2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

On 1/27/2022 at 2:07 PM, David_Tucker4 said:

Hi All,

I'm the guy from the MFM forum who did the DIY swap to his 2014 C-MAX Energi.  Thanks for the link, bookemdano.  Kudos to you, bakedpatato, for doing the same to yours.  I can confirm I am experiencing the same issues accessing value charging on both the in-car Sync 3 screen and the Ford Pass app.  Screens are not responsive to edits, same as you are seeing, bakedpatato. 

My 2014 was originally a Sync 2 setup, but I upgraded to Sync 3.4 last year.  Just for kicks, I reinstalled the old Sync 2 system, and saw the same thing - no edits were possible on the value charging screen.  It had all worked perfectly with the old 3G modem in both Sync systems.  I'm hoping Ford allows it to start working before the summer though, because I credit the ability to charge overnight in cooler temperatures for maintaining a good charge level and 20+ miles of range at full charge even after 75K miles.

Hello - I was wondering how you did your Sync 2 to 3.4 last year AND if the modem has to be updated for the functionality to be worth while.  I recently (May 18th) had my car into the dealer for something and inquired about the modem update.  Unfortunately I was stuck in a work meeting and asked my husband to drop the car.  I told him to ask them about the modem update and that I had received a letter.  That translated somehow there were no modem recalls and they said the Sync software needed to be updated.  When I picked up the car I said what about the modem?  I was essentially told the cost would be ~$800 and they were not even sure the 2014 Energi could be updated.  Basically talked me out of it and did no research. This week the Sync just started constantly rebooting.  I've done a soft reset, hard reset and master reset after pulling the audio/speaker fuse as suggested in another forum so I could get to the setting menu.  Still continually rebooting even after the master reset if the fuse is in.  If the fuse is out it appears to function, just without sound.  Dealer has no service appointments for a week.

At this point I am thinking of buying the kit and converting to Sync 3 but if the modem is still required to be updated that will double the cost (kit on Amazon is $800).

I am still going to push the issue with the dealer on covering labor and install if the modem since they essentially talked me out of it but don't want to spend the additional $800-$1000 if its not really needed. 

Any help or if you could point me in the right direction, would be really appreciated. 

On 6/24/2022 at 2:59 AM, kathi said:

Hello - I was wondering how you did your Sync 2 to 3.4 last year AND if the modem has to be updated for the functionality to be worth while.  I recently (May 18th) had my car into the dealer for something and inquired about the modem update.  Unfortunately I was stuck in a work meeting and asked my husband to drop the car.  I told him to ask them about the modem update and that I had received a letter.  That translated somehow there were no modem recalls and they said the Sync software needed to be updated.  When I picked up the car I said what about the modem?  I was essentially told the cost would be ~$800 and they were not even sure the 2014 Energi could be updated.  Basically talked me out of it and did no research. This week the Sync just started constantly rebooting.  I've done a soft reset, hard reset and master reset after pulling the audio/speaker fuse as suggested in another forum so I could get to the setting menu.  Still continually rebooting even after the master reset if the fuse is in.  If the fuse is out it appears to function, just without sound.  Dealer has no service appointments for a week.

At this point I am thinking of buying the kit and converting to Sync 3 but if the modem is still required to be updated that will double the cost (kit on Amazon is $800).

I am still going to push the issue with the dealer on covering labor and install if the modem since they essentially talked me out of it but don't want to spend the additional $800-$1000 if its not really needed. 

Any help or if you could point me in the right direction, would be really appreciated. 

Surprised that you received a letter about the modem, since to my knowledge the 21B09 program (customer pays parts but free labor) only covers 2017s and maybe a few 2016s depending on when they were purchased. EDIT: Just dawned on me that the letter you received probably came from your dealer directly. Ford did encourage dealerships to reach out to anyone with an affected VIN# and offer to do the modem swap (with the customer covering all costs of course).

Anyway, the modem does not matter for the Sync experience. You could even completely remove your modem when doing the sync upgrade and sync would work just fine. Conversely, you could upgrade the modem to 4G for the remote features and stay on Sync 2.

