2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

Update on my situation:

After 2 months since having a 4G modem installed by a dealer in my 2017 C-Max Energi SE....

The FordPass app is.... WORKING!  Well mostly, at least.  I've done nothing with the app or vehicle in the past few days.  Other than logging out and in the FordPass app and reinstalling it.  So here's what's working:

1.) The Vehicle Screen:

a.) Location

b.) Odometer Reading

c.) Estimated Mileage 

d.) Charge Level

e.) Gas Level

2.) Status: Monitoring  Tire Pressure.

3.) Charge Settings

a.) Setup Preferred Charge Times

b.) Departure Times

4.) Map with correct location of the vehicle.

Stuff that's not working:

1.) I am still unable to lock, unlock the vehicle.

2.) Set Charge Level Notification.

I probably missed a thing or two, but that's pretty much it.

So, Ford has been doing their homework.  It just took a little while.  Thank goodness that I don't have to go back to the dealer!

On 3/11/2022 at 5:23 PM, GeR2 said:

Update on my situation:

After 2 months since having a 4G modem installed by a dealer in my 2017 C-Max Energi SE....

The FordPass app is.... WORKING!  Well mostly, at least.  I've done nothing with the app or vehicle in the past few days.  Other than logging out and in the FordPass app and reinstalling it.  So here's what's working:

1.) The Vehicle Screen:

a.) Location

b.) Odometer Reading

c.) Estimated Mileage 

d.) Charge Level

e.) Gas Level

3.) Charge Settings

b.) Departure Times

So, Ford has been doing their homework.  It just took a little while.  Thank goodness that I don't have to go back to the dealer!

On lock/unlock, my Android phone was touchy about me not holding my finger on the button long enough and show an error message. Of course, you might be having a different problem. I assume you can perform lock/unlock with your key fob. I was able to set charge level notification (before I could set preferred charge times, I think) and it works most of the time. I wonder if you might be having a problem with the cellular network. In my neighborhood the cell service isn't that great and so it sometimes matters where the car is parked in the driveway, believe it or not. This was a particular problem with the old 3G modem/network. I have a 2017 C-Max Energi Titanium with Sync 3 v3.0.02024.

On 3/12/2022 at 8:22 AM, oldbeyondmeasure said:

On lock/unlock, my Android phone was touchy about me not holding my finger on the button long enough and show an error message. Of course, you might be having a different problem. I assume you can perform lock/unlock with your key fob. I was able to set charge level notification (before I could set preferred charge times, I think) and it works most of the time. I wonder if you might be having a problem with the cellular network. In my neighborhood the cell service isn't that great and so it sometimes matters where the car is parked in the driveway, believe it or not. This was a particular problem with the old 3G modem/network. I have a 2017 C-Max Energi Titanium with Sync 3 v3.0.02024.

Yes.  You have to press the lock / unlock button for a few seconds for it to initiate the request.  If I remember correctly, the MyFordMobile app wasn't like this.  Nonetheless, it's still not working at the moment.  

I'm pretty sure it's not the cellular network as I get 4 to 5 bars of signal strength.  Also, my car is parked outside in the driveway.  Best guess is that it will start working in a few days.

On 3/11/2022 at 8:23 PM, GeR2 said:

Update on my situation:

1.) The Vehicle Screen:

a.) Location

b.) Odometer Reading

c.) Estimated Mileage 

d.) Charge Level

e.) Gas Level

3.) Charge Settings

b.) Departure Times

@GeR2, alomost exactly what I am seeing.  Any attempts to set charge level notifications in the app are unsuccessful.

As far as locking/unlocking, I had to edit the first line of my TCU as-built in FORSCAN to get them to work.  Specifically, digits 3 & 4 were "82" in my factury as-built and the locking/unlocking wouldn't work.  Changing those digits to "42" did the trick for me.

I'm still waiting on everything to populate on my end. I did do a fresh activation (removed the vehicle from FordPass, Master Reset, put the TCU into factory mode and re-did that whole process) after the successful calibration update this past Thursday just to play it safe. So far all of the tools and functions in the app are showing but non-functional or with blank data. Remote start/lock/unlock functions work beautifully though. I'm still going to be patient with it. Just seems like FordPass is having a rough time lately. Having functional remote start/lock/unlock in the app were my biggest things so them working is fine for now. ?

