Part 2 Let is Snow...CMax at Mammoth, California

Jus-A-CMax

8389125980_f0e5fe65e4.jpg

We made our second trip to Mammoth mountain, California. It's our favourite ski/snowboard mountain and it has TONS of snow right now, with really,really, really great coverage and quality snow. 

Alright, lets get down to it.

MPGs - Home to Mammoth
8389126428_ca202c58fc.jpg

Lets talk conditions: Started in San Fernando and it was a cool 41F. Arrived at Mammoth and it was 1F to -4F. 15 to 20mph head wind all the way there and definitely blowing hardest from Palmdale to Lone Pine. Off the 395 to Mammoth, the "chains was required" sign was on...but it was only about 1/2" of snow covered road so I persisted without chains. Max handled beautifully in the snow, no loss of traction loss and no slippage or skidding. 

Compare this to Trip 1 getting there stats: 286 miles (69.7EV) that used 8.66 gallons with 33.5MPG. Temps ranged from 50F to typically 20-27F from Mojave to Mammoth Lakes.

Its about the same MPG wise, little less EV on this trip but I think thats due to the much cooler conditions especially coming down from Toms Place and all the way to Mammoth town. I swear the EV was non-existent in the sub zero temps so it was mainly much more gas. I was expecting better MPGs but felt the MPG never got any better than 36-37 at its peak but thats the physics of climbing from 500ft to 7800ft over 290 miles.

MPGs - Mammoth to Home
8389124264_f50bfce81f.jpg

Compare this to Trip1stats: 287.1 miles (80.6EV) that used 7.02 gallons with 40.8MPG.

Max did really well, 44.6MPG on Trip 2 versus 40.8MPG. However, Trip2 had less EV, by 5 miles, than Trip 1. I suspect I was going faster on this trip back than I did Trip1 so ICE would have been on. Some tail wind from Mammoth to Independence and after that, it was more a side wind the rest of the trip. Again, 15 to 20 mph wind, I estimate.

Now, the temp when I left Mammoth was around 21F. No EV, ICE was on all the way until 6 miles onto the 395. I am sure I lost alot of mileage there while the engine heated up but at least I had a full battery by then.

Overall I had a total average of 39MPG for Trip 2, which is a big improvement over Trip 1 36MPG.

More pictures

Just a light dusting...but it was COLD! Don't let the sunshine fool you. -10F on the mountain....brrrrh.
8388038097_e52830140b.jpg

Empty...
8388037385_8874cce640.jpg

Full....
8388036857_81b99dba0d.jpg

Using all the space...
8388037111_68c6bfcefd.jpg

Coming down from Tom's Place to Bishop. Thats Owens Valley in the background. My favourite part of the drive...super, super long descent. Guaranteed to fully charge the batteries but don't speed...at least 2 CHP are waiting mid way. Guaranteed.
8388036219_f0cda4b32b.jpg
8388036545_0d17139279.jpg

A different angle.

8388090869_83b038c317.jpg

Some other random thoughts from this drive:

1. I felt the MPGs were much better due to the engine opening up. However, as proven, the cold conditions is an EV killer and it was really, really cold this trip. 

2. Tires were pumped to 42PSI. Rolled well and may have contributed to the better MPG on the way back. Seems to roll much better. Road noise negligible. 

3. Did some drafting. I think ptjones is right, saved some MPGs and I didn't get too close either.

4. On parts of the trip, I set the eco-cruise to 68mph and I noticed the instant MPG running around 40MPG to 43MPG with some boost from the EV. Now, heres the kicker, this was when the batteries were at least 80% charged and up. Lower battery level, the instant MPG was down to mid 20s. We need to investigate this further as this means that going at speed with no EV is efficient. This was on level road as I noted.

Enjoy!
:)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Nice post, and the scenery is beautiful.  Not a bad looking C-max either.

Over-inflating the tires seems counterintuitive for driving on snow, were there any noticeable traction issues with that setup?  Stock tires right?

Stock Michellins, comes with every CMax. I agree, over inflating does sound counter intuitive but the real test was the night I drove in....freaking freezing as well and the 203 (road from 395 to Mammoth Lakes) was covered with a nice layer of snow and ice, and I pushed on. It drove pretty good, sped away nicely, more than a few times I changed lanes to allow faster vehicles to pass me. However, when I drive these road covered snows I am very conservative, I try and find the lanes where the other vehicles have driven (ala the strips), no sudden jerking of the cars and I tap my brakes. There is a little gradient to climb up to the place where we stayed and it did fine - this is the gnarly one coming down as when it is iced and snowed in, the cars will slip but this time Max did fine climbing up this little gradient.

