560_46e29ca539.jpg
Its a tradition for my wife and I to drive up and spend a week and celebrate Christmas at Mammoth Mountain, California. We are both avid snow bunnies - she skies while I am the evil, evil, Dark Side snowboarder.

Mammoth is our mountain, its huge, get tons and tons of snow, awesome runs with lots of trees and powder and its an easy drive to get there. 

Typically, we would always drive to Mammoth in my 06 Jaguar Vanden Plas with a Jaguar box on the top. Its a super comfy ride, tons of power with the V8 engine and these cats climb mountains like they were flat. This cat usually average around 28MPG round trip with a box on the top. The tall gearing helps and the fact that this car lowers itself at speed helps make this car an ultimate highway cruiser - hey, the built this car for the Queen of England. "Oh posh!". Since we are staying a week, we also bring up a lot of food, water and alcoho...and add in clothes, 2 pairs skis and 2 snowboard...it adds up. We fill the rear passenger compartment, boot and then the box on the top.

Also, this cat handles great in the snow, no slippage, heated seats and steering wheels sure makes this a very comfortable drive in the cold.
8324529780_bf211e2398.jpg

Jaguar & Box vs CMax space
This year, we left the Jag at home (which is now her Jag, long story but if you find my post trails, you'll know why), and we took up the new Ford CMax.

The CMax seats folded down nice and flat. The rear head rest came off so we could slot in the water and other short, tall stuff between the seat spacing. To our surprise, everything that once went into the Jaguar interior and the box - COMPLETELY fit inside of the CMax. Holy crap...SPACE winner!

Check out the load...
8323383673_0115742bbe.jpg

I was thinking that we might have to add some rails to the roof to take the box but man, this lil car is a BIG car inside! 

Driving to Mammoth

For those who are not familiar with this drive, it's a pretty easy 290 mile drive from the San Fernando valley to Mammoth Lakes. Its mostly staight and only big mountains to climb in the stretch of road before Palmdale on the 118 and then another stretch after Bishop to Tom's Place. Elevation runs from 600ft to 7900 ft.

My CMax only has about 1600 miles on the odo so its not completely broken in. We started from San Fernando in the peak hour evening traffic but traffic was flowing. I do not expect much from the MPGs getting to Mammoth - everything worked against hybrids: cold temps, uphill, car fully loaded with gas and equipment and as I recall, some windy sections thru Mojave (typical).

The "getting there" stats: 286 miles (69.7EV) that used 8.66 gallons with 33.5MPG. Temps ranged from 50F to typically 20-27F from Mojave to Mammoth Lakes.

The big, big hill climb just outside of Bishop to Tom's Place that chewed up 0.8 gallons over 18 mile stretch with eco-cruise on 65mph (21.51MPGs just this 18 mile climb segment). It was cold, around mid 20s just driving up this section.

Gas used was the 87 Octane, typical of CA winter blend. Average speed was around 60-65mph since I was trying to utilize the EV cut off as much as possible. Typically I would drive around 68-70mph - not going any more since theres always TONS of CHP along this road and they will ding u for doing 70+.

SCC Cable chains
As a long time snow bunny, and one who drives alot to the mountains, I have to say - it's a FOOL who drives to the snow and not have any chains. The weather can change in a heartbeat and if you get caught in a sudden blizzard that dumps powder, you're toast and you know there's a special bend in the road with your name on it, waiting for your brand new spanking car to run and roll into it.

I've seen a ton of accidents include some nice 4x4s and even a Bus eat it in a ditch when the snow dumps. Do yourself a favour and keep a set of chains in the car when you're in snow territory...that $75 can save your $30,000 brand spanking new car.

So this year at Mammoth, it dumped and dumped and dumped. My wife and I truly had a white Christmas there. We had 2 major storms that dumps more than 3 feet of snow - I know I had to dig out the car 3 times for the time I was there. It was so much fun, I had to buy a snow shovel and use it 3 times. Great workout after a hard day in the powder! I did bring an old garden shovel got too heavy and cumbersome. My Christmas present from the wife. Joke.

