Electric Range Estimates on a full charge vary alot for a full charge.

TomM

Hello -
I purchased a 2015 CMax Energi a few months ago and so far, so good on most fronts.

But one thing I can't seem to understand is the electric range estimates.. I'll charge the car one night to 100%, and I check the electric range estimate and it'll say 22 miles.. I do the same thing the next day and it'll say 15 miles.. then 17 miles, then 20 miles.. Why does it vary so much?
I realize that it does vary if I am checking it with the AC on or off (turning it off makes range goes up which makes sense).

Is it factoring it driving from previous drive (ie more hills or AC cranking on previous ride will mean low estimate this time around and vice-versa)? 

Other factors that I may be missing?

Thanks in advance for any and all insights. 

Yes, the 'guess-o-meter' estimates based off a number of factors including climate usage and previous driving behavior and trips as well as ambient temps. As such, using the displayed EV range is not an accurate battery capacity indicator, but rather the actual kWh consumed which should change very little from one trip to the next.

ok.. thanks again cr08.  That all make sense.

i'll treat those numbers as a rough guide and not as an absolute.

I have been geeking out/having fun trying to see how much I can get my number to go up while driving (from re-gen braking/etc)..  My teenager is also into it (or it may be just her excuse to use the car more ?

Edited by TomM