Bicycle hauling

I see that C-Max owners are already looking for racks to fit a C-Max but has anyone tried to see if they can fit a bicycle inside the vehicle by lowering the rear seats and removing the front wheel?  I own two Escapes and they are great for hauling road bikes.  By removing the front wheel the bike will stand upright inside the cargo area and you can easily fit two bikes plus some luggage.  If you don't need the back seat this is a nice alternative to hauling on the roof (and reducing gas mileage) or on a hitch rack where the bikes can get a lot of road grit on them.  I hope to take some measurements soon but the C-Max is still a rare find in my area.

Thanks

I can fit a road bike laying down with the front wheel turned sideways. I had to take the front wheel off to fit a 29er mountain bike. One of the main reasons I wanted a vehicle with a large hatch was so I could fit bikes inside instead of using a trunk rack that is a hassle and lowers my gas mileage significantly on the highway.

I've only been able to get mine in by laying them flat, but I did get 2 in that way (with front wheels removed).  Mine are all MTB's with one 29er which I have yet to try.  They may go in upright, but I did not attempt it, did not seem likely and I didn't want to mar the interior trying.  I think I saw an accessory to load bikes inside (upright) for the European C-max with the lower load floor, so that may be something to check out.

• 3 weeks later...
Gotta pic, I can't seem to visualize what you are referring to (seat post).

Look here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/18842924@N03/8155099947/in/set-72157631928100903

I have a quick release clamp on the seat post, the bike doesn't fit inside with the seat at its normal (riding) position.  I undo the quick release, drop the seat down 4-5" down the seat tube, and then it fits  inside and upright.

Edited by SBGrad

I do a lot of biking and one of my top criteria for a car is that a mountain bike must fit inside without a lot of hassle. In other words, I want to be able to just put it in, close the door, and get going without a lot of finagling.

My Yeti mountain bike fits in the back with the wheel removed, no problem. I turn it sideways and slide it in. Bam. Done. This was no surprise because I'd measured the C Max cargo area before I bought the car, just to be sure. The C Max is near identical in interior size to my previous car, an Audi Q5.

I haven't yet tried to stand it up. If that works, two bikes would probably fit side-by-side. Based on SBGrad's pictures of his antique ( ;) ) mountain bike in the back of his car, I don't think the area is quite long enough for two but I could be wrong.

Edited by mtberman

I haven't yet tried to stand it up. If that works, two bikes would probably fit side-by-side. Based on SBGrad's pictures of his antique ( ;) ) mountain bike in the back of his car, I don't think the area is quite long enough for two but I could be wrong.

You mean my CLASSIC hardtail...  The road bike won't stand up under any cicumstances, so I  can't really try to get 2 side by side.  The next thing I want to try is to see if I can stand up the mtn bike and leave one car seat up as well.  That means I could take 3 people and 1 bike.

Edited by SBGrad

Look here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/18842924@N03/8155099947/in/set-72157631928100903  I have a quick release clamp on the seat post, the bike doesn't fit inside with the seat at its normal (riding) position.  I undo the quick release, drop the seat down 4-5" down the seat tube, and then it fits  inside and upright.

Thanks, it looks much more organized than the last time I had my bike in the back of the C-max. 

Unfortunately the cMax won't work for me. I love my '95 AWD SC/LE Previa which I purchased new and now has 240,000 mi, as with the 2 rear seats folded up, I can easily put two mountain bikes in with both wheels on both bikes, and still have 4 seats (although with two bikes only 3 seats are useable on a long drive as one of the bike handlebars has to take up a little of the head space of one of the two middle seats). Someday though I'll have to buy something new and I'd like to find something soon that gets excellent gas mileage and has AWD. I won't want to take off the front wheel, and I won't want a rack (various reasons, such as winter salt on roads, fear of being rear-ended with a $9K bike, and a roof rack's both a hassle for me at 5'-8" and also adds major drag). Maybe Chrysler's upcoming minivan will be the ticket. I saw a Mitsubishi Delica in Arizona last month - unavailable in the US - but I'd love to have one - the one I saw was 4WD & diesel with right side steering and BC license - looks like a squat and tall minivan...

post-462-0-74959900-1359301070_thumb.jpg

post-462-0-17839600-1359301074_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the cMax won't work for me. I love my '95 AWD SC/LE Previa which I purchased new and now has 240,000 mi, as with the 2 rear seats folded up, I can easily put two mountain bikes in with both wheels on both bikes, and still have 4 seats (although with two bikes only 3 seats are useable on a long drive as one of the bike handlebars has to take up a little of the head space of one of the two middle seats). Someday though I'll have to buy something new and I'd like to find something soon that gets excellent gas mileage and has AWD. I won't want to take off the front wheel, and I won't want a rack (various reasons, such as winter salt on roads, fear of being rear-ended with a $9K bike, and a roof rack's both a hassle for me at 5'-8" and also adds major drag). Maybe Chrysler's upcoming minivan will be the ticket. I saw a Mitsubishi Delica in Arizona last month - unavailable in the US - but I'd love to have one - the one I saw was 4WD & diesel with right side steering and BC license - looks like a squat and tall minivan...

The C-max has enough cargo room for me, but I admit that it won't be carrying bikes in the way you describe.  The Prius V may be worth a look (or second look) - I think I heard an echo when I had the seats down at the dealer, I'm sure a couple bikes would fit, though the front wheels would probably have to be removed.

Edited by CNCGeek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When it's just me, I'll plan to carry my bike inside my C-Max (still on order). But on occasion, it would be good to carry multiple bikes, and I wonder if anyone here has had any experience with the Torklift "ecohitch" for a trailer-hitch mounted rack. It's shown here:

http://torkliftcentral.com/ecohitch_cmax.php

I already have a Thule trailer-hitch rack for the car that's being traded in, and would still like to be able to use it.

Alan

Torklift ecohitch with Thule Helium 3-bike rack is a sweet combination on my C-Max Hybrid.  The Thule rack has a tilt feature that swings the bikes back allowing access to the hatch.  Helium rack with 3 bikes weighs in well under the 200 lb limit of the class I hitch.  Without the bike rack, the 1-1/4 inch receiver is barely visible under the rear bumper skirt.  Ford even anticipated this kind of add-on with an option to disable the back-up alarm when bikes are on the back. 

• 3 weeks later...
Look here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/18842924@N03/8155099947/in/set-72157631928100903

I have a quick release clamp on the seat post, the bike doesn't fit inside with the seat at its normal (riding) position.  I undo the quick release, drop the seat down 4-5" down the seat tube, and then it fits  inside and upright.

Thanks for the pic.  I am pretty sure my wife's road bike would fit.  She is only 5' 3" and I think her road bike is a pretty small frame.