Let is snow...let is snow...let is snow....
8323389143_0f64bba4d7.jpg

Time to dig out the Max....3 days in a row!
8323388161_c331a366f7.jpg

We did have to put the SCC cable chains on. We got the Z6 which is a low profile cable chains and I've used this plenty of times with my Jaguar on the big 19" low profile wheels, very easy on and it plain works in all sorts of snow conditions. No breakage whatsoever and not damage to tires or wheels in all the years I have used them - I know 'em pretty well.

Surprisingly, theres not much room in the wheel wells of the CMax. However, I did not have much problem putting them on and I consider myself having mid size hands. The Z6 fit really well and the chains worked well when I drove Max around the town in the 1-2" powder and crud around town. 

TIP: If you are contemplating getting these chains for your CMax, make sure you TEST put them on in your garage with leather gloves on so you are familiar with the hook up. Its not fun standing out there with the blizzard winds and chill factor of below zero figuring it all out. Also, do the test with the car loaded - the heavy weight does effect how much room you have in the wheel well. There is a picture of a Dominos Pizza card which shows you how little room there is and even less when the car is loaded with passengers & gear.

Also, you can see how the chains fit, nothing metal on the cable chain is touching the alloy of the wheel

8323389257_4599c7eebd.jpg
8323383783_3148c51c6a.jpg
8324455398_5cdc1b6ea8.jpg

Driving with the SCC Cable Chains
Max handled great in the snow with the chains, no slipping and I liked the grade assist - sure beats tapping the brakes on the downhills.

I did not have this feature in the Jag so thats a nice little find. I always hate touching the brakes in snow as you never want to lock the wheels and start the car spinning on the ice.

Theres been some reports that the traction control is no good in the ice and snow but personally, I had no problem with the traction control at all - I just left it alone but I typically drive very, very conservative in the snow conditions. I've seen too many speedy knuckle heads in their 4x4 go over the side of the roads when the snow is dumping.

Steering was precise and Max was responsive to the turn. No banging of the chains against the wheel wells was noticed but I always drive under 30mph with the chains on. Don't want to wreck them.

Taking the SCC cable chains off

Now, taking the cable chains off was a different story. Leaving town, the car was fully loaded up, I lost about 3/4 to 1/2 inch spacing in the wheel well. Where once I was able to slip in my hand completely, I could not even get my hands to the back of the wheel.

To take off the cable chains, I now had to drive the wheel so that the back connection points was just under the skirt of the car so I could get my hand around the back and unhook the cable connectors. 

Once the back connection was off, I had to slowly back off the car and allow the cables to fall off the wheel. It took longer than I expected but this is the first time I had worked with these chains with this size wheel. I had no such issues with the Jags but I needed my wife's help there as she has smaller hands that could slip to the back of the wheel and grab the connectors.

Driving back home
Getting home had much better stats. Essentially, we're now coming down from 7800ft back to the SF valley. I had a mix of back wind and cross wind but it was much more windier than driving to Mammoth.

So the distance back was 287.1 miles, 7.02 gallons used with 80.6EV miles with 40.8MPG.

Overall MPG for the whole trip was 36.85MPGs, with 573.8 miles (150.3EV) and 15.57 gallons of gas. I estimate the average speed for the trip was around 65mph.

Final Thoughts on the CMax from this trip
One word: AWESOME

This car drives really, really well on the highway and also in the snow. I did not get any slippage and negotiating around the town with the snow covered roads, especially around the idjiot drivers who can't park their car properly before they shoo off to the Boxing Day sales. It steers well between the idjiot mobiles, even with the cable chains.

Driving the highway it does get a little buffeting from the cross winds but thats with any car but it's far less than the Jaguar with a box on top. Aerodynamically, its more efficient than the Jag with box but take the box off, the Jag wins since its sleek and low profile. However, we needed the box to get all our gear & food for the trip so it's a win-win for CMax here.

I totally love the MyTouch Sync system with the Sony speakers. It sounds so good even my older 128bit MP3s. As my wife said, she has electronic envy, especially with the back up camera.

Also, I love the deep door pockets. I can shove in a flashlight, my wallet, cell and even a drink bottle! All within easy access of the driver. Very thoughtful of Ford.