So good question, I did not perceive any disadvantage of having higher PSI tires in the snow driving up the 203. I did not put the chains on this trip (thank goodness as it would have been an exercise in the sub zero temps getting my hands in there) and once you have the chains on, it doesn't matter what PSI your tires are, they work the same.

Lovely photos.  I am jealous.  Hubby and I need to do a road trip and go see Mammoth.

Please do!!!! It's beautiful...I was thinking of putting up some Mammoth mountain photos as well.

Also, let me know, I can drop you some major hints and tips as I know the town pretty well. Also, as you are my fave poster, PM me as I can also get you some discount lift tixs since I have an MVP pass.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

What? No shots in front of Schat's? ;)

Dude...you want Schats....here it is...

8391939890_fd0929d7fb_b.jpg

...but sorry, no Max infront of Schats. Max was getting buried on that night (see the 1st thread) and I already dug him out in the morning before this dump. It was snowing pretty heavily and this was Christmas Day.

I swear, Mammoth is so gorgeous when it is snowing and I love the walk to town when its dumping. Wifey luvs it too....

As much as I luv Schats@Mammoth, the original one in Bishop does the BEST KILLER hot Pastrami sandwich with the Sheep Herders bread. Folks...this is one sandwich to die for. Guaranteed. 

F8I - l like you dude, you know Mammoth  :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Nice!

I love that place!

I tend to go there more often than the one in Mammoth because I tend to stay in the Bishop area more.I go when it is a little warmer though. ;)

We did a 3 day hike into Thousand Island Lake with barely enough food for 1 day. By the time we got out we were stumbling, weary and daydreaming about food. We immediately drove out of the Silver Lake area and headed straight for Mammoth! Schat's, Ben & Jerry's, an early showing of Tropic Thunder and the Mammoth Lakes Campground was like an answer to all of our prayers.... :)

Old picture but you know the place. ;)

Me%20on%20Mammoth.jpg

And our bear friend at the campground

Bear%20at%20mammoth.jpg

F8I - dude, thats dangerous...taking 1 day supply on a 3 day hike, count your lucky stars nothing happened, you can't take chances in the wilderness, it will kill yer. Anyway, glad you made it out safe and with a lesson learnt I hope. I don't hike but I do occasionally do an afternoon one, mainly up to Lake Mary. Also, eventhough I board 99.99%, I really luv to cross country ski around Tamarac Lodge, its so, so pretty - thats something about cross country that I really appreciate.

Nice photos though, finally see your mug face shot...or are you that bear looking person  :runaway:

I'll post up some Mammoth snow pics later today.

Jus-A-CMax thank you so much for your kind words and offers about Mammoth. Right now I'm fantasizing about a beach in Hawaii.  But we are more likely to go to Mammoth than Hawaii.  Mammoth is about 1000 kms from my place. I can drive long distances and not get tired out, but hubby likes to go only 5 or 6 hours a day.  Last summer I farm sat  horses for a friend in Okotoks, Alberta which is 1000 kms from my home.  Hubby had to fly home (and he was glad of it).  So my dog Tinker and I drove it in one go--6AM to about 7PM.  Tinker started sneering at me by the time we reached the British Columbia border LOL.  So going to Mammoth we would have to break it up with an overnight stop on route.

Some Mammoth Mountain Photos...enjoy!

This is looking at Chair 23 in the background. Chair 23 takes you to the peak which is around 11,000 ft so don't go there in your shorts and t-shirt.

8397668608_62e1fcf774_b.jpg

Top left corner is the top of Chair 14. Same mountain range as Photo 1. That run you see there going down the mountain is Scotty's run.
8397668418_4467d5445e_b.jpg

This is overlooking the backside from the top of the gondola. That run the snowboarder is going down leads down to Chair 14. Beautiful, beautiful from the top...somewhere out there is Yosemite.
8397668768_66aa0677a1_b.jpg

For Laurel....something to really mess with her head....Hawaii photos.... :drool:

PS Yes, its off topic on this thread but this is my thread so the OP can do anything.... :rockon:

Moon rise on the Big Island...

8396640015_6f31cf9f48_b.jpg

Sunset on the Big Island....
8397726694_5bcd21e20b_b.jpg

Kauai - the wettest island on the Hawaii chain but the most gorgeous, just enjoy the warm rain and oceans. Photo taken from Kalakau Trail, a super nice hike but very wet, bring your water shoes and your water proof camera for the most gorgeous cliff views....
8396640347_ece852078f_b.jpg

Nice beaches with warm water and NO bugs (No no-see-ums, unlike Florida)
8396640211_4c6eb56a4a_b.jpg

And rainbows galore...
8397726632_37d18ce42e_b.jpg