Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Automatic Noise Cancellation Problem

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

... I still think it's cool that they include it, but I can't help but think it was just an engineering requirement because they couldn't mechanically suppress it to acceptable NVH standards.  Some sports cars play artificial engine noises over the speakers because their cabins are so quiet.  The C-Max, with its tiny engine, does its best to eliminate the engine noise from the cabin.  Different strokes for different car buyers, it would seem.  Personally, I wouldn't mind an option to pipe in some sweet V8 burbles that are synced to the throttle. You know, for irony.  But that's just me.

They could have mechanically supressed the engine noises - many manufacturers do. They chose to let the engine produce the noises, and cancel them instead. That way they could keep the engine both powerful and lighter, because it is less complex and has fewer parts.

Edited by stevedebi, 17 January 2015 - 12:02 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 268 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energialso

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

FWIW:   From my experience yesterday:

1.  At highway speed with a rear window opened a few inches, there is very definitely (as others have posted) a loud, horrible, low-frequency, pulsing sound.

2. The sound is just as loud and horrible with the audio system off as with it on.

#63 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

FWIW:   From my experience yesterday:

1.  At highway speed with a rear window opened a few inches, there is very definitely (as others have posted) a loud, horrible, low-frequency, pulsing sound.

2. The sound is just as loud and horrible with the audio system off as with it on.

That is normal and happens with all cars. If you crack open a front window and then the rear, it won't make the sound. You just cannot open only the rear windows in a hatchback, due to the air flow back there.

• JAZ likes this

#64 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

That is normal and happens with all cars. If you crack open a front window and then the rear, it won't make the sound. You just cannot open only the rear windows in a hatchback, due to the air flow back there.

To clarify:

I am familiar with the ordinary problem and the usual solutions.

The noise to which I refer is ten times worse, and it seems to come from the speakers, and it seems plausible that it is from the noise cancellation system - as other have posted.

The point of my post was to confirm that I had experienced the thing that others had posted about and to relay my observation that it did not quit when the sound system was turned off.

#65 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

To clarify:

I am familiar with the ordinary problem and the usual solutions.

The noise to which I refer is ten times worse, and it seems to come from the speakers, and it seems plausible that it is from the noise cancellation system - as other have posted.

The point of my post was to confirm that I had experienced the thing that others had posted about and to relay my observation that it did not quit when the sound system was turned off.

Ah, sorry. I thought you may not have known. I suspect the noise supression wasn't programmed for that. Room for improvement.

• Smiling Jack likes this

#66 OFFLINE   DaveofDurham

DaveofDurham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 574 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationDurham NC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAx SEL

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:00 AM

Apparently some vehicles, including some Ford's,  have noise making as part of their noise cancellation system.

America’s best-selling cars and trucks are built on lies: The rise of fake engine noise

http://wapo.st/1yrDUbO

• Smiling Jack likes this

#67 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

Apparently some vehicles, including some Ford's,  have noise making as part of their noise cancellation system.

America’s best-selling cars and trucks are built on lies: The rise of fake engine noise

Many thanks to Dave for posting this.

What an education !  Everyone should read the link.

I would favor a swith so that the driver could turn such stuff on or off according to preference and situation  (as we do now have with most traction control systems).

#68 OFFLINE   jdbob

jdbob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 266 posts
  • LocationJohn Day, Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:06 PM

In our cars the idea is to reduce the engine noise in the cabin, I'm OK with that.

#69 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,431 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:03 PM

They could have mechanically supressed the engine noises - many manufacturers do. They chose to let the engine produce the noises, and cancel them instead. That way they could keep the engine both powerful and lighter, because it is less complex and has fewer parts.

I'd wager the car has lots of mechanical noise suppression...

Remember that quiet interiors have been a selling point of luxury cars for decades. Seems highly rational to use a belt-and-suspenders approach once new technologies, like electronic noise supression become available. In fact, in noise suppression that's the only way to do it.

As to the noise produced with one window open, blame aerodynamics for giving the rear windows smooth air flow. You're just blowing a large whistle, with you inside.

Have fun,

Frank

#70 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:31 PM

I'd wager the car has lots of mechanical noise suppression...

Remember that quiet interiors have been a selling point of luxury cars for decades. Seems highly rational to use a belt-and-suspenders approach once new technologies, like electronic noise supression become available. In fact, in noise suppression that's the only way to do it.

As to the noise produced with one window open, blame aerodynamics for giving the rear windows smooth air flow. You're just blowing a large whistle, with you inside.

Have fun,

Frank

I recall that the ANS system description mentioned that they reduced engine weight by allowing it to be louder. Not that I can recall the URL, of course...

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·