Speaking of doors, I really appreciate the design of the door frame. Not sure what the technical term is, but when you open any door, the top of the door is "under" the roof top. What this means is that when there was a ton of snow on the roof, I could still open the door without having any snow fall back into the car or disturbing the snow when the door opened. I don't have time to clean the roof just to open the door and this worked great! Like I said, I don't know what you call this but practically, I was able to access the car without having to remove snow from the roof. Super.

The leather seats were very comfy and heated seats work great! 

The negatives:
1. CMax lacks a seat memory. When my wife drives and I have to reset the seat afterward, pain in the a$$ but even with my SEL model, you would think this would be standard...but oh no! PS if you guys know where this magic button is....feel free to let me know.

2. I wish the wind screen wipers could have been manually raised up and away from the accumulating snow and the ice underneath. I had this problem with the Jags. That too had the wipers tucked underneath the hood. So this means, I have to be extra cautious to clean the wind screen before driving and not use the wipers just incase they are stuck. If anyone has better ideas here, let me know.

3. The back of the Max always has a ton of crud and crap accumulated, its as if the whole back just sucks all the dirt and keeps it there as the car drives. Nothing I can do here.

4. No heated steering wheel but oh well.

I'll be going back up again in a couple of weeks so it gives me time to think of how to save burning so much fuel going up from Bishop to Tom's Place.

Hope you enjoyed the post as much as I enjoyed driving up the new CMax this Christmas. Top car indeed.

PS If you're up at Mammoth and see a white CMax, that would be me...cheers!

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

It's been a long time coming when we finally got snow on Christmas day at Mammoth. Last year was a bust but this year, good gawd....this year, it did not stop snowing and it's going to be a bumper season for us snow bunnies. I wish I could post more pics but this 500K picture limit is a hindrance.

Oh, there is a picture of a "Dominos Pizza" credit card size next to the tire - it shows you how slim the chains are & how much room there is to hook up the back end of the cable chain - barely. For guys with big hands, this is could be a real problem for them. Ford sure made the wheel wells tight. There seems to be way more room in the Prius.

Speaking of which....I did have one Prius driver ask to see the C-Max and the inside, those Ford ads are working. His final comment was that it was time that an American car company released a hybrid...that is coming from a Prius owner - if I did not hear it, I would not have believed it. Now...if only I get over my FE driving habit and fang past these Prius drivers.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

If I think I might have to clear snow off of the windshield, I try to remember to put the wipers in the service position when I shut it off. That gets them about halfway up the windshield where they can be lifted from the glass for cleaning. I don't recall the exact section of the owner's manual where this is covered, but it's in there somewhere. Within 30 seconds or so of switching the car off, activate the single wipe function, only hold the stalk down until the wipers move up the the service position and then stop. Release the stalk and the wipers should remain in place.

Very interesting, I was a little afraid  of  driving the C MAx im the snow, I am used to ride 4 X 4. Volvo Cross Country.

Your article gives me confidence in my choice of the C Max.

As soon as I get my C Max, I'm going on ski trip to Mont Tremblant.

Thats quite a jump from a 4x4 to a FWD vehicle. The difference is you have better traction, naturally, when going up hill where or when it started to dump than our FWD or RWD vehicles which would have to put on and use chains. As long as you know your limitations with the single wheel drives in the snow and smart enough to use the chains when the conditions call for it instead of being head strong, you'll be fine. 

It doesn't sound like this is the 1st time you've seen snow, so you're cool. 

Can you upload some higher resolution photos of you trip to the gallery?

Done, 1600 res. Enjoy. I also added some extra pics.

If I think I might have to clear snow off of the windshield, I try to remember to put the wipers in the service position when I shut it off. That gets them about halfway up the windshield where they can be lifted from the glass for cleaning. I don't recall the exact section of the owner's manual where this is covered, but it's in there somewhere. Within 30 seconds or so of switching the car off, activate the single wipe function, only hold the stalk down until the wipers move up the the service position and then stop. Release the stalk and the wipers should remain in place.

Hey, thanks for the tip! I did find it, its on page 291under maintenance. I will try it out!

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but we might take a trip to Sequoia at the end of November.  Reading up it is advisable to have snow chains with you for that time of year....