For the last couple months Ford has had a moratorium on modem swaps because they're working out some software bugs. So this may be why your husband got some pushback from the dealer when he brought the car in last month. It's expected that the program will be resumed early next month but I don't think that's 100% yet.

Your 2014 should be able to have the modem swapped, despite what your dealer said. We have at least one 2013 owner who convinced his dealer to do it, and at least one other (@cr08) who did it himself and they work just the same as everyone else's. Unlike the 2013s, 2014s were explicitly included in Ford's guidance to dealers about doing the swaps (though the customer is responsible for all costs).

As for your Sync rebooting issue, which fuse did you pull? 79 is the normal one to reset the ACM, but you might also try pulling fuse 67 at the same time. That should reset the APIM as well. Then put both fuses back in and see where you're at. While you're at it, make sure you don't have anything plugged into the USB ports in the center console.

If it still reboots after that then perhaps your ACM is dead/dying. Thing is though, I don't think a Sync 2 > 3 upgrade would help in that situation since the ACM doesn't get swapped. I'm a bit out of my league on this topic though as my C-Max came with Sync 3. Hopefully @cr08 or someone else who has done a Sync 2 > 3 upgrade can chime in.

Good luck.

Edit: Also, check the health of your 12V battery, especially if it's the original one from 2014. A dying 12V battery can cause all kinds of electrical gremlins.

Edited by bookemdano

On 6/24/2022 at 10:28 AM, bookemdano said:

As for your Sync rebooting issue, which fuse did you pull? 79 is the normal one to reset the ACM, but you might also try pulling fuse 67 at the same time. That should reset the APIM as well. Then put both fuses back in and see where you're at. While you're at it, make sure you don't have anything plugged into the USB ports in the center console.

If it still reboots after that then perhaps your ACM is dead/dying. Thing is though, I don't think a Sync 2 > 3 upgrade would help in that situation since the ACM doesn't get swapped. I'm a bit out of my league on this topic though as my C-Max came with Sync 3. Hopefully @cr08 or someone else who has done a Sync 2 > 3 upgrade can chime in.

If it happens often like maybe a couple times a day or even during a drive, that doesn't sound like the ACM from how most owners have experienced it. Usually the ACM may act up once or twice a year.

What I have seen however on the older Sync 2/MFT APIMs not only first hand with my C-Max but I've seen a few other owners report it as well where they start to fail and throw a Windows-esque 'Application Error' dialog for some system service and reboots. And depending on the circumstances, it may happen frequently. Here's a clip I took when it occurred with mine:

https://streamable.com/suukeh

If it is the latter, the Sync 3 upgrade would definitely nip the whole mess in the bud. But can't confirm with the info we have. @kathi if you can go into more detail what specifically is happening, we can definitely narrow that down and give options.

On 6/26/2022 at 6:02 PM, Lepermag said:

Is it possible that the Ford Dealership would need to open up my vehicle (taking 36 hours to do so) in order to find out if my modem needs upgrading?  Don’t all 2017’s require the new modem/TCU for the FordPass experience?  

Correct. All C-Max and Fusion models (the latter ones even up to the 2020 model years!) were equipped with either 2G or 3G modems from the factory. None came with 4G stock. Unless you've gotten the upgrade done already or (highly unlikely but possible) recently bought the vehicle and the PO had it done sometime in the past 5-6 months, you -will- need the upgrade to use the full FordPass functionality*.

You can check Sync under the About Sync screen and there will be a modem ESN listed. Unfortunately, I don't recall the letter prefixes that indicate if it is 3G vs 4G. I'm pretty sure that's been mentioned somewhere here in this thread. Needless to say, barring the two situations above, highly likely you're going to need to get the upgrade done.

* Some functionality in FordPass is delivered via Bluetooth from Sync without the need for a working TCU including stuff like fuel/battery levels and oil life. However Ford is deprecating these and they may already be gone. At the stage that functionality is removed, a TCU will be required to see that information. Remote Start/Lock/Unlock via FordPass will always require a working TCU. There's no Bluetooth/Wifi method of communication for those features.

