2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

I am not seeing Oil Life Remaining, at least not yet. I suspect these factors may be in play here: Sync 3 version (I don't have 3.4 level version) and FordPass app/smartphone combination, as I have an Android phone. I cannot prove this with respect to the FordPass app, but I know of at least one other smartphone app that has different features between iPhone and Android versions. 

My C-Max did tell me last year that it was time to get an oil change two years to the day from the previous one. I had driven 3,300 miles since the previous oil change; probably no more than 600 miles on the gasoline engine. Nearly all of my trips these days are 24 miles or less. 

On 3/17/2022 at 1:58 PM, oldbeyondmeasure said:

I am not seeing Oil Life Remaining, at least not yet. I suspect these factors may be in play here: Sync 3 version (I don't have 3.4 level version) and FordPass app/smartphone combination, as I have an Android phone. I cannot prove this with respect to the FordPass app, but I know of at least one other smartphone app that has different features between iPhone and Android versions. 

My C-Max did tell me last year that it was time to get an oil change two years to the day from the previous one. I had driven 3,300 miles since the previous oil change; probably no more than 600 miles on the gasoline engine. Nearly all of my trips these days are 24 miles or less. 

Yeah, the "intelligent oil-life monitor" frankly isn't that intelligent. As far as I can tell, it simply keeps track of overall miles (not just ICE miles) and days since the previous oil change. If you hit 2 years or 20,000 miles it tells you to change the oil. I guess "Dumb oil-life monitor" doesn't have the same marketing zing ?

Also, thanks for posting your APIM version and as-built info. Looks like no changes there for the new TCU, so at least that's one variable we can eliminate. 

Tiny update:

Had to Master Reset after doing the new Sync 3.4.22020 update which clears the FordPass activation. That also wiped the default VC profile. After reactivating, the same profile returned and set it back to Value Charge status. So seems like Ford's servers have that now and is populating in Sync at least. Of course, still waiting for all the other data to show.

I do have a question for the rest of you and that is what signal level you're seeing in ForScan on the TCU? I'm not sure if the expected numbers are different between the old 3G modules and the current one. Right now mine's floating between 38-42. Wondering if maybe that's too low and I need to fast track a proper Ford antenna to help it out.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:10 PM, cr08 said:

Tiny update:

Had to Master Reset after doing the new Sync 3.4.22020 update which clears the FordPass activation. That also wiped the default VC profile. After reactivating, the same profile returned and set it back to Value Charge status. So seems like Ford's servers have that now and is populating in Sync at least. Of course, still waiting for all the other data to show.

I do have a question for the rest of you and that is what signal level you're seeing in ForScan on the TCU? I'm not sure if the expected numbers are different between the old 3G modules and the current one. Right now mine's floating between 38-42. Wondering if maybe that's too low and I need to fast track a proper Ford antenna to help it out.

I've installed a proper Ford HL3Z-19A390-A PIFA Antenna, and regularly see the same signal levels as you at my house, which is a notoriously awful dead zone for cell service.  At 38-42, I still get excellent response times for any Ford Pass polls or actions.

I should also note that I had originally installed the generic LTE antenna sourced from Amazon, and had signal levels around 20, so this is a definite improvement for me and shows as such in app responsiveness.

Edited by David_Tucker4
Added detail

17.03.2022 o 18:01 bookemdano powiedział:

Tracę trop, na jakim forum zamieszczam jakie informacje na ? (tutaj, f150forum, fordfusionenergiforum.com), ale tak, do FordPass wymagany jest J lub nowszy TCU, aby wyświetlić indywidualne ciśnienie w oponach w aplikacji.