I just took a peek in the front wheel wells of our Energi and was a little concerned about the clearance to the top part of the strut that sticks out close to the tire.  Did you happen to notice if the chain ever made contact to that area?

Thanks so much in advance.

Nice write up.  Enjoyed the story. 

Not surprised that the C-Max does well in snow.  They say the torque of an electric motor is great for snow.  I should be able to try it very soon for the first time in the C-Max.  They are calling for snow today here in Detroit but only on the grass.  Roads are still too warm they say. 

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but we might take a trip to Sequoia at the end of November.  Reading up it is advisable to have snow chains with you for that time of year....

I just took a peek in the front wheel wells of our Energi and was a little concerned about the clearance to the top part of the strut that sticks out close to the tire.  Did you happen to notice if the chain ever made contact to that area?

Thanks so much in advance.

No, if there is a problem, it would be heard. Like any snow chains/cables, keep your speed at 35mph or under. The only issue is the clearance to take them off. I barely put them on with my mid sized hands but I need the wife to get her hands to take them off because of the residual snow/slush/ice. I recommend the low profile Z cables as well and definitely NOT chains.

Nice write up.  Enjoyed the story. 

Not surprised that the C-Max does well in snow.  They say the torque of an electric motor is great for snow.  I should be able to try it very soon for the first time in the C-Max.  They are calling for snow today here in Detroit but only on the grass.  Roads are still too warm they say. 

You're welcome. No issue with the CMax in the snow. I would suggest full grill covers to assist with the warmup cycle though.

No, if there is a problem, it would be heard. Like any snow chains/cables, keep your speed at 35mph or under. The only issue is the clearance to take them off. I barely put them on with my mid sized hands but I need the wife to get her hands to take them off because of the residual snow/slush/ice. I recommend the low profile Z cables as well and definitely NOT chains.

You're welcome. No issue with the CMax in the snow. I would suggest full grill covers to assist with the warmup cycle though.

Thank you.

I'm most likely going to stick with the SCC SZ137s.  I don't think I can afford the Thule K-Summit K33s.  I noticed Peerless/SCC says 30mph, so I'll try to stay at/under that if snow actually falls.  I noticed you have them only on the front.  The chain/cable manufacturer says both front and rear is better, but I was looking in a Prius v manual and it warns to only use them on the front.  I am definitely confused about this...

Traditionally, the power wheels are the one with the cables/chains - as they have to apply the power to the ground and you want traction and not spin.

CMax is a front wheel drive car so I opt for the front only. The best is for all 4 wheels to have cable for best traction but in all my life driving in snowy conditions with the CMax and prior cars, I have never, ever needed chains that bad. On my Jaguar, it was the back, on my Camry, it was the front.

At the end of the day, how you apply & manage your brakes and also how you control the speed is what will mean you go up the snowy banks or keeping the car with traction on the road. Don't be tempted to speed like the lunatics on the left.

By the way, black ice is the worst of the worst. No chains/cables will save you then. Usually under bridges - be super careful. Stay safe :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Traditionally, the power wheels are the one with the cables/chains - as they have to apply the power to the ground and you want traction and not spin.

CMax is a front wheel drive car so I opt for the front only. The best is for all 4 wheels to have cable for best traction but in all my life driving in snowy conditions with the CMax and prior cars, I have never, ever needed chains that bad. On my Jaguar, it was the back, on my Camry, it was the front.

At the end of the day, how you apply & manage your brakes and also how you control the speed is what will mean you go up the snowy banks or keeping the car with traction on the road. Don't be tempted to speed like the lunatics on the left.

By the way, black ice is the worst of the worst. No chains/cables will save you then. Usually under bridges - be super careful. Stay safe :)

Thanks for the warning about black ice!  We lived in Cleveland for a little bit but it never required snow devices because the roads were plowed.  Snow tires were enough.  As I recall it was a real danger on top of bridges as well, as the cold air could get under the road and really freeze it up!  I really wanted to go to the park instead of Vegas because last time I went to a Casino I had a cough for 2 months.  I'll take my chances with ice/snow.  (Driving down the road to Hana in the dark was a challenging one.  Take your time going there they say.  Well, then you end up coming down in the dark, like they do not recommend.  I'm okay at the wheel it seems.)  Definitely will not speed!!!