Edited by cr08

On 6/26/2022 at 7:41 PM, cr08 said:

You can check Sync under the About Sync screen and there will be a modem ESN listed. Unfortunately, I don't recall the letter prefixes that indicate if it is 3G vs 4G.

1st digit of "Onboard Modem Serial Number (ESN)":

U = 4G Modem

T = 3G Modem

N = 2G Modem (not relevant here but just for reference)

And just to echo @cr08 above, NO C-Max Energi, Fusion Energi or Ford Focus Electric (of any model year) ever came from the factory with a 4G modem. MyFordMobile only operated on 2G and 3G networks.

Hi all.

I have an US C-Max Energi in Europe. I bought and install a 4G modem "J" ("K" flashed to "J") from EU Ford Transit. My C-Max successfully activated and connected to FordPass. The FordPass app opens and closes my car, starts the engine, shows the odometer, gas and electric range, oil life. However, FordPass does not show the trip and battery history. There is also no charge setting and charge level notification. What could be the problem Need the right TCU configuration in Forscan? Can anyone show me the correct TCU configuration so that all FordPass for C-Max Energi functions work? Or maybe the problem is something else? Thanks.

On 7/2/2022 at 11:45 PM, MadAleX said:

Hi all.

I have an US C-Max Energi in Europe. I bought and install a 4G modem "J" ("K" flashed to "J") from EU Ford Transit. My C-Max successfully activated and connected to FordPass. The FordPass app opens and closes my car, starts the engine, shows the odometer, gas and electric range, oil life. However, FordPass does not show the trip and battery history. There is also no charge setting and charge level notification. What could be the problem Need the right TCU configuration in Forscan? Can anyone show me the correct TCU configuration so that all FordPass for C-Max Energi functions work? Or maybe the problem is something else? Thanks.

I had the same issue with a K flashed to J modem (in the USA). In the end I could not get the EV-specific functions to show up in FordPass with that modem. Once I switched to the H series modem, it showed up right away. So I think it may be that Ford is only showing the EV related functions if it detects that specific H-series TCU (since that is the one they are providing officially).

I would love to be wrong about that, so by all means keep trying to see if you can succeed where I could not. 

Edit: Also, EV trip data doesn't seem to be showing up for any/most of us--even people who had the modem swapped at a dealership. Hopefully that will change, but I have never seen any data there.

Edited by bookemdano

On 7/4/2022 at 12:06 AM, bookemdano said:

I had the same issue with a K flashed to J modem (in the USA). In the end I could not get the EV-specific functions to show up in FordPass with that modem. Once I switched to the H series modem, it showed up right away. So I think it may be that Ford is only showing the EV related functions if it detects that specific H-series TCU (since that is the one they are providing officially).

I would love to be wrong about that, so by all means keep trying to see if you can succeed where I could not. 

Edit: Also, EV trip data doesn't seem to be showing up for any/most of us--even people who had the modem swapped at a dealership. Hopefully that will change, but I have never seen any data there.

I wonder if it is possible to downgrade the K modem to the H modem?

On 7/3/2022 at 4:17 PM, MadAleX said:

I wonder if it is possible to downgrade the K modem to the H modem?

No. I tried that too, as did one other guy. Forscan errors out just prior to erasing the existing blocks, so at least it does not brick the modem.

H and J/K are similar hardware, but must be different enough that their firmware is not cross-compatible. 

Because it errors prior to flashing, it seems there is some safety/sanity check being performed. Maybe there is a way to bypass that and try force flashing the chip... I do not know. But even if it was possible I would think the risk of bricking the modem is high.

Are there any H TCUs available in the European market? They have been hard to find in the USA, I think because they weren't widely deployed to begin with. The only model I am aware came with the H TCU from the factory was the 2017 Escape (Titanium trim only). So maybe the Kuga in Europe?