Co więcej, wydaje się, że nasze pojazdy są za stare, aby to działało. Ostatni tydzień spędziłem na testowaniu mojego TCU KT1T. Po zmianie oprogramowania układowego na J komunikuje się z moim samochodem (np. ESN pojawia się na ekranie Informacje o synchronizacji 3) i otrzymuję normalne dane telematyczne, takie jak licznik kilometrów, poziom paliwa, DTE i dokładna aktualna lokalizacja GPS. Otrzymuję również stan naładowania HVB i szacowany zasięg EV, ale wydaje się, że to jest to, jeśli chodzi o zalety związane z EV. Nie ma więc opcji przeglądania/ustawiania wartości ładowania, czasów przejazdu, dziennika ładowania, dziennika podróży ani żadnych innych rzeczy związanych z MFM. Jest przycisk ciśnienia w oponach i prowadzi do ekranu przedstawiającego obraz czterech opon samochodu, ale ciśnienie pokazane obok każdej z nich wynosi 0. Co więcej, nie pokazuje nawet zalecanych ciśnień. To mówi mi, że nowsze samochody (być może CGEA 1.3?) mają te dane przechowywane w innej lokalizacji niż starsze platformy, a ponieważ J i późniejsze TCU są przeznaczone dla pojazdów 2018+, po prostu nie są zaprogramowane, aby szukać gdzie nasze ciśnienia TPMS są przechowywane. To moje najlepsze przypuszczenie. Wiem, że nowsze Fordy mogą pokazywać indywidualne ciśnienia na wykresie na zestawie wskaźników, więc Ford oczywiście wprowadził pewne ulepszenia w TPMS w ciągu ostatnich kilku lat.

Próbowałem również obniżyć wersję oprogramowania K TCU do H, ale to się nie flashuje, pomimo wypróbowania go na kilka różnych sposobów. H TCU to FCCID FAN, a J/K TCU to FCCID FANW, więc prawdopodobnie są na tyle różne, że ich oprogramowanie układowe nie jest kompatybilne.

Myślę więc, że potrzebny będzie TCU „H”, aby to naprawdę działało tak samo, jak oficjalna aktualizacja Forda. Ma to sens, ponieważ H to ten, który sami instalują, ale warto było wypróbować nowsze moduły, ponieważ jest ich zdecydowanie więcej. 

Therefore, you need to change the GWM to newer ones.

I will try to go into newer parts, I have Fusion Energy in 2017 and I had:
TCU - HS7T-14G087-EC
GWM - HG9T-14F642-AB
Now I will exchange them for European parts, because I imported the car from the USA to Poland:
TCU LV4T-14G229-DP
GWM LJ5T-14F642-BG
PIFA ANTENNA LJ6T-19K351-BB
LTE ANTENNA
ROOF ANTENNA - SHARK
The parts come from the Ford Kuga EU (Escape USA) 2020.

Also, if you replace GWM with a newer one, tcu J will work fully by changing HS3Can to HS4Can.

On 3/18/2022 at 6:36 AM, SlaV77 said:

Therefore, you need to change the GWM to newer ones.

I will try to go into newer parts, I have Fusion Energy in 2017 and I had:
TCU - HS7T-14G087-EC
GWM - HG9T-14F642-AB
Now I will exchange them for European parts, because I imported the car from the USA to Poland:
TCU LV4T-14G229-DP
GWM LJ5T-14F642-BG
PIFA ANTENNA LJ6T-19K351-BB
LTE ANTENNA
ROOF ANTENNA - SHARK
The parts come from the Ford Kuga EU (Escape USA) 2020.

Also, if you replace GWM with a newer one, tcu J will work fully by changing HS3Can to HS4Can.

Please report back your results from changing out your gateway module. The "J" TCUs communicate via HS3CAN, so flashing J strategy to a K TCU makes it communicate with the ICAN-based C-Max just fine, even with the old gateway module. I get location, odometer, fuel level, battery state of charge, etc.

But it does not gain the EV functions in FordPass (charge scheduling, charge log, notifications, etc.) I think an "H" TCU is required for this.

If you can get everything working in your Fusion Energi with an L TCU that would be great news. Please keep us posted.

Based on the info we've found on the H series TCU leads me to believe the same route would need to be take on the Hotspot TCU's, that being an updated calibration is likely needed to enable these functions.

Looking at the 2020 Fusion Energi brochure it does appear they were equipped with hotspot functionality and also had 4G TCU's standard if this document is accurate? Would likely to need to track down someone who owns one to confirm their TCU Part # and calibration level.

Looked up the 2019 Fusion brochure as well and they note it is equipped with the 4G hotspot equipped TCU. Which is very strange given the CSP lists these model years. Very peculiar and now I'm definitely interested in getting confirmed data from '19/20 Fusion owners.

EDIT: Reviewing the brochures further, only the '20 Fusion Energi appears to have been equipped with the FordPass Connect 4G hotspot in addition to MyFord Mobile functionality. '19s and prior only list the hotspot function on Hybrid or ICE only trims.