Screenshot_20220313-152925.thumb.jpg.63d4c385d1e1d483891661f15bd1b39c.jpg

Another thing that crossed my mind in all this especially given this was originally a C-Max 'hybrid' forum is that potentially this DIY process should (in theory) work for those with hybrid models that were never equipped with a TCU. Just a hunch, but should be doable. These are the bullet points I'm thinking that may come up in the process:

• Really only going to be useful if your vehicle is already factory equipped with remote start. Not all hybrid models were if memory serves compared to Energi's. Adding the TCU won't automatically add remote start functionality, it relies on the vehicle already being equipped with it. It goes without saying, but aftermarket remote start systems likely will not apply here unless they specifically enabled the built in factory functionality. Technically it could work without remote start, but you wouldn't get many useful features out of FordPass otherwise.
  • Not sure if the existing TCU harness connection in the rear exists on hybrid models. Big question mark here. Many vehicles across different manufacturers leave these unused connectors to save cost on a single harness type rather than building different harnesses for different features being equipped. Not sure if this applies in this scenario. THAT said, if it does not exist, tapping into an existing CAN bus line somewhere should also be viable. Many over in the F150 forums who have retrofitted TCU's have done this where the factory connector was not there.
  • AsBuilt configurations definitely need to be modified. APIM does have a 'TCU Equipped' setting that will likely need to be toggled. The TCU also has an 'Engine type' option that'll need to be properly configured for hybrid only vehicles. A few of us have mentioned the B842 coding. For the hybrid only models, this will likely need to be set to B342 based on CyanLabs' AsBuilt databases. (B applies to Sync 3 equipped vehicles, A should apply to Sync 2).

Definitely interested in seeing if anyone who owns a hybrid model is interested in going through with this and how it goes.

Edited by cr08

On 2/11/2022 at 11:25 AM, Mpt said:

I am new here. So happy this forum exists! I just scheduled a visit to have 4G modem installed. Over the phone, the dealer quoted $340 for the modem kit. Two other dealerships i called wanted nothing to do with this recall - didn't provide cost, and said it would take "couple of months" for the next available schedule slot. My visit is in two weeks, will let you know how it goes. Cheers

We did our upgrade at Acton Ford, MA, and everything seems to work just fine with our C-Max Energi '17. Couldn't be happier with the service we received. The app is definitely junky and crashes a lot, but as i understand that has nothing to do with the modem kit, installation or the car itself. The rep at Acton Ford was very frank and informed us that some customers experienced issues, while others not, and provided brief guidance on possible testing and trouble-shooting. We were going in with realistic expectations that things won't work, so are pleasantly surprised that they actually do work... I guess that's a low bar, but hey, so far i can't complain. Best of luck everyone!

On 3/14/2022 at 12:45 AM, oldbeyondmeasure said:

I have a dealer-installed 4G modem on a 2017 C-Max Energi Titanium with Sync 3. I managed to get the TCU As Built information with FORScan. See the two screenshots. I hope this information is helpful to someone.

TCU_As_Built_1.png

TCU_As_Built_2.png

Looks like 754-02-01 is different from what @bakedpatato and I have set. Going to see about updating my AsBuilt config to match yours on my lunch break today and see if anything changes.

Small update. A lot of stuff is still missing in the FordPass app for me, patiently waiting. Can't set preferred charge times just yet in the app as it's not registering any locations yet. HOWEVER, it did allow me to adjust the default profile in Sync and it seems to be following it. Set it outside of the current time and did that just as I pulled in my garage. Plugged in and it only had an initial spike of 2-300w and dropped down to under 50w and hasn't budged. So that seems to be functional and I can be patient for the locations and the remaining functions in FordPass to show.

I just picked up my Ford C-Max with an upgraded modem.  Somehow Carvana/SilverRock replaced it for me under the limited warranty period.  So I mercifully had the $350 part and labor covered by a warranty.  I’m still not connected via the Ford Pass app but I’m hoping it updates soon.  It shows activation pending.  I assume i should master reset and reinstall the Ford pass app but that is a lot of steps if it will just take a few days to activate. . 

Does anyone know how long it takes  to activate or what I should look out for in the process?  Open to suggestions. 

Edited by NewbieCMax

Interesting development tonight...had to drive into town for a few hours, and there is a Chargepoint station near my location, so I plugged in to charge for the trip home.  After coming out, Ford Pass now showed additional info in the app, and saved the charge location to my charge log.  When I arrived home and plugged in to value charge overnight, I now see the same message banner at the bottom telling me the car is waiting to charge, the estimate when it will complete, and a button to click for more details.  I had not seen this before.  But I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning to see if I receive the same notifications post charge.