Edited by bookemdano

On 04.07.2022 at 17:41, bookemdano said:

Нет. Я тоже так пробовал, как и еще один парень. Ошибки Forscan выдаются непосредственно перед стиранием существующих блоков, поэтому, по крайней мере, он не блокирует модем.

H и J/K — это похожее оборудование, но они должны быть достаточно разными, чтобы их микропрограммы не были совместимы друг с другом. 

Поскольку перед перепрошивкой возникают ошибки, кажется, что выполняется некоторая проверка безопасности / работоспособности. Может есть способ обойти это и попробовать принудительно прошить чип... Не знаю. Но даже если бы это было возможно, я бы подумал, что риск взлома модема высок.

Доступны ли H TCU на европейском рынке? Их было трудно найти в США, я думаю, потому, что они не были широко распространены с самого начала. Единственная модель, которую я знаю, поставлялась с H TCU с завода, была Escape 2017 года (только титановая отделка). Так может Куга в Европе?

I have not seen H TCUs for sale in EU.  I was told that there are such TCUs in EU, but they are very few and hard to find on sale.

I want to check if my J TCU configuration is correct in Forscan.  Can I use the H TCU configuration screenshot shown here before for this?  Or should I have a completely different configuration in my J TCU?  Help me someone in this matter please.

Guys, I’m gonna replace my 3G modem with 4G, the K-series modem. I own Fusion Energi 2016 and wonder if someone has GoTimes and all the battery-related functionality available in FordPass after retrofitting 4G TCU. I’ve learned from many forums that K-series modems should be downgraded to J-series, however in this case GoTimes and related functionality doesn’t work. Hope to get some help here. Thanks.

Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 14.35.07.png

On 7/7/2022 at 4:04 AM, JoSS said:

Guys, I’m gonna replace my 3G modem with 4G, the K-series modem. I own Fusion Energi 2016 and wonder if someone has GoTimes and all the battery-related functionality available in FordPass after retrofitting 4G TCU. I’ve learned from many forums that K-series modems should be downgraded to J-series, however in this case GoTimes and related functionality doesn’t work. Hope to get some help here. Thanks.

Screenshot 2022-07-06 at 14.35.07.png

Check out the posts right above yours. I tested a K->J modem extensively back in March and found no way whatsoever to get the PHEV/BEV-specific features working. It still mostly worked fine for locking/unlocking the doors and reporting other info (odometer, battery level, location, oil life) but Go Times and charge scheduling (the stuff that Ford specifically added for the Energis) does not work with a J or K->J TCU.

You need an "H" TCU. Once you get one, those features will show up straight away.

Edited by bookemdano

On 7/7/2022 at 5:47 PM, bookemdano said:

Check out the posts right above yours. I tested a K->J modem extensively back in March and found no way whatsoever to get the PHEV/BEV-specific features working. It still mostly worked fine for locking/unlocking the doors and reporting other info (odometer, battery level, location, oil life) but Go Times and charge scheduling (the stuff that Ford specifically added for the Energis) does not work with a J or K->J TCU.

You need an "H" TCU. Once you get one, those features will show up straight away.

Thanks. I've read the article above, however I'm not sure which way to go further. I really doubt H-series TCUs exist for EU market. So, there should be a solution for the EU market as well. Any thoughts on this?

Today I got a reply from F150Chief(from cyanlabs community), who states the following: 

'The “GoTimes” parameters are only in some K and L series TCU’s, but not all depending on vehicle support. They are not included in the J sereis TCU or firmware for the J seires TCU’s. So, in order to get the “GoTimes” parameters, you will need a higher end K or L series TCU. (There are lower end TCU packages introduced in 2020 for cost savings.) The K and L series require HS4-CAN.'

According to this, it seems to be a good idea to try retrofitting HS4CAN bus into my car and give it a go with K/L series modem. I wonder if anybody's already done this before and which K/L firmware is GoTimes capable. Thanks.