2020_FusionPlugInHybrid.pdf (ford.com)

2020 Fusion Tech Specs (ford.com)

Edited by cr08

On 3/18/2022 at 4:08 AM, David_Tucker4 said:

I've installed a proper Ford HL3Z-19A390-A PIFA Antenna, and regularly see the same signal levels as you at my house, which is a notoriously awful dead zone for cell service.  At 38-42, I still get excellent response times for any Ford Pass polls or actions.

I should also note that I had originally installed the generic LTE antenna sourced from Amazon, and had signal levels around 20, so this is a definite improvement for me and shows as such in app responsiveness.

Any issues with installing the Antenna, given that it is not the same one the dealership is using in their instructions?

On 3/19/2022 at 11:08 AM, JDBlue said:

Any issues with installing the Antenna, given that it is not the same one the dealership is using in their instructions?

Not OP but I also installed the same antenna and had no issues at all. The F150 guys (who pioneered installing TCUs in their trucks a few years ago) have been using that antenna with great results, so it is tried and true at this point.

Installing it is truly plug and play. Note that they normally don't come with a cable--just a male Fakra connector. There is a Ford cable available but I just bought a bingfu female fakra to female fakra cable--there are several different lengths available on amazon.

The nice thing about the official Ford antenna is it doesn't cause the TCU to throw a code like the bingfu does. Obviously not a big deal but it's a nice feeling to scan for codes and not have any!

On 3/19/2022 at 9:31 AM, bookemdano said:

Installing it is truly plug and play. Note that they normally don't come with a cable--just a male Fakra connector. There is a Ford cable available but I just bought a bingfu female fakra to female fakra cable--there are several different lengths available on amazon.

Plug and play sounds good! No drilling or anything to mount the antenna itself? Where did you place it? The instructions for the official cmax part seem to say to use the built in adhesive to stick it to the trim panel.

Edited by JDBlue

On 3/19/2022 at 12:55 PM, JDBlue said:

Plug and play sounds good! No drilling or anything to mount the antenna itself? Where did you place it? The instructions for the official cmax part seem to say to use the built in adhesive to stick it to the trim panel.

Echoing what @cr08 said, no issues at all installing.  I put mine behind the same interior quarter panel that the TCU is behnd.  I simply removed the panel, then removed one of the bolts that holds down the aluminum battery cover.  I had to drill out the factory mount on the antenna just a bit for the bolt to slip through.  Then just bolt it back down in the original spot.  The Ford antenna has to be grounded, hence my desire to use one of the battery cover bolts already available.  I'll snap a pic if I get a chance.

Edited by David_Tucker4

Looks like data is finally starting to show for me after actually being able to make a few trips and not just sit in my garage. I lost the departure times and EV trip options that were there previously cut everything else is now working reliably.

1232849250_Screenshot_20220319-2245572.thumb.png.9f1bfb2535a19d602e4325bb6aa0eb19.png

I did turn on the journey stuff in FordPass but I was able to confirm data flowing through to my Home Assistant install which only pulls data from Ford/'The Cloud'.

Also was able to link FordPass to my Google Home which it wouldn't let me before saying the vehicle needs to be activated first.

Edited by cr08

New this morning, received a notification in Ford Pass of 100% charging completed overnight.  Even though the app won't let me save the charging notification toggle as "on".  Ford still working app software, but functionality seems to work.  I'm figuring this will be the case for several more months at least while their devs work it out.

I've just inquired about my 2013 Ford C-max energi on upgrading my 3g modem to a 4g modem. They said they can do it but i have pay for the modem and labor which is about $450. The newer years i believe ford will pay for the modem but the customer has to pay for labor which is about $100.

Today I struggled with the replacement of tcu from 2017 to 2020 in fusion energy 2017. It's a big deal, I have the tcu part number LV4T-14G229-DP, and it detects it in the system as LB5T-14G087-XH.

First thing is after replacing the GWM with the newer one from 2020, most of the modules have disappeared from the car, it does not detect them.

Second thing, Apim doesn't detect TCu, can't see serial tcu number.

275340426_1283904445436729_1379347960231472136_n.jpg

275780968_3175169202731204_1901964235373824482_n.jpg

275715102_2982160745273776_1970836165036422038_n.jpg

If I swap back to the original GWM and TCU, everything is back to normal. I think the gwm is too new. I am now looking for a GWM kg9t-14f642-bc with fusion energi 2020.