IMG_0263.PNG

IMG_0264.PNG

Edited by David_Tucker4

On 3/15/2022 at 9:40 PM, David_Tucker4 said:

Interesting development tonight...had to drive into town for a few hours, and there is a Chargepoint station near my location, so I plugged in to charge for the trip home.  After coming out, Ford Pass now showed additional info in the app, and saved the charge location to my charge log.  When I arrived home and plugged in to value charge overnight, I now see the same message banner at the bottom telling me the car is waiting to charge, the estimate when it will complete, and a button to click for more details.  I had not seen this before.  But I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning to see if I receive the same notifications post charge.

Had the dealer installed modem upgrade yesterday.  App took a few hours to register but eventually the car seemed to show up. Looks like I’m seeing the same thing you are seeing but the app only displayed charging info AFTER I charged it at home last night.  Now I get the same main screen data in your screen shots.  I still can’t set a charge notification or lock and unlock the vehicle.  But it is nice to see charge data, vehicle location, and vehicle status  info.  

Curious to know, @David_Tucker4 and others, what versions of Sync your C-Max is running. Mine is Sync 3, v3.0.20204. Value charging did not work in a big way last night as the car basically did not charge until I removed all of the value charging profiles in the FordPass app. Also, I cannot edit the default value charging profile in the app. I suspect these events may be related, or I may have just messed something up. I think some folks are on Sync 3, v3.4, so that is why I ask the question. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh, and for what it is worth, removing the value charging profiles in the FordPass app wiped out the default charging profile in Sync 3. Since I only charge the car at home, I think I will just set the default charging profile in Sync 3 and be done with it for now. 

Second edit, 3/19: Couldn't leave well enough alone. I added a new value charging profile for home and the car seems to be obeying it. Oil Life status has now appeared in the FordPass app but now I cannot add or change value charge times in the app. Under "Charge Settings," all that appears now is departure times, which I have set. More patience or tinkering is required; I am not sure which. 

Edited by oldbeyondmeasure
Add new information

On 3/16/2022 at 10:57 AM, oldbeyondmeasure said:

Curious to know, @David_Tucker4 and others, what versions of Sync your C-Max is running. Mine is Sync 3, v3.0.20204. Value charging did not work in a big way last night as the car basically did not charge until I removed all of the value charging profiles in the FordPass app. Also, I cannot edit the default value charging profile in the app. I suspect these events may be related, or I may have just messed something up. I think some folks are on Sync 3, v3.4, so that is why I ask the question. Thanks in advance.

Mine's running 3.4.21265 (latest 'bleeding edge' release available via CyanLabs' Syn3Updater). After setting the default VC profile in Sync yesterday (none of if is functional in the app yet), it seemed to do the job exactly as intended last night. Here's a graph of power usage. My VC times are set to charge between 12am through 8am both Weekends and Weekdays. I arrived home and plugged in right about that 4:30pm mark. This was also with my plug-in charge fully depleted which I know with the old TCU is hit or miss if it decides to follow the VC profile or not on initial plugin.

1370260492_Screenshot2022-03-16111316.thumb.png.09b770f3970a7ea040bc80cc2354cb28.png

Edited by cr08

On 3/16/2022 at 11:16 AM, cr08 said:

Mine's running 3.4.21265 (latest 'bleeding edge' release available via CyanLabs' Syn3Updater). After setting the default VC profile yesterday in Sync yesterday (none of if is functional in the app yet), it seemed to do the job exactly as intended last night. Here's a graph of power usage. My VC times are set to charge between 12am through 8am both Weekends and Weekdays. I arrived home and plugged in right about that 4:30pm mark. This was also with my plug-in charge fully depleted which I know with the old TCU is hit or miss if it decides to follow the VC profile or not on initial plugin.

1370260492_Screenshot2022-03-16111316.thumb.png.09b770f3970a7ea040bc80cc2354cb28.png

@oldbeyondmeasure, I'm on 3.4.21265 as well.

On 3/15/2022 at 9:57 PM, JDBlue said:

Any suggestions on where or how to source the necessary parts to do this conversion? So many of the parts on eBay seem to not match what we are looking for. The TCUs are all J or K or L or whatever.

Basically just keep tabs on the usual sources like eBay and such. If you have a favorite local junkyard you can see if they can source specific part #'s. Your local Ford parts department may also be able to source them at full retail cost, though at this time they may be backordered.

Based on the DIY work done so far here, what we know works are module part #'s HJ5T-14G087-** (the last two digits shouldn't matter in theory). So far a few were confirmed pulled from 2017 Escapes so that may be an additional route to look. There may be others out there but nothing else has been confirmed. 

I'll say that when I was looking for mine, they were very hard to locate just looking on eBay alone. I got lucky that someone had posted one out of the blue that they were getting rid of because they traded in before they could upgrade their own vehicle.

