2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

On 3/7/2022 at 6:27 PM, mextreme said:

I didn't realize the CSP 21B09 doc had instructions.

Anyone know what step 14. (below) refers to.  Finish the PMI process using IDS?  

Is that same as upgrading the TCU version?

image.png.babe53ee1a24388989f924c67830d9f7.png

PMI is Ford speak for Programmable Module Installation.  In other words, plug the TCU in and provision to the vehicle with the IDS.

On 3/7/2022 at 5:43 PM, David_Tucker4 said:

PMI is Ford speak for Programmable Module Installation.  In other words, plug the TCU in and provision to the vehicle with the IDS.

And to further clarify, PMI via IDS (or FJDS if you're not at a dealership) will update the calibration on a module if the module is not using the latest version 

I saw a comment on the cyanlabs discord that someone took their Fusion Energi into a dealership and they said the dealer complained of the module taking 3 hours for an update...which kinda is making me scratch my head because these TCUs are all supposed to have come from the refurbishment facility with the latest calibration 

But yes per David and I's experiences, if you have a H series TCU and flash the UM calibration on it, you should get value charging back and in general have a fully working FordPass app like you had the dealership do it!  

You may need to change your first line on your as built to get remote start/unlock/lock to work, David posted the only part that you really need, the 2nd part of the first 4 digits of that line. 

If you're braver and more frugal  than me you could get a K series TCU and try flashing the -UM calibration. 

Also @David_Tucker4 you should really update to 3.4 ?

Thanks to @cr08 for not giving up and keeping this thread updated! 

Edited by bakedpatato

On 3/7/2022 at 9:26 PM, bakedpatato said:

And to further clarify, PMI via IDS (or FJDS if you're not at a dealership) will update the calibration on a module if the module is not using the latest version 

I saw a comment on the cyanlabs discord that someone took their Fusion Energi into a dealership and they said the dealer complained of the module taking 3 hours for an update...which kinda is making me scratch my head because these TCUs are all supposed to have come from the refurbishment facility with the latest calibration 

But yes per David and I's experiences, if you have a H series TCU and flash the UM calibration on it, you should get value charging back and in general have a fully working FordPass app like you had the dealership do it!  

You may need to change your first line on your as built to get remote start/unlock/lock to work, David posted the only part that you really need, the 2nd part of the first 4 digits of that line. 

If you're braver and more frugal  than me you could get a K series TCU and try flashing the -UM calibration. 

Also @David_Tucker4 you should really update to 3.4 ?

Thanks to @cr08 for not giving up and keeping this thread updated! 

Haha, @bakedpatato, re-updated to 3.4 last night after dinner.

Still waiting on charge level notifications to come online.  Otherwise, I was delighted to walk out to a warmed up cabin at 7:00am this morning in 32F weather.

Wholeheartedly agree, special thanks to @cr08 for keeping the dream alive, and kudos to you, @oldbeyondmeasure, @bookemdano and all the other contributors for sticking with it and adding their experiences.  What a team!

IMG_0259.jpg

Edited by David_Tucker4
added kudos

Has anyone else completely lost the use of the radio since the 3G shutdown? My radio wont even turn on. I still have the navigation and it says my phone is connected on Bluetooth, but there is no sound and no mater where I push it just tells me audio off, and the radio wont turn on. Voice activation doesn’t work either. I have a 2013 C-Max Energi 

Edited by WeezReaper

On 3/8/2022 at 6:36 PM, WeezReaper said:

Has anyone else completely lost the use of the radio since the 3G shutdown? My radio wont even turn on. I still have the navigation and it says my phone is connected on Bluetooth, but there is no sound and no mater where I push it just tells me audio off, and the radio wont turn on. Voice activation doesn’t work either. I have a 2013 C-Max Energi 

No. The 3G shutdown won't affect the radio, navigation, or other in vehicle functions. What you are seeing is the common issue of the ACM (Audio Control Module, handles the AM/FM/Sirius tuners and audio routing to the speakers) freezing. Pull fuse 79 in the passenger side fuse box under the glove compartment for a minute or two to reset. A proper fix for this is to have your dealer update the ACM. Other Ford models have had TSBs for this same issue calling to update it as the proper fix.

Here is a follow up to my previous email where I described losing all functions with FordPass after the #g to 4g modem upgrade on my 2017 C-Max Energi.

After 7 calls to the FordPass people (each lasting about 30 minutes each) I got in touch with Ford Canada Customer Service and was assigned a case. Here a rep took over my case and made sure the issue was resolved (covering all costs, coordinating comms between the dealership tech and a Ford engineer, etc...).