Edited by SlaV77

We have a 2014 Fusion Energi and looking at just purchasing the replacement TCU through local dealer under the program. 

I might install myself or pay dealer.  Don't have time for a full DIY right now.

My question : Is Ford extending access to FordPass for access to data for older cars / owners?

I always thought there was going to be a limit to 5 years while using MyFordMobile but

it never stopped working, past the 5 years.

Point being - no reason to upgrade the hardware if I can't get access to the data?

Anyone else with cars older then 5 years having issue getting this to work.

I am more interested in trip data along with full / ev used - but would like to have all functionality previously with MFM.

I don't think the modem upgrade notice answers this question.

Thanks.

On 3/23/2022 at 2:23 PM, mextreme said:

We have a 2014 Fusion Energi and looking at just purchasing the replacement TCU through local dealer under the program. 

I might install myself or pay dealer.  Don't have time for a full DIY right now.

My question : Is Ford extending access to FordPass for access to data for older cars / owners?

I always thought there was going to be a limit to 5 years while using MyFordMobile but

it never stopped working, past the 5 years.

Point being - no reason to upgrade the hardware if I can't get access to the data?

Anyone else with cars older then 5 years having issue getting this to work.

I am more interested in trip data along with full / ev used - but would like to have all functionality previously with MFM.

I don't think the modem upgrade notice answers this question.

Thanks.

Ford has essentially made all the basic FordPass functions free for 'life' (subject to change at their whim of course, but they have not made any indications this will change any time soon) for any eligible vehicles including ours, regardless of what the situation was with MyFord Mobile.

The only option that costs when it comes for FordPass is if the vehicle was hotspot equipped and the cost is just for that feature alone.

EDIT: To add an additional note on this, a few of us here have 2014 or older C-Max's. Mine's a '13 and the DIY has been working fine barring FordPass just being slow to populate things. And there's no area in the app or on the website concerning a subscription or expiration or anything of the sort. And as far as Ford knows, my TCU is tied to my '13 C-Max and not the previous '17 Escape that the TCU was pulled from.

Edited by cr08

On 3/23/2022 at 11:51 AM, cr08 said:

Ford has essentially made all the basic FordPass functions free for 'life' (subject to change at their whim of course, but they have not made any indications this will change any time soon) for any eligible vehicles including ours, regardless of what the situation was with MyFord Mobile.

The only option that costs when it comes for FordPass is if the vehicle was hotspot equipped and the cost is just for that feature alone.

Thanks for the detailed response. 

We can all hope that Ford continues to support free access to our data and remote services. 

Now if GMC would also do the same.  I believe our Volt online services is limited to 5 years - not sure if GMC will extend it.

One weird and funny thing I noticed happening and totally expected given how Value Charge was a bit hit or miss on MFM:

If I do a refresh in FordPass, even with VC set or even when the battery is full and has sat, it'll start trying to charge again. Got my EVSE plugged into a smart plug directly now and it's been fine (knock on wood) and I reliably see the power usage jump to ~1200w when I do this.

On 3/23/2022 at 3:17 PM, cr08 said:

One weird and funny thing I noticed happening and totally expected given how Value Charge was a bit hit or miss on MFM:

If I do a refresh in FordPass, even with VC set or even when the battery is full and has sat, it'll start trying to charge again. Got my EVSE plugged into a smart plug directly now and it's been fine (knock on wood) and I reliably see the power usage jump to ~1200w when I do this.

I can confirm the same behavior on my 2020 FFE since doing the “H” TCU with UM profile DIY update.  

Past behavior with the 3G MFM setup was that when I would plug in the car in the garage during mid day (even though VC was set to go at 12:01am the next morning) you would hear a relay clamping down under the hood and sometimes the amp meter on my level 2 charger would show a few amps being drawn for less than a minute.  If I changed by VC settings when MFM was still working I would also hear that noise as the profile would change.

Since completing the 4G upgrade it appears that every time Fordpass has ANY dialogue with the car one hears that same relay (or at least one that sounds the same in the same area under the hood).   It is very easy to reproduce by standing in that area of the car when locking or unlocking the doors using the Fordpass app in that before the doors lock or unlock you hear that relay and then after that noise the doors lock or unlock.  I am also able to reproduce it just by pulling down to update on the Fordpass screen that shows charge level and gasoline fill level.

