Getting at the 12V battery

JohnTrigger

I am just curious at this point, but how do you actually put "hands on" the 12V battery if you had to remove it.  I know it is in the back end of the vehicle, and from underneath the car, I can see a black rectangular box that it probably sits in.  I know about the reprogramming that is required if it is disconncected.  I know about the jumper ports under the hood, so I am not asking about that either.  I know the manual says that a Ford technician has to remove it (yeah, right!). 

What I am asking is do you get to the 12V battery from underneath the car, or from the cargo area?  If the cargo area, what interior trim do you have to "tear up" to get to it? Anyone done it yet?

Thanks, just tried your suggestion.  That answered most of the question; I hadn't tried lifting up the rubber mat (duh!), because I had put a few things in that compartment already.  The method you describe certainly allows access to the terminals of the battery, but it only exposes about 1/3 of the battery, the other 2/3 remains covered by the cargo floor.  I suspect you have to remove some more trim/bolts/etc if you want to physically remove the battery out of the vehicle.

I find it "interesting" that the battery installed in mine is not even close to the one specified in our owner's manual, different (lower) CCA and different model number.  Nice...

• 1 month later...

Does the CCA (cold cranking amp rating) make a difference in this case? My understanding is that the ICE is "started" by the big battery. The 12v battery is there for accessories (esp when the engine is off), and to close the relays that connect the big battery to the electric motor. It doesn't get the hard use that a conventional car gives it when starting in cold weather, so it doesn't need to be very big.

Edited by Mistergizmo

Yeah, I don't think CCA matters.

I think deep cycle would be more important, since the little battery never actually has to turn a starter but it does have to power electronics and last while sitting/stored.

If people are really looking to save weight - they can do like motorcycles can and install one of the teeny 12v lithium ion batteries. They are like 1/4 the weight of a motorcycle 12v battery but work the same. :)

I have not used one personally because they are expensive and my motorcycle is 900lbs dry and 2300cc anyway so it's just not worth it for me. But I know guys with crotch-rockets who use them.

HhMmm someone was questioning me about why I want to remove the Sirius module.

Now I can save another 5 maybe 10 lbs by changing the battery.

PLUS would probably never have to change the 12V battery again.

BUT if I was REALLY serious about weight I would have bought a base SE, several lbs lighter than our SEL.

Plus 3 Golfer posted a link that shows how to access the high voltage battery, which should help removing the 12v.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/index.php?/topic/1378-lithium-battery-vents/#entry11257

post #3.

wab

Hey now, I said I don't bother but I know people who do.

;)

But yeah - gadgets weigh. I remember on my can the power rear seat took 150lbs off my tongue capacity because it weighed 150lbs more than the manual rear seat with the gearing and motors and wiring....

I could stop eating junk food and cut some weight from the car. ;)

Hey now, I said I don't bother but I know people who do.

;)

But yeah - gadgets weigh. I remember on my can the power rear seat took 150lbs off my tongue capacity because it weighed 150lbs more than the manual rear seat with the gearing and motors and wiring....

I could stop eating junk food and cut some weight from the car. ;)

That's always the best answer, "One less Big Mac a week."

I hear they may make Danica wear lead weights.

Does anybody know if the 12 volt battery is available outside of Ford?  I've never seen a 12 volt that has terminals like that so I'm thinking Ford will be the only place to get one.  On my past vehicles I've always replaced the factory battery with an Optima Red Top spiral technology battery.  They are pricy but warrantied for 10 years and easy to find at most auto parts stores.  Also they can sit unused for a year and crank right over first time.  Just wondering if anyone has any info regarding replacement options.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know if the 12 volt battery is available outside of Ford?  I've never seen a 12 volt that has terminals like that so I'm thinking Ford will be the only place to get one.  On my past vehicles I've always replaced the factory battery with an Optima Red Top spiral technology battery.  They are pricy but warrantied for 10 years and easy to find at most auto parts stores.  Also they can sit unused for a year and crank right over first time.  Just wondering if anyone has any info regarding replacement options.

Optima Yellow Tops are popular with the Prius crowd so you might be in luck.

Does anybody know if the 12 volt battery is available outside of Ford?

The OEM battery is a Motorcraft BXT-67R.  CCA-390  RC-65.  The last 3 (67R) is the BCI Group Number.

Search for a BCI Group 96R battery.  This battery is listed on page 350 in the owners manual.   An example is the Motorcraft Part Number: BXL-96R,  or NAPA 8496R.  For this battery the CCA is 590 and the RC is 95.  The 96R has 50% more capacity than OEM.

http://pages.suddenl...ages/cmax04.jpg

http://pages.suddenl...ages/cmax05.jpg

http://pages.suddenl...ages/cmax06.jpg

Edited by Sparky