Platinum White owners - what touch up paint are you using?

Jus-A-CMax

Just fixed about 3 nicks using the Ford supplied touch up paint - no way in the world is the paint a close match. For starters, the Platinum White has sparkles in it. this paint has none. 

So my question is - are there any other Platinum White owners out there thats found an alternative touch up paint that is closer to the color of the car?

PS the touch up paint was free so I can't exactly throw it back at my dealer.

I think you will find there is no touch up paint for the tri-coat paints- base color, "sparkle" coat, and the clear coat. What you get is simply the base color. I had the same issue with my 2008 Nissan which is a pearl white tri-coat.

I used http://www.drcolorchip.com/ and found it's the best for small chips up to maybe 1/8". With chips much larger than 1/8", it's difficult to get the paint level with the surrounding area.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it probably won't get any better...  My 2012 SHO is Tri-White and so was my 2010 Flex.  The Flex picked up a couple of stone chips on the front bumper that went all the way down to the black plastic.  The Ford touch up paint only disguised the "black hole" and wasn't even close to a match.  I talked to the pros at the body shop I use and they said that was the best I would get without a professional repaint.  The only other option I can think of is somebody good with an airbrush might be able to do better than the bottled touch up paint....if they get the right paint and clear coat...

• 1 month later...
A yr and a half ago I checked with a body shop after our 5yr old grandson closed the garage door with the liftgate open.

He said he could mix me some but it would be expensive.

wab

^^Why I won't buy another new vehicle with tri-coat paint - pay more when you initially buy and again later when you touch up^^

I don't recall the details (minimum mix quantity like one pint, some in aerosol cans and so forth), but I believe it would have cost me near $150 to buy the base coat paint, mid coat paint, and clear coat from an auto paint shop just to touch up rock chips on the front bumper and hood.

• 3 months later...

I read this thread when I was looking for touch up paint options.  I couldn't find dupli-color or anything else at local auto parts stores and the ones available on Amazon, etc were pretty high dollar.  So, I ended up ordering a Motorcraft bottle with brush and pen from the dealer for about $12 with 2 day delivery.  It matched my ruby red metallic (tri-coat) very well (chips in front).   I've had several metallic tri-coat finishes over the years and they can be very hard to match so I'm very pleased.  Thumbs up.

I looked at the Oxford White and it looks crap next to the Platinum so I guess I have to live with my decision. 

Them there's fightin' words!  :redcard:

White and lighter variations are popular in hot summer Florida.  My last car was a white tricoat, and it looked great . . .  until the chips and scratches started adding up.  Professional touch up was expensive.  The tricoat option costs extra up front and for the later touch ups.  So, I decided to go another route with the C-MAX.  This is exactly why I went with the Oxford White.  I thought, Why go with an expensive paint job, and then they pay for all kinds of extras to protect it, and extra for the repairs?

Once a year, I'll take my C-MAX to a professional, who will do all of the touch up in a way that will match perfectly, keeping the overall new look for a lot longer and for a lot less money than by going with all of the other costly protections and repairs.  Honestly, the Oxford White contrasted against the tinting and Panoramic Roof looks pretty sharp, if I do say so, myself!  :rockon:   It's also a smart money decision, IMHO.

So there, Jus.  You started it!  :hysterical:

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

• 4 months later...

I posted in another thread two companies that state to match our paint. http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1934-platinum-white-owners-check-in/page-3

I decided to be the guinea pig and pick up the Tri-Coat paint pens from these guys. It is currently still on its way to me but I will post before and after photos of my experience in using there product soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to take so long but here is an update as of yet.

I received my order from paintscratch.com, I am sure mtb will agree, the shipping time and packaging of items was above par. We had a bunch of rain come through the past few weeks so I was not able to start my repair until this past weekend. I must say the color match is spot on! I have put on the base coat and one thin layer of mid-coat so far I am sure I should only need on more layer of mid-coat I had just ran out of time to finish the project. Hopefully I can finish this week though. I have taken photos from start to finish to show the masses and will upload later.

To be continued....

I agree shipping time and packaging was top notch.  Haven't tried the product yet but hope to sooner than not  Interesting applicator on the end of a 5 or 6 inch long metal housing.  The applicator is much like a broad tip felt marker.  Shake the pen until the balls inside rattle and fully mix the paint then apply the paint by pushing the felt tip into the scratch and covering with first primer, then the base coat, followed by the clearcoat.  Seems like a great product, we'll see how closely it matches the rest of Maxus Platinum White paint job.

I just ordered an ice storm kit like I think Chuck did from paintscratch; spray cans vs. pens. I have an area above the drivers' side wheel well where there are a bunch of scratches on the door frame. I inherited the car from my Father-in-law, who used a rolling walker to get around. The scratches are from him putting the walker in the back seat... 5600 miles of scratches. I'm glad he stayed active, but I want to address the issue before the snow flies up here (and with it, salt).

Now, for one more somewhat warm day...

HAve fun,

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

It's a couple weeks later and I'm very happy with the results (so far). Ordered Ice Storm in spray can, with laquer, cutting cream and degreaser (naptha). I got the color coats on last weekend, hoping for the clear coat this weekend (got windy Sunday). At this point, you can't see a color difference as long as you can't see any specular reflections. Look at the shine and it's obvious where I've yet to apply the clear coat. I like the color match I'm seeing, and expect the rather large touch-up will be nearly invisible when I'm done.

A good result from paintscratch.com.

Frank

Sounds great Frank!! We have had a lot of rain but I did manage to get my repairs done. I am very happy with the color match of WP! I am not happy with my use of their product as this was my first ever attempt doing a touch up and I didn't put the layers on thin enough. =(

Maybe one day I will remove this attempt and try again but for now it is covered. Unless you are feeling or looking at light reflecting off the area you can not tell where the patch is. I will edit this post later once I get my pictures uploaded.

***Edit***

Well here are the pictures. The camera still shows a slight color difference but the color is matched to where the naked eye can't tell. As I said earlier, the light reflection since the patch is not at the same level or smoothed out causes the camera to see the patch easily.

Pre-repair photo

2013-10-26_11-34-23_HDR_zps4fe09da1.jpg

Base coat applied

2013-10-26_11-39-54_HDR_zps9ae79bb8.jpg

First layer of pearl mid-coat

2013-10-27_11-40-59_HDR_zps6b4e4ea4.jpg

Second layer of pearl mid-coat

2013-10-28_16-05-30_HDR_zpsb60f5e7b.jpg

Another view of the repair

2013-10-28_16-05-56_HDR_zps11c37452.jpg

Edited by ChuckJr