Powered accessory outlets (12v, USB, Inverter)

valkraider

Based on discussion in another thread, I did some experimentation to get some concrete info.

Here is what happens with electricity provided to the accessory outlets when you turn off the car (based on my experimentation):

USB and the Inverter (the 110v AC plug for the back seat) lose power immediately when the car is shut down.

The 12v outlet in the center console up front stays hot for 30 minutes after shutting down the car.

The 12v outlet in the cargo area does not turn off, it is always hot.

(I am still investigating the 12v inside the arm-rest cubby)

Let us know if your experiences differ....

Edited by valkraider

• 4 weeks later...
Based on discussion in another thread, I did some experimentation to get some concrete info.

Here is what happens with electricity provided to the accessory outlets when you turn off the car (based on my experimentation):

USB and the Inverter (the 110v AC plug for the back seat) lose power immediately when the car is shut down.

Let us know if your experiences differ....

Yah, it looks like I can put my phone on the USB at any time and it will charge.  I just walked down to the car right now and tried it, charge light went on as soon as I plugged it in (one of my 2 USB ports has a USB to phone cable attached at all times).  The car hasn't been 'on' since yesterday afternoon, I didn't even have the access fob with me when I tried it just now.

Yah, it looks like I can put my phone on the USB at any time and it will charge.  I just walked down to the car right now and tried it, charge light went on as soon as I plugged it in (one of my 2 USB ports has a USB to phone cable attached at all times).  The car hasn't been 'on' since yesterday afternoon, I didn't even have the access fob with me when I tried it just now.

But you probably open a door.  That may make a difference.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since I have both a 12 volt charger and, obviously, a 110 volt phone charger, is there a difference in the draw that the two systems make on the car battery?  That is, since I have both, is there one I should use as a matter of routine?

Interesting question.  I guess it depends on which battery powers the 110V outlet as phone charging would have less impact on the big, 480V battery.  Perhaps someone with access to the shop manual can help (hint, hint :)).

From the shop manual:

The DC- AC inverter converts low-voltage (12 volts) DC to 110 volts AC to power a device that uses AC with a rating of less than 150 watts.

I would say that there would be a smaller load on the 12 volt system to use the 12 VDC power outlet to charge the phone.

There would be some efficiency loss in the conversion of 12VDC to 110VAC.

From the shop manual:

The DC- AC inverter converts low-voltage (12 volts) DC to 110 volts AC to power a device that uses AC with a rating of less than 150 watts.

I would say that there would be a smaller load on the 12 volt system to use the 12 VDC power outlet to charge the phone.

There would be some efficiency loss in the conversion of 12VDC to 110VAC.

There we have it; the definitive answer.

• 7 months later...

No, even a small crockpot draws 600w. The max sustained wattage of the on-board inverter is 150w.

Your best bet is to get the crock pot extra good and warm with your product inside, then wrap it up with multiple layers of towels, and put it in a box, then garbage bag over it all. The product will stay hot for an amazing long time.

We have a big cast iron dutch oven that works well for this, I suppose a ceramic brown betty would work too.

Mamalou,

I just looking on-line at some diferent crockpots, and was amazed to see that some only drew 125 watts on the low setting, and one even says 60 watts on the keep warm setting, so I was wrong. Depending on your crock pot, you could very well run it off the on-board inverter, as long as it is under 150 watts. Look on the bottom of the appliance, it should say the amperage needed, and times that by 120 volts to get the wattage. It may say the wattage needed instead, which is even easier. Let me know! The one we have just says 600 watts, but I bet that is only for the high setting, and would be lower on low.