I brought the car in one more time to replace the TCU module. It seems that was causing the problem. Oddly enough this is the 2nd time this module has been replaced. Anyway, after changing the module and doing what needed to be done (about 3 hours) I now have connectivity with FordPass. There are still a few little bugs but now I'm able to lock/unlock the doors, remote start, locate it on the map, display battery charge and fuel level and even correctly display mileage (it used to display -1000km before). Unfortunately, alerts (i.e. window open, etc...) are still not displaying. Despite that, it's a 100% improvement over what I had for the past 2 months.

Credit to Ford for the help and to thank me for being a loyal customer I got another 4 years of warranty on the Sync unit (which includes the TCU) for free. Nice!

My faith in the company has been restored.

On 3/8/2022 at 4:58 PM, MDSF said:

Here is a follow up to my previous email where I described losing all functions with FordPass after the #g to 4g modem upgrade on my 2017 C-Max Energi.

After 7 calls to the FordPass people (each lasting about 30 minutes each) I got in touch with Ford Canada Customer Service and was assigned a case. Here a rep took over my case and made sure the issue was resolved (covering all costs, coordinating comms between the dealership tech and a Ford engineer, etc...).

I brought the car in one more time to replace the TCU module. It seems that was causing the problem. Oddly enough this is the 2nd time this module has been replaced. Anyway, after changing the module and doing what needed to be done (about 3 hours) I now have connectivity with FordPass. There are still a few little bugs but now I'm able to lock/unlock the doors, remote start, locate it on the map, display battery charge and fuel level and even correctly display mileage (it used to display -1000km before). Unfortunately, alerts (i.e. window open, etc...) are still not displaying. Despite that, it's a 100% improvement over what I had for the past 2 months.

Credit to Ford for the help and to thank me for being a loyal customer I got another 4 years of warranty on the Sync unit (which includes the TCU) for free. Nice!

My faith in the company has been restored.

I'm in a similar situation.  I had the modem upgraded to 4g.  For a while, I was having problems activating my 2017 CMax Energi.  A few weeks back (give or take), I was able to activate my vehicle.  Unfortunately, that's as far as I got.  My app doesn't respond to lock/unlock, location, metrics, etc.  How far did you get with the first and second modems installed and the FordPass app? Were you able to activate your vehicle with it?

Hello all,

I happened upon this thread while seeking more information on this 4G update. I have a 2017 Focus Electric and picked up my vehicle from the dealership today. FordPass isn't working properly with the updated modem, as I have none of the connected vehicle features, but FordPass does show the car in the app, likely based on the VIN. I wanted to inquire as to whether anyone has successfully completed this upgrade while running Sync 3.4.21194. This is the current version of Sync on my vehicle, but Ford's website is pushing 3.0.20204 as the latest version. Ford support said the dealership may not have performed the install correctly, and others have said it takes time for FordPass to recognize the vehicle. I would rather not ask the dealership for help with this. They said it was the first one they've done, and kept the car for 2 1/2 days. The service manager is never around and never provides updates. As you can imagine with current gas prices and my other vehicle being an Expedition, this left me less than satisfied. I have Forscan, so if I need to pull some data I can do it. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

On 3/9/2022 at 4:54 PM, jghall00 said:

Hello all,

I happened upon this thread while seeking more information on this 4G update. I have a 2017 Focus Electric and picked up my vehicle from the dealership today. FordPass isn't working properly with the updated modem, as I have none of the connected vehicle features, but FordPass does show the car in the app, likely based on the VIN. I wanted to inquire as to whether anyone has successfully completed this upgrade while running Sync 3.4.21194. This is the current version of Sync on my vehicle, but Ford's website is pushing 3.0.20204 as the latest version. Ford support said the dealership may not have performed the install correctly, and others have said it takes time for FordPass to recognize the vehicle. I would rather not ask the dealership for help with this. They said it was the first one they've done, and kept the car for 2 1/2 days. The service manager is never around and never provides updates. As you can imagine with current gas prices and my other vehicle being an Expedition, this left me less than satisfied. I have Forscan, so if I need to pull some data I can do it. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Three quick comments: 

1. I have a 2017 C-Max Energi, not a Focus Electric, and it took five days for FordPass to start working correctly with my vehicle. Your mileage may vary. 

2. If you have Forscan, you might find the TCU configuration and post it. Mine looks like the attached file.

3. I believe there are others on this forum who have experience with Sync 3.4. 

I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Forscan_TCU_Configuration.png

On 3/9/2022 at 7:31 PM, oldbeyondmeasure said:

Three quick comments: 

1. I have a 2017 C-Max Energi, not a Focus Electric, and it took five days for FordPass to start working correctly with my vehicle. Your mileage may vary. 

