I didn't know I had automatic wipers!

At first I thought my wipers were broken.  I kept trying to put them on intermittent.  They were sporadically working.  Once I couldn't even get them to work at all.  Thank goodness I have had, in the past, a vehicle with automatic wipers.  One day something jogged my memory about the automatic wipers I'd had before, and I started playing with my "intermittent" knob during rain.  I realized I have automatic wipers!  I whipped out my well-worn owners manual and started reading (of course, not while driving).  It didn't tell me much more other than, if equipped , to just turn them on.  So I then whipped out my window sticker and read it from top to bottom.  No mention of automatic wipers at all! 

So how about that??!!  I have something I didn't know I had.  Do you?

Sharon

Yeah, pretty cool, huh? I didn't know either, but I was driving one day and it started to sprinkle. Before I could touch the wipers, they came on! Then I started messing with them and turned the automatic feature off. Had to pull out the manual to find out how to turn them on again. They were only overwhelmed one time.....we had a January thaw and lots of standing water in the road. A car came toward me, hit a puddle right beside me, and it was like an instant CARWASH! Took a second for the wipers to get up to speed, but in that second, I could see nothing :>D

Edited by Adair

One day I was driving along on a sunny day and the wipers just started.  Noticed that the car in front of me was using his window washer spray that over sprayed on to my windshield just a little and immediately started my wipers.   Pretty cool got my windshield cleaned without using my window washer fluid.    The auto wipers also work in the car wash if the car is still running.   

I didn't know either until a couple of weeks ago.  The manual shows that the Automatic wiper option will have an A on the wand for the wipers.  Mine doesn't have the A, so I figured they weren't automatic.  I pulled into a carwash and the wipers started.  I didn't know that I had left them on Intermittent, but at that moment I figured out they were automatic :)  This past weekend I used them quite a bit and I am glad that they were on there. 

Now if I can just find out how to enable to Adaptive Cruise Control :rant2:  Hopefully that will be on the 2015 model when I trade this one in.

• 1 month later...

This is my first car with automatic wipers.  At first, I thought, who needs it?  But I finally drove some distance in which there was intermittant rain.  They worked so great, that I didn't really notice them working as I drove down the highway.  As rain collected on the windshield, whoosh, the windshield was wiped clean.

They work good in snow too.  The only problem I have had is that the right wiper is a little short for clearing the entire sensor area.  If the sensor area gets dirty or has enough snow buildup, even the lowest setting can be too often until you clean the glass.  Every once and a while light can glance off the area at an angle that will activate them for a wipe too, but they are great when the slowest intermittent setting is still too fast, and they just need to activate once and a while such as while stopped with snow coming down.  Of course that strange white stuff drifting down is foreign to some of the people here or an apoplectic event.  

I've been having an awful time getting used the intermittent wiper knob. Turns out they're not working at all. Anyone else experiencing this? Could there be a relationship between setting intermittent stages and auto wipers?

AFAIK if you have auto-wipers, you have no intermittent wipers.  The knob/wheel is instead used to set the sensitivity of the auto-wipers.

Are the automatic wipers a standard feature on the SEL?  ford.com indicates they are in the list of exterior features.

I don't have the "A" on my wiper control.   We had a rainy day on Saturday.  Before lunch, I had my headlights in autolamps position and I noticed that the green parking lamp/headlamp indicator was not lit when I had the wipers on [both in (a) the lower speed constant on position and (b) the position between off and the lower speed constant on position (i.e., the position that is either intermittent wipers or automatic wipers)].  This was disconcerting because NC state law requires headlights on when wipers are in use.

So, I'm not sure if I have automatic wipers and I don't think I have autolamps.   I will test more carefully next time it rains.

Edited by DaveofDurham

I have an Energi (all Energis are SEL). It doesn't have the "A" as shown in the manual, but it does have automatic wipers, so the manual must be in error.

You can see the sensor from the front of the car. It's a largish extension below the rear view mirror and has small optical sensors on it.

I thought they would, but I haven't noticed the headlights come on when automatic wiping, even when continuous. Pretty sure the manual says they should though.

Edited by mipmapped

To reiterate, the auto/intermittant-wipers, when turned on, will wipe when the sensor "feels" dampness/rain.  They are not like the "normal" intermittant wipers that most of us are used to.

Regarding the lights coming on automatically when the wipers come on: when in Irvine, I found out that they do NOT come on with the intermittant/auto wipers, but do come on (if set to do so) when the wipers are set to slow or high.  It may take a few moments for them to come on after the wipers start.

To reiterate, the auto/intermittant-wipers, when turned on, will wipe when the sensor "feels" dampness/rain. They are not like the "normal" intermittant wipers that most of us are used to.

Regarding the lights coming on automatically when the wipers come on: when in Irvine, I found out that they do NOT come on with the intermittant/auto wipers, but do come on (if set to do so) when the wipers are set to slow or high. It may take a few moments for them to come on after the wipers start.[/

Edited by erwhitham

To reiterate, the auto/intermittant-wipers, when turned on, will wipe when the sensor "feels" dampness/rain.  They are not like the "normal" intermittant wipers that most of us are used to.

Regarding the lights coming on automatically when the wipers come on: when in Irvine, I found out that they do NOT come on with the intermittant/auto wipers, but do come on (if set to do so) when the wipers are set to slow or high.  It may take a few moments for them to come on after the wipers start.

Assistance again, please specify. Do you mean the wiper is pushed up to the fastest speed or the knob is adjusted to a certain mark? Couldn't get anywhere yesterday in light snowfall with auto wipers.

Assistance again, please specify. Do you mean the wiper is pushed up to the fastest speed or the knob is adjusted to a certain mark? Couldn't get anywhere yesterday in light snowfall with auto wipers.

When they are set to "on" in either the slower or faster position, my moving the entire wiper stalk up (not just turning the knob which sets the sensitivity for auto-wipers or timeout for intermittent wipers depending on if you have a sel or se respectively).

If you push the stalk up one notch, to the intermittant (auto/rain sensitive) wipe, the lights won't come on (even if set to do so).  It's only when you push the stalk up two notches to normal wipe, or 3 notches to high-speed wipe, that the lights will come on.

One thing I'm not sure of, and haven't tested, is if the rear lights come on as well when it rains (I keep my lights on "Auto", so the headlights are on all the time when driving).

Edited by roninsd