^^^^^^^The lunatics on the left will sooooon enough be in the ditch on the right :victory:

Looks like a great time, Jus :thumbsup:  Thanks for posting this. Looks like fun. 

I think, I'll take my 4X4 truck if I go on the 9th. :lol:

If anyone sees a C-MAX Energi towards the right in Sequoia at the end of the month, that's probably us.....

• 4 months later...

So I own a dog walking and PetCare business here in Bucks County, PA just north of Philly! Basically I have to drive everyday regardless of the weather and driving conditions. (Comes with the territory of being the Dog Walker!) I don't get to take "Snow Days" off! I purchased my 2014 Ruby Red SEL -NRG in late January and have been driving it so far almost exclusively in extremely cold, and frigid temps, and plenty of snow and Ice - this winter has been brutal. To say that Sparky has been a good car in these conditions is an extreme "understatement"!
This little car has handled every bit of nasty driving conditions swimmingly! Not to mention the added convenience being able to set "Go Times" and have the car precondition itself while still plugged in, so that when I enter the car for my first trip of the day - it is always warm and toasty, and more importantly - fully charged and I don't have to kill my EV range trying to warm the vehicle early in my driving day! This car handles so much better than my 2009 Chevy HHR in the same conditions - and don't get me wrong  I thought the HHR did pretty well! (except for fuel economy)

So basically  - my point being - With the added weight of the larger lithium Ion battery  - this car really does plow through tough, winter driving extremes very well. My friend who has a F150 4X4 rode with me the other day on a 8-10"snow day and was thoroughly impressed with how my little car just plugged along oblivious to the nasty conditions!

post-2926-0-69813400-1426165630_thumb.jpg
post-2926-0-48252800-1426165632_thumb.jpg

post-2926-0-34490000-1426165635_thumb.jpg

So I own a dog walking and PetCare business here in Bucks County, PA just north of Philly! Basically I have to drive everyday regardless of the weather and driving conditions. (Comes with the territory of being the Dog Walker!) I don't get to take "Snow Days" off! I purchased my 2014 Ruby Red SEL -NRG in late January and have been driving it so far almost exclusively in extremely cold, and frigid temps, and plenty of snow and Ice - this winter has been brutal. To say that Sparky has been a good car in these conditions is an extreme "understatement"!

This little car has handled every bit of nasty driving conditions swimmingly! Not to mention the added convenience being able to set "Go Times" and have the car precondition itself while still plugged in, so that when I enter the car for my first trip of the day - it is always warm and toasty, and more importantly - fully charged and I don't have to kill my EV range trying to warm the vehicle early in my driving day! This car handles so much better than my 2009 Chevy HHR in the same conditions - and don't get me wrong  I thought the HHR did pretty well! (except for fuel economy)

So basically  - my point being - With the added weight of the larger lithium Ion battery  - this car really does plow through tough, winter driving extremes very well. My friend who has a F150 4X4 rode with me the other day on a 8-10"snow day and was thoroughly impressed with how my little car just plugged along oblivious to the nasty conditions!

I have to agree.  I think this has been my best winter car ever.  Did very well with just the standard tires. 

attachicon.gifSparky1.jpg

attachicon.gifSparky2.jpg

attachicon.gifSparky3.jpg

If I lived that far north, I'd get a separate set of snow tires for winter use. Are you useing the stock tires?

Steve yes so far using the stock tires that came with the vehicle. When I used to live in South Lake Tahoe I kept a separate set of Snow tires and rims, but that seems like overkill here!Maybe I'll revisit that decision next winter. Right now I am beginning to see twinges of "Spring" so I am dreaming of warmer temps and greenery!  :bliss:

......and higher battery charges and longer EV range!

Edited by Digital Penguin

• 9 months later...

:welcome: First snow trip back to Mammoth Mountain, CA - the Annual White Christmas vacation :)

I started this thread 3 years ago and every year, my family has been driving up to Mammoth about 5-8 trips a year. Sometimes we go at the Thanksgiving long weekend but always, for the Christmas week long trip.