2. If you have Forscan, you might find the TCU configuration and post it. Mine looks like the attached file.

3. I believe there are others on this forum who have experience with Sync 3.4. 

I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.  I have the info below from Forscan:

TCU - Telematic Control Unit Module

Part Number: GM5T-14G087-AF

Strategy: GM5T-14G139-AG

When I search that part number, it appears to be the older 2G/3G modem. But I don't know how the dealership could have kept my car for 2.5 days and not swapped the hardware. I'm chalking it up to some sort of software error. FordPass support said the modem was not programmed and provisioned correctly, which might explain the TCU_AUTHMODE being blank. I'm out over $400 and hours of time dealing with this. Ford is not making me happy right now.

20220309_200323s.jpg

20220309_200249s.jpg

On 3/9/2022 at 9:35 PM, jghall00 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I have the info below from Forscan:

TCU - Telematic Control Unit Module

Part Number: GM5T-14G087-AF

Strategy: GM5T-14G139-AG

When I search that part number, it appears to be the older 2G/3G modem. But I don't know how the dealership could have kept my car for 2.5 days and not swapped the hardware. I'm chalking it up to some sort of software error. FordPass support said the modem was not programmed and provisioned correctly, which might explain the TCU_AUTHMODE being blank. I'm out over $400 and hours of time dealing with this. Ford is not making me happy right now.

20220309_200323s.jpg

20220309_200249s.jpg

Just to be sure, can you remove the saved profile in ForScan (if you have one) and have it rescan everything? This'll make sure it gets a clean slate scan of the modules in the vehicle. If it still shows up as the GM5T-* part number after this, that is a clear indication that you're still on the old modem. I haven't heard of any software issues or glitches that would cause ForScan to report the wrong part #.

Edited by cr08

On 3/9/2022 at 8:49 PM, cr08 said:

Just to be sure, can you remove the saved profile in ForScan (if you have one) and have it rescan everything? This'll make sure it gets a clean slate scan of the modules in the vehicle. If it still shows up a the GM5T-* part number after this, that is a clear indication that you're still on the old modem. I haven't heard of any software issues or glitches that would cause ForScan to report the wrong part #.

Also, if you go to Settings > Vehicle on your Sync 3 center screen look at the Modem Serial number (ESN). If it starts with a U then you have a 4G/LTE modem. If it starts with a T then it's a 3G modem.

GeR2 Initially I was able to activate it but nothing worked. The only thing that did work (sort of) was the mileage however it showed my car having -1000 km. (sort of a pre assembly line embryonic stage). :)

Replacing the TCU did trick.

Good luck!

On 3/9/2022 at 8:53 PM, bookemdano said:

Also, if you go to Settings > Vehicle on your Sync 3 center screen look at the Modem Serial number (ESN). If it starts with a U then you have a 4G/LTE modem. If it starts with a T then it's a 3G modem.

Thanks! I confirmed that it starts with a U. I rescanned the modules in Forscan and got an updated part number. The TCU_AUTHSTATE has also updated to "Wait for Authorize." That was a relief. At least I know the part was installed. Not sure if it's waiting for something to happen on the Ford side, or if additional action is required on my end. Applink doesn't seem to do anything. FordPass flashed a message about getting data, but still nothing in the Android app.

20220309_214322.jpg

20220309_215127.jpg

On 3/9/2022 at 10:02 PM, jghall00 said:

Thanks! I confirmed that it starts with a U. I rescanned the modules in Forscan and got an updated part number. The TCU_AUTHSTATE has also updated to "Wait for Authorize." That was a relief. At least I know the part was installed. Not sure if it's waiting for something to happen on the Ford side, or if additional action is required on my end. Applink doesn't seem to do anything. FordPass flashed a message about getting data, but still nothing in the Android app.

20220309_214322.jpg

20220309_215127.jpg

Great! You can authorize much easier using this web site: https://connectedcar-sdk.com/dashboard

Sign in there with your FordPass login (don't worry, it's safe). You can send the authorize command from that site. Then go to your car and turn it on. After a few moments you should see the prompt come up on your sync screen (disregard the references to MyFordMobile--the name is hard-coded into the sync software). Choose to allow and then you should be able to see your tcu_authstate change to authorized mode. At that point it should just be a bit of a wait for the data to populate in FordPass (2-3 days I think).

Edited by bookemdano

On 3/9/2022 at 11:17 PM, bookemdano said:

Great! You can authorize much easier using this web site: https://connectedcar-sdk.com/dashboard

Sign in there with your FordPass login (don't worry, it's safe). You can send the authorize command from that site. Then go to your car and turn it on. After a few moments you should see the prompt come up on your sync screen (disregard the references to MyFordMobile--the name is hard-coded into the sync software). Choose to allow and then you should be able to see your tcu_authstate change to authorized mode. At that point it should just be a bit of a wait for the data to populate in FordPass (2-3 days I think).