Edited by cr08

I have a dealer-installed 4G modem on a 2017 C-Max Energi Titanium with Sync 3 v3.0.20204. FORScan shows ACIM part number, strategy, and calibration as follows:acim_configuration.png.c4e4310185a6363954dc25369ff19670.png

Also adding As Built information for the ACIM from FORScan in attached files. However, I compared this with the As Built information that I downloaded from https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt for my car and it is identical except that https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt shows information for 7D0-08-01 that FORScan does not show. 

acim2.png

acim3.png

Edited by oldbeyondmeasure
Add new information

I believe for the tire pressure stuff that much like the old TCU's and MyFord Mobile, with these H series TCU's it's only going to alert you if tire pressures are low but won't go into more detail. Supposedly, based on info on the F150 forums Sync Connect retrofit thread, the Hotspot equipped J/K TCU's will show individual tire pressures.

There IS a trick that someone made me aware of in the CyanLabs Discord where you can pull in more detailed info than what the app shows through the Ford website. Unfortunately with no data being populated on mine yet, this trick is also unavailable to me. But you may have better luck @David_Tucker4OTA Update Status Hidden in the Ford Website | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions  

I did notice the Oil Life icon pop up on mine as well. Still no data though just yet.

On 3/17/2022 at 11:48 AM, cr08 said:

I believe for the tire pressure stuff that much like the old TCU's and MyFord Mobile, with these H series TCU's it's only going to alert you if tire pressures are low but won't go into more detail. Supposedly, based on info on the F150 forums Sync Connect retrofit thread, the Hotspot equipped J/K TCU's will show individual tire pressures.

There IS a trick that someone made me aware of in the CyanLabs Discord where you can pull in more detailed info than what the app shows through the Ford website. Unfortunately with no data being populated on mine yet, this trick is also unavailable to me. But you may have better luck @David_Tucker4OTA Update Status Hidden in the Ford Website | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions  

I did notice the Oil Life icon pop up on mine as well. Still no data though just yet.

I have the ability to see TPM readings for each tire plus many other parameters related to battery charge state, etc. in FORSCAN Lite on my iphone, connected to a BT MX OBD dongle.  It just seems strange Ford doesn't add the display in Ford Pass seeing that the PIDs exist and are functional.  Oh well.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:38 AM, David_Tucker4 said:

Just noticed I now have Oil Life under the Status heading.  Never had that before.  BTW, Tire Pressure Monitoring shows no data, just a description of the features.

IMG_0265.PNG

On 3/17/2022 at 11:19 AM, David_Tucker4 said:

I have the ability to see TPM readings for each tire plus many other parameters related to battery charge state, etc. in FORSCAN Lite on my iphone, connected to a BT MX OBD dongle.  It just seems strange Ford doesn't add the display in Ford Pass seeing that the PIDs exist and are functional.  Oh well.

I'm losing track of what forum I'm posting what info on ? (here, f150forum, fordfusionenergiforum.com) but yes, a J or later TCU is required for FordPass to display individual tire pressures in the app.

And furthermore, it seems that our vehicles are too old for it to work. I've spent the last week testing my KT1T TCU. After a downgrade to J firmware, it does communicate with my car (e.g. ESN appears in Sync 3 About screen), and I'm getting the normal telematics data like odometer, fuel level, D.T.E., and accurate current GPS location. I also get the HVB state of charge and estimated EV range, but that appears to be it in terms of EV-related goodies. So no options to look at/set value charging, go times, charge log, trip log or any of the other MFM stuff. There is a button for tire pressure and it goes to a screen showing a depiction of the car's four tires, but the pressure shown next to each is 0. Furthermore, it doesn't even show the recommended pressures. So this tells me that newer cars (perhaps CGEA 1.3?) have that data stored in a different location than the older platforms, and being that the J and later TCUs are meant for 2018+ vehicles, they just aren't programmed to look where our TPMS pressures are stored. That's my best guess anyway. I know that newer Fords can show the individual pressures on a diagram on the instrument cluster, so Ford obviously made some improvements to TPMS over the last few years.

I also tried downgrading the K TCU to H firmware but that would not flash, despite trying it several different ways. H TCUs are FCCID FAN and J/K TCUs are FCCID FANW, so they are probably just different enough that their firmware isn't cross compatible.

So I think an "H" TCU will be needed to get this truly working the same as the official Ford upgrade. Makes sense since the H is the one they themselves are installing, but it was worth trying the newer modules since they're definitely more plentiful.