Since my DIY upgrade this weekend I can set and toggle on/off VC via SYNC and the car will act accordingly.  The Fordpass app will show charging underway and a completed charge.   No notifications yet and as some have mentioned the set button gets rejected anyway.   Lock/unlock works as does start.   I can see oil life.

No control via the app of value charge, but I am happy with the progress and plan to wait patiently for additional functions to appear as Ford does more homework on this.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:10 PM, JTEX said:

I can confirm the same behavior on my 2020 FFE since doing the “H” TCU with UM profile DIY update.  

Past behavior with the 3G MFM setup was that when I would plug in the car in the garage during mid day (even though VC was set to go at 12:01am the next morning) you would hear a relay clamping down under the hood and sometimes the amp meter on my level 2 charger would show a few amps being drawn for less than a minute.  If I changed by VC settings when MFM was still working I would also hear that noise as the profile would change.

Since completing the 4G upgrade it appears that every time Fordpass has ANY dialogue with the car one hears that same relay (or at least one that sounds the same in the same area under the hood).   It is very easy to reproduce by standing in that area of the car when locking or unlocking the doors using the Fordpass app in that before the doors lock or unlock you hear that relay and then after that noise the doors lock or unlock.  I am also able to reproduce it just by pulling down to update on the Fordpass screen that shows charge level and gasoline fill level.

Since my DIY upgrade this weekend I can set and toggle on/off VC via SYNC and the car will act accordingly.  The Fordpass app will show charging underway and a completed charge.   No notifications yet and as some have mentioned the set button gets rejected anyway.   Lock/unlock works as does start.   I can see oil life.

No control via the app of value charge, but I am happy with the progress and plan to wait patiently for additional functions to appear as Ford does more homework on this.

Same boat here with the lack of VC/Go Time functions in the app so far. They function just fine in Sync though.

One user on the Focus BEV forums just posted at least having those functions in FordPass (hasn't confirmed them working) with the Sync screens working like ours. The Focus BEV was the one thing explicitly called out in this upgrade CSP as not having the 'scheduled charging' functions until sometime this Summer. So I'm curious if that is still going to affect us to some degree.

Thankfully with me working from home and already using public charging sparingly (maybe a handful of times a year at best), the default VC profile works perfectly.

Interesting change of behavior on the Fordpass iOS app today:  Previously when you would attempt to activate the charge level notification there were many seconds of waiting before it gave up and you had to “discard” your settings attempt.   As of today when you click on “Charge level notification” a “something’s not right, please try again” pops nearly instantly followed by (nearly instantly as well)  it jumping back to the prior screen.  Obviously stuff being changed in the background.   I am fine with waiting on anything beyond what have achieved together so far in that I have value charge back (via Sync) and I can remotely see charge status (the key 4G win).   Just hope we don’t experience any regressions in functionality as they work all of this out.   If/when the addition of app management of VC arrives may plan is to call this a full success.

As of today the Fordpass app on iOS has gone back to its multiple minute “loading” spinning wheel if one attempts to turn on/save charge notifications via the app.  After the long time has passed it says at the top “something has gone wrong. Please try again”. When you try again to save the same things happens.

Whatever the case . . . current accurate charge state remains shown in the app (a great thing!), but notifications are yet to come.

Is anyone who did the upgrade getting any trip history in Driving Data > Journeys > My EV driving data?

Mine is constantly blank despite several recent trips. I did not enable the journey recording, but that shouldn't really be necessary because that uses your phone and the EV driving data should all come direct from the TCU (just as it did with MFM).

On 3/25/2022 at 12:24 PM, bookemdano said:

Is anyone who did the upgrade getting any trip history in Driving Data > Journeys > My EV driving data?

Mine is constantly blank despite several recent trips. I did not enable the journey recording, but that shouldn't really be necessary because that uses your phone and the EV driving data should all come direct from the TCU (just as it did with MFM).

Journeys works most of the time for me.  It started working after giving it "All the Time" location permission.    As for My EV Driving, I used to have access to that feature.  For some reason it has disappeared from the "My Journeys" screen.  I hope they bring it back because it's nice to see the energy usage with trip mileage.  I use the data on a spreadsheet that tracks its usage.