Maxine (my CMax) has been doing great She's aged a bit, hitting around 56,981 miles on the odo. On the same set of tires still and very little issues other than a catastrophic rear ender by a drunken driver in 2013 which was repaired top notch - but she's singing along sweetly. Can't say enough about the CMax SEL, repairability and reliability.

About the drive

It's a 286 miles one way trip (572 miles round), beginning at 1,220 ft elevation (this is the correct elevation per Google) at home and ending at Mammoth Lakes township at about 7,800 ft. It's all freeways but there are towns where you slow to a crawl at 25mph, 35mph and you DO NOT want to speed on this trip. I saw so many CHP I stopped counting and they will nail you with a $500 ticket before you even see them...but there are stupid speeders and you always see them FANG past you and 15 mins later, theres a flashing light..and I will wave to them as they get the ticket.

Its really a pleasant drive. For those who know the way: 210 to the 14 to the 395 and then 203 to finish. 2 major, major climbs - the 14 to Lancaster and then the Sherman grade north of Bishop. These 2 burn major fuel. You have the choice to burn-baby-burn or stick to the right & cruise up. My car is fully loaded and I don't like to push the engine at speeds up these grades and with these loads - we are in no hurry.

I still have my main grill cover for the trip. The Gas Pods are in the back and the PSI is at 48 for the tires. I have run many trips before at the same PSI and its perfectly fine in the snow with/without the cables on.

Driving to the mountain:

We left the temps were around 55F and when we got there, it was a cool at 30F. Driving to the mountain:

23713421480_9d13db00c8_z.jpg

Driving back from the mountain:

23641243419_ca21e13138_z.jpg

:camera: Overall, the trip MPG was 45.9, over 572 miles and 12.47 gallons, fully loaded to the hilt. Hell, I should have tried it with 1 tank but the wife won't have any of it. Its not my best but its the 1st trip since the last update by Ford. I swear my MPGs has been going down since that change...I need to look at my old stats next time.

This is why we go there...

23641247759_066108b1f4_b.jpg

This is why we are season pass holders:

23713423360_0ac0929e49_z.jpg

While I luv the mountain but those prices are OUCH! I know Utah is more competitive but as season pass holders at Mammoth, I am so glad we renew each year. We already "paid" for our pass this week so it's FREE skiing & snowboarding until the end of the season in 2016 :)

Snow conditions at Mammoth:

The snow this year was EPIC. Wednesday was the best, it was storming so all the idiots stayed inside but those who ventured out got the fluffy, big flakes and lightest powder, powder I have seen in a long time. Not quite as epic as Utah champagne powder but a notch below that. You nail one run the the wind and flakes will reset the run the next time you are down. I was in the trees so that provided good reference points in almost white out conditions. The next day, it was a Bluebird day but the snow was no where near as epic as Wednesday during the storm.

This year I did not have to put on the chain going to the mountain or driving back. Yeah, when we got there, there was about nice layer of powder but nothing that warranted cables on the wheels. Maxine was fine climbing up the hill to the motel.

The day we drive back, the storm has passed and the CalTrans cleared the road. :superhero: CalTrans guys are the BEST at keeping the 203 and 395 open, major kudos to those guys :rockon:

Observations:

- A few years ago, :ford:  was heavily advertising the CMax with Mammoth, but this year, I did not see any. Ford actually is a sponsor at Mammoth. I saw lots and lots of Fusion & F150 ads but ZERO Cmax.

- I did not see any CMaxs while I was in town. A Prius or 2. Definitley, lots and lots of NEW SUVs, especially large Denalis and Yukons which is not surprising since the gas prices are low at around $2.79 a gallon here. Lots and lots of new plated cars as well...ghee whez,.. I hope these guys realize that gas goes up, those guzzlers are gonna cost :spend:

Thanks for the read. Next trip will be in mid January, can't wait :play:

Happy Cmaxing till then :shift:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Ahhhh... loved the report.  Glad you all had a great trip but it leaves SnowStorm major jealous as he's about to melt totally away with our 70F+ temps (it you never see me again, you'll know why!).  Well, I guess we could pack up and head for Mammoth too, but that would push The Enterprise well past 90k miles.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!