Thanks!  I tried using the website this morning and received the access request on the head unit immediately. I tried it yesterday before posting, but I guess the vehicle had not initialized the modem? After refreshing the info using Forscan and logging into the site it worked...for me.

Now, for some reason the same process isn't working for my wife. When she tries to send the request using the website on her phone, it doesn't seem to get sent. When I did it, the status changed to "pending." When she tries it, the status doesn't update at all. Any clue why this may be?

On 3/10/2022 at 6:38 AM, jghall00 said:

Thanks!  I tried using the website this morning and received the access request on the head unit immediately. I tried it yesterday before posting, but I guess the vehicle had not initialized the modem? After refreshing the info using Forscan and logging into the site it worked...for me.

Now, for some reason the same process isn't working for my wife. When she tries to send the request using the website on her phone, it doesn't seem to get sent. When I did it, the status changed to "pending." When she tries it, the status doesn't update at all. Any clue why this may be?

You paired the car with your Ford account already, so your wife would just need to sign into FordPass with your Ford account and she should be able to control it as well. You only do the pairing step once per Ford account, not per phone. 

On 3/10/2022 at 9:09 AM, bookemdano said:

You paired the car with your Ford account already, so your wife would just need to sign into FordPass with your Ford account and she should be able to control it as well. You only do the pairing step once per Ford account, not per phone. 

It's been my understanding based on what I've seen posted about the FordPass app that it should be possible for another user to have their own account and add the vehicle as well, thus having it on two separate FordPass accounts. This is also something I want to try and confirm myself as I do have a use for this and would like to not share an account if possible. I'm just waiting for everything to finally populate in the app on my end before I give that a try.

EDIT: Looks like today's going to be the best day weather-wise here over the next few days so I'll be doing the calibration update on my unit later this afternoon. Will probably also adjust my AsBuilt per the information @bakedpatato has in his and see how it all goes. 

Edited by cr08

On 3/10/2022 at 8:44 AM, cr08 said:

It's been my understanding based on what I've seen posted about the FordPass app that it should be possible for another user to have their own account and add the vehicle as well, thus having it on two separate FordPass accounts. This is also something I want to try and confirm myself as I do have a use for this and would like to not share an account if possible. I'm just waiting for everything to finally populate in the app on my end before I give that a try.

Really? I stand corrected then. I guess I'm just not sure how that would work, because the TCU needs to be in "wait for authorization" mode in order to accept a control request from FordPass. But once the pairing is established, the TCU stays in authorized mode. It only goes back to "wait for authorization" if the car is removed from the Ford account. MFM worked the same way.

If there is indeed a way to do this, maybe it is done via Ford's backend (i.e. the "owner" of the pairing delegates access to another Ford account)? 

Yeah, I'm also not quite sure on the details. It's basically just been brief mentions from other people saying they were able to set it up under multiple separate accounts. I know with MyFord Mobile there was that delegation process where you added a second approved and registered user as another driver on the primary account. Haven't seen anything like that in FordPass though. But definitely something I'm going to investigate further.

Ok. Looks like there's a similar delegation process in FordPass based on this FAQ.

TL;DR (if I'm reading this correctly): If the vehicle is already active on an existing FordPass account, a secondary unique account can add the VIN and the authorization request will come through the app vs another authorization in the vehicle.

FordPass Connect Frequently Asked Questions | All-State Ford Truck Sales (allstateford.com)

Q: Can my family members connect their FordPass Accounts to FordPass Connect in my vehicle?

A: Yes, you can have up to 10 accounts connected to your FordPass Connect enabled vehicle. A new account can request access, and the primary account user can approve this. Subsequent new account requests can then be approved by authorised accounts (not just by the primary account holder). NOTE - The authorisation process is being revised so that only the Primary account holder can authorise access for new accounts.

Also:

How do I request access to an authorized vehicle in the FordPass App?

If you've attempted to activate Vehicle Controls, but received a pop-up confirming that your vehicle is already activated:

1. Tap the Request Authorization tab if you will be an additional command user.
  2. A message will be sent to all current activated users. 
  3. They'll receive a message in their app of your request.
  4. Once approved, you will have command access. 

Note: If you want to activate a vehicle and remove all existing activated users, you can perform a Master Reset

And for all intents and purposes, our vehicles will now fall under the 'FordPass Connect' functionality and processes.

Ok. Just confirmed the secondary user setup with FordPass and works exactly how the excerpts above state. Second user will set up their own FordPass account and add the VIN to the app. It'll pop up stating it's already been activated by another user and offer to request authorization from the primary user. In the primary user's app it'll have the option either in a small alert box or the message center to authorize the user. Once authorized, the FordPass app for the second user shows everything as expected.