hybridcars.com - interesting article on low resistance tires

Jus-A-CMax

• 3 weeks later...

I took special note that the CMAX may come equipped with Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires. My experience with this tire is limited to the 15" size but having tested a large number of other LRR 17" tires it appears the Energy Saver A/S is the most fuel efficient tire we have in North America. My point? I would be very careful when it comes time to replace them. Most other LRR tires are simply not as efficient. :(

I'm not a tire expert but I spend hours daily researching LRR tires for people on our Prius, TDi and EcoModder forums.

In case you have not read this test yet.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=121

Interesting article from Tirerack. Aside from the obvious, I found it interesting that the difference between the best tires they tested and the worst ones tested would add up to about 2 tanks per year. Wow.
remember that the tires they tested all exhibit LRR characteristics. Had they tested a performance tire or one truly known to be inefficient the results would have been even higher. Still, over the lifetime of the tire the average consumer will save enough money to almost cover the cost of another set of tires. Gotta think long term. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Note that Consumer Reports measures rolling resistance as part of its tire testing procedure, slotting each tire into one of 5 categories.  The Michelin MXV4 is not only a highly rated tire in terms of performance, but also ranks well in longevity and rolling resistance (variables that are reported but don't factor into their ratings).