CMAX Grill Cover Testing, 2-5 MPG Gain

ptjones

With temps in the 90's*F MPG's keep going up, 57.3mpg last tank on Fuelly and this one I'm up over 60mpg with speeds 35-55 mostly and little A/C. I do have both middle and lower Grill Covers on all the time and rarely get to ICE operating temps.  :)

Paul

It's in the 90s and you're hardly running the AC??

It's in the 90s and you're hardly running the AC??

And with the windows down some, not to bad with a good breeze.  :)  The wife doesn't appreciate it to much so we take her car when it's bad.  It makes a big difference on mpg's for short distances.

Paul 

And with the windows down some, not to bad with a good breeze.  :)  The wife doesn't appreciate it to much so we take her car when it's bad.  It makes a big difference on mpg's for short distances.

Paul 

I find that AC barely affects my mpg. It helps that it runs off the battery with an electric motor, probably much more efficient than belt driven

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I got FORD to Cross rotate my tires, didn't feel like doing myself in the heat. I removed wheel covers and rear side wheel well covers so they could take wheels off.  This morning I went to a do it yourself car wash and then off to work. I had preheated the ICE like I normally do, but my mpg's were down 2 mpg anyways. :headscratch:  I hadn't put the wheel covers back on and as it turns out FORD lowered my tire pressure to 42psi from 50psi. This does imply that the wheel covers are worth 2 mpg and I will see when I go home tonight now that I put them back on. :)

Paul

Wheel well cover

Well after two days of testing it does look like wheel covers are worth around 2 mpg, but it does point out the importance of SOC and how you use it. 

Here are few things that affect FE:

1. For ten miles or less the SOC can have a significant impact.

2. Sitting at a traffic signal or McD's drive thru for more than 30 sec starts to use up the HVB. 

a) When waiting for above the SOC of the HVB goes down slower in Park than in Drive. :drop:

b) If you need to stop more than 30 sec. it is better to turn off the car. :doh:

3. Remember outside temp has  an effect of 2mpg for every 10*F change, + MPG goes up,- MPG goes down. :shift:

4. Remember if you use Neutral to coast stepping on the breaks doesn't activate regenerative breaking so you need to put it back to Drive before stepping on the brakes to charge the HVB.

My first day with everything back on the results were disappointing which I tribute to SOC problems caused by #2a&b and #4.  Yesterday  I had my act together and I got low 60's.  Today going to work I got 56 mpg, normally get 50 mpg, the noticeable difference my SOC when up over night from 44% to 50% so I was able to EV a half a mile before the ICE started on 7 mile trip.  Going to Subway for lunch the HVB had done some maintenance from this morning , SOC went from 37% to 30%, Ouch!  So the ICE started immediately until I stopped for a signal a block away and SOC moved upto 42% and probably 5 mpg. Turned off car while waiting for the light to change about 4 min.later. Another 3/4's of a mile to Subway and got 56 mpg. and 35 mpg. coming back, not good except my SOC went from 30% to 54%. I'm guessing I might get 70 mpg going home. My lunch trip took my tank average from 56.8 to 56.2 mpg, hoping my trip home will get me back over 57 mpg. :)

Paul 

Edited by ptjones

Well I drove home last night and was surprised to get 80 mpg and my average went up to 56.9 mpg. :)  This morning going to work I started out with usual ICE preheat of an hour and a half , WT140*F with 42% SOC and ended up with 47.5% SOC, 51.4 mpg and my average dropped to 56.6 mpg. :sad:  This I consider about average going to work and shows with 42% SOC I get 51.4 mpg and with 50% SOC I got 56 mpg for same  7 mi.trip. The long term will give a better idea on whether FE is improving or not. :)

Paul

...got low 60's. ...got 56 ... get 50 mpg, ...got 56 mpg. and 35 mpg. ...get 70 mpg... from 56.8 to 56.2 mpg... over 57 mpg. 

... get 80 mpg ... up to 56.9 mpg.... 51.4 mpg ... 56.6 mpg. ... get 51.4 mpg ... got 56 mpg ...

Here's something to consider. 

With some assumptions, usable SOC is about the same energy as 0.01 gal. of gasoline, or 1.28oz. 

(assumes 129MJ/gal., 3.6MJ/kWh, 1.4kWh total HVB capacity, with a 25% average access capacity (40% accessible capacity @ 5/8 use))

At high mileages, mileage is very sensitive to small changes in fuel consumption. 

- at 50 MPG (2 gal./100 miles), a 10 mile trip uses 0.2 gal., so the battery is a 1 in 20 effect - 5%

- at 66.6 MPG (1.5 gal./100 miles), it's a 6.7% effect

- at 80 MPG (1.25 gal./100 miles), it's a 8% effect

... it's always 1/10 of the mileage at 10 miles. 

- at 5 miles, the effect is doubled

- at 20 miles, the effect is halved

Now, how does your mileage data look?

Have fun,

Frank

Here's something to consider. 

With some assumptions, usable SOC is about the same energy as 0.01 gal. of gasoline, or 1.28oz. 

(assumes 129MJ/gal., 3.6MJ/kWh, 1.4kWh total HVB capacity, with a 25% average access capacity (40% accessible capacity @ 5/8 use))

At high mileages, mileage is very sensitive to small changes in fuel consumption. 

- at 50 MPG (2 gal./100 miles), a 10 mile trip uses 0.2 gal., so the battery is a 1 in 20 effect - 5%

- at 66.6 MPG (1.5 gal./100 miles), it's a 6.7% effect

- at 80 MPG (1.25 gal./100 miles), it's a 8% effect

... it's always 1/10 of the mileage at 10 miles. 

