SYNC vs Bluetooth earbud vs Droid 4

OK, so here's what part of the problem is...........I have a Motorola Droid 4 and a Jawbone Icon Bluetooth earbud. Because of family health issues, I wear the earbud whenever I'm not near a landline phone......

If the earbud is on when I get in the car, the SYNC will not recognize the phone. I get that it can't handle the competition for control :>)

If I turn the earbud off first, then start the car, phone and car SYNC.

If I am on a call when I get out of the car, I can turn the earbud on, and after a few scratchy seconds, the call switches to the earbud.

If I am NOT on a call and switch the earbud on when I exit the car, the earbud won't work and I have to repair it with the phone

If I leave the earbud on when I get in the car, and don't SYNC, I can make calls w/the earbud but other SYNC functions that require phone won't work. AND when I exit the car, the phone/earbud may or may not work........it's a crapshoot.

If the earbud is on when I get in the car and I start the car w/o turning the earbud off, I may or may not be able to turn the earbud off and SYNC the phone with the car.....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If I am nowhere near the car, just me, the earbud and the phone, I can make and receive calls til the cows come home with no problem. I've had the phone since September and the earbud with a diff. Droid, since last year.

If you read this far, and your eyeballs aren't bugging out on stems, and you have any suggestions for making these 3 toys play nice together, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Adair

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Ok, so I really *REALLY* don't like not being able to figure things like this out, :headscratch:  so after much trial and error I now have a system that *seems* to work. Since I'm reasonably sure that I'm not the only SYNC/MFT owner who wears a Blue Tooth headset all the time, I thought I'd post what seems to be working for now. :stirpot:

First of all, I got a brand new Jawbone Era.

If I am on a call when I enter the car, I turn off the bluetooth on the headset before starting the car........the call switches to the phone. I start the car, SYNC pairs with the phone and the call is then coming thru the car.  :happy feet:

If I am still on the call when I arrive at wherever, I turn on the bluetooth and turn off the car. Call switches to the phone until I am out of range of the car, then the call switches to the headset. :yahoo:

If I am not on a call when I enter the car, I turn off the headset until I start the car and the car SYNCs with the phone. At that point, I can turn the headset back on, without interfering with anything. The car is in control. If I don't make any calls while I'm driving, when I exit the car, control goes back to the bluetooth. :rockon:

I tried this 4 times today with my husband and it worked smoothly. I didn't have to touch the phone or repair the earbud. Fingers crossed. ;)