C-Max reliability - better info

mkaresh

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that included actual repair rates. So a few years ago I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

We've had excellent participation by owners of many Ford models, and provided initial reliability information soon after launch for the new Fiesta and Focus. I'd like to do the same for the C-Max, just a matter of how soon we can get enough owners involved. 

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the C-Max, for free.  I'll share results for the C-Max in this thread after each update.

For the details, and to sign up to help:

Car reliability research

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went to the site to sign up and found out into is not encrypted.  So for the same reasons I have not joined Pandora, I can not join Truedelta until they get a true site encrption.

They should have SSL support, but it's not like they take credit card info or anything.

And regardless if they have encryption or not, you should never use the same password on more than one site anyways, so it someone sniffs the password, they can only get into true delta and nothing else.

• 2 months later...

Same here. My antivirus was giving me a warning so I did not go any further. If you can correct this I will join.

Sorry about this. Someone snuck some adware into a third-party tool. Fixed some time ago. We ended up hiring a security firm to help harden and monitor the site. 

Edited by mkaresh

I went to the site to sign up and found out into is not encrypted.  So for the same reasons I have not joined Pandora, I can not join Truedelta until they get a true site encrption.

We do encrypt passwords in the database. We'll look into encrypting the sign up / login process. Do forums do this?

We have an initial reliability stat for the C-MAX based on owner experiences through March 31, 2013. 

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year: 

2013 C-MAX: 50, moderate

We'll have further updates in August and in November. 

For the details, including the descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help improve this information: 

We do encrypt passwords in the database. We'll look into encrypting the sign up / login process. Do forums do this?

Depends on the amount of money willing to spend.  If you use a Self-Signed certificate (free) then the browsers will display warnings saying they can't verify the security.  If  a certificate is bought from someone like Verisign or Thawte, then the browser won't display that warning.

• 2 months later...
We've updated our reliability stats for the C-MAX to include owner experiences through June 30, 2013. (Another source is about 14 months behind.) 

2013 C-MAX: 54, high

We'll have further updates in November and February. 

To view competitors' scores and descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help: 

• 2 months later...
We've updated our reliability stats for the C-MAX to include owner experiences through September 30, 2013. 

2013 C-MAX: 45, moderate

We'll have further updates in February and in May. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For the details, and to sign up to help improve this information: 

• 2 months later...
We've updated our reliability stats for the C-MAX to include owner experiences through December 31, 2013. 

2013 C-MAX: 28, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2013 C-MAX: 81, 3

We'll have further updates in May and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be. Especially need more 2014s!

To see the repairs behind these stats, and to sign up to help improve this information: 

Edited by mkaresh

• 2 weeks later...

We do encrypt passwords in the database. We'll look into encrypting the sign up / login process. 

Do you salt and one-way hash it with a slow hash (bcrypt or sha-512 with a couple thousand iterations)? 

Do forums do this?

EVERYONE does it. Your customers are reusing their banking passwords on your websites, so you may think it doesn't matter if your users' passwords get stolen... but it matters to them. 

password_reuse.png

https://xkcd.com/792/

Heck, you could probably wreck havoc on a bunch of users here!

Edited by Noah Harbinger