- at 5 miles, the effect is doubled

- at 20 miles, the effect is halved

Now, how does your mileage data look?

Have fun,

Frank

That's getting a little complicated for me.  Here is what I do know, Smart Gauge reads .1 gal. for 7 miles which means it's not very accurate for short distances. The useful HVB capacity at most is around 30% at full.  This means looking at Smart Gauge HVB going from the top to bottom = 30% of total capacity of HVB.  So with ScanGaugeII it works out to 32% to 62% SOC and I typically only use between 38-48% SOC. I believe the HVB charges the quickest in that range so the ICE runs the shortest amount of time there. The less time the ICE is running the better your MPG's. :)  

My current tank :  221.1 mi., EV 148.1 mi.(67%), 56.8 mpg and 3.89 gal.

Trip to work with no preheat, no neutral coasting and 53% SOC: 7 mi., EV 4.7 mi.,.6 regen., 57.6 mpg, .1 gal and BKS of 100%. :) Not sure what else you are looking for.

BTW I'm having Fun, you too? :)

Paul

... Here are few things that affect FE:

1. For ten miles or less the SOC can have a significant impact....

That's getting a little complicated for me. ...

I was just putting some numbers to the SOC effect you suggested, for comparison with your observations. I quoted the data so my ranges would make sense. 

The numbers work out so that 1/distance is the fractional error - 10 miles = 10%, 100 miles = 1% - due to starting/ending SOC variation. That makes this a 1-sided tolerance; it's +/- 10%. 

And no, not having as much fun without a daily commute to give me data. Too much short trip with AC. Hope you both enjoyed Maine, and the trip home!

HAve fun,

Frank

Interesting observation this morning, I got 58.7mpg going to work.  My garage was 84*F and I had left the ICE Block and Oil Pan Heaters on for 3.5 Hrs, WT was 163*F, I normally leave it on for 1.5hrs with WT of 130*F.  SOC was 46% with OT of 81*F, I had to get the ICE going right a way because of traffic, so I wasn't able to do a real good job of Hypermiling.  My WT was upto 202*F by the time I got the 7 miles to work, usually I'm around 180*F.  I think this points out the importance of getting WT up to 202*F to improve ICE efficiency. My EV was 4.5mi., Regen .5mi. and BKS 99% and SOC 32%.  It looks like what CMAXer's have been saying about heating up the ICE as quickly as possible is the best FE thing to do, leave the EV to later.  I will try to emphasize this strategy in my future trips to see if there is something to this. :)    

Block heaters in summer... in the South, no less. No one saw this coming. 

Block heaters in summer... in the South, no less. No one saw this coming. 

I have been doing it for a couple of years.  Remember in a Prefect CMAX Hybrid World when you first start out in the morning the ICE WT would be 202*F for Max ICE Efficiency, the less time and gas to get to that temp the better trip FE. :)

Up Date:  Last couple of days I've been trying to heat up the ICE sooner with not very good results. :drop:  My take away from this experiment is that unless you are going 15 miles or more don't use the ICE anymore than you have too.  It wastes to much gas heating up the ICE  and you don't have the time to make it up in efficiency.  I knew there was a reason why I drive like I do. :)  Driving on the FWY it would be good to heat up ICE as quickly as possible if you were going 10+ miles, I think you could make up the difference.  

Paul

Half way through this tank now with my average up to 57.9 mpg up from 56.6 mpg.  It would appear all I can get going back and forth between work and home is 56.6 mpg.  Just a reminder that even with temps in the low 90's I still have center and bottom Grill Covers on.  This weekend I had a few additional trips around town that pushed my average up to 57.9 mpg. I'm going to try to remember to plugin Block and Oil Pan Heaters an hour or two before I go home to see if it helps. :)

Paul

I have started our lighthouse trip and are in Savannah , 300 miles so far 67.7mpg

Hope to do better tomorrow .

Paul

Awesome!  Do we see a world record tank in the making?

If you get that far north, don't miss Bodie Island Lighthouse south of Nags Head, NC.  Recently restored, its quite a treat.  Or even further up is Currituck Beach Light at Corolla, NC.  A "twin sister" light to Bodie Island, it is unpainted and my favorite lighthouse.  Then if you head inland, there's an original "screw-pile" lighthouse in Edenton, NC, restored and furnished (though not at its original site).

Have great trip, "keep the lights burning", and keep the MPGs climbing!

Started in Newnan, GA and  made it to Georgetown, SC and then came back, got back last night. I made it to Monticello, GA before filling up 915.4 miles/ 13.7 gal and 66.1 mpg. I figure I still had .3-.4 gallons(18-24 miles before I would have run out.). GPS actual mileage 931.8 mi./13.7 gal.= 68 mpg. :)  I was hoping to do better, but I can't seem to get 70 mpg going 65 - 50MPH, at 50 -35 mph P&G I saw over 80 mpg a few times on segments of the trip. :shift:  My wife isn't interested in doing any more trips like that, she said I can go by myself. LOL :sad:  And it's been almost two years since the last one.

92616NRec

Paul

Edited by ptjones

• 10 months later...

Just a reminder if you don't have your Center Grill Cover taped on or some other secure way of holding it on and you park facing the sun the adhesive on the VELCRO will let go after an hour or two with outside temps 90*F+.  I forgot that I took the tape off the other day and at the movies it fell off.  So I put a couple of pieces of clear packing on ends of cover so I don't have to worry about it.  :)

Paul

• 1 year later...