On 7/8/2022 at 12:50 AM, JoSS said:

Thanks. I've read the article above, however I'm not sure which way to go further. I really doubt H-series TCUs exist for EU market. So, there should be a solution for the EU market as well. Any thoughts on this?

Today I got a reply from F150Chief(from cyanlabs community), who states the following: 

'The “GoTimes” parameters are only in some K and L series TCU’s, but not all depending on vehicle support. They are not included in the J sereis TCU or firmware for the J seires TCU’s. So, in order to get the “GoTimes” parameters, you will need a higher end K or L series TCU. (There are lower end TCU packages introduced in 2020 for cost savings.) The K and L series require HS4-CAN.'

According to this, it seems to be a good idea to try retrofitting HS4CAN bus into my car and give it a go with K/L series modem. I wonder if anybody's already done this before and which K/L firmware is GoTimes capable. Thanks.

It's an interesting idea.

You might try to get in touch with this guy as I remembered back in March he was attempting to get HS4CAN in his Fusion Energi. Maybe it would be easier to contact him over at the Fusion forum. I'm not sure if he ever followed through and got it working, but you can search for his prior posts and maybe he can update you on any progress he has made since then. There will likely be some differences since his car is a Fusion (CGEA 1.3) vs. your C-Max (C1MCA), but maybe the overall process/parts are the same.

In any case, please update the thread if you are able to do that. Like you said, if there is no H TCU for the European market then I am not sure that any other easy option exists. Ford may not have considered it since the Energi models were only sold in (and intended for) the NA market.

I wish you good luck!

Edit: The only other idea I can think of would be if it was possible to obtain an H TCU from the USA and see if it's possible to transplant the cellular modem (which I assume uses an ESIM) from the K TCU to the H. I'm guessing that would require some precision soldering, and it may not even work. But it is an idea to consider maybe.

Edited by bookemdano

On 7/8/2022 at 4:58 PM, bookemdano said:

You might try to get in touch with this guy as I remembered back in March he was attempting to get HS4CAN in his Fusion Energi. Maybe it would be easier to contact him over at the Fusion forum. I'm not sure if he ever followed through and got it working, but you can search for his prior posts and maybe he can update you on any progress he has made since then. There will likely be some differences since his car is a Fusion (CGEA 1.3) vs. your C-Max (C1MCA), but maybe the overall process/parts are the same.

In any case, please update the thread if you are able to do that. Like you said, if there is no H TCU for the European market then I am not sure that any other easy option exists. Ford may not have considered it since the Energi models were only sold in (and intended for) the NA market.

I wish you good luck!

Edit: The only other idea I can think of would be if it was possible to obtain an H TCU from the USA and see if it's possible to transplant the cellular modem (which I assume uses an ESIM) from the K TCU to the H. I'm guessing that would require some precision soldering, and it may not even work. But it is an idea to consider maybe.

Thanks! I already tried to contact that guy, for some reason he doesn't want to share the details, but he had to buy another modem which is HS3CAN capable. So, he didn't manage to retrofit HS4CAN into his Fusion.

The idea to transmit the cellular modem might work, but it's a bit complicated and I'm not sure I will handle that. Still, my guess, the only way out here is to retrofit HS4CAN bus and see how it works with K/L series modems. 

On 7/8/2022 at 4:58 PM, bookemdano said:

I wish you good luck!

Perhaps you will be surprised, but Ford C-MAX was also officially sold in EU. Perhaps these cars were produced in EU. I know the owner of such a purely European C-MAX Energi in the Netherlands. Unfortunately EU Ford dealers are not aware of the installation of a FordPass TCU in our C-Max Energi.  Therefore, EU owners of Energi have to independently solve problems with connecting their cars to FordPass and look for answers to questions, including on this forum.

As for the upgrade from HS3 to HS4. US H TCUs works on HS3, so it should be possible to get full FordPass functionality on EU TCUs designed for HS3?

Edited by MadAleX

On 7/8/2022 at 5:54 PM, JoSS said:

Thanks! I already tried to contact that guy, for some reason he doesn't want to share the details, but he had to buy another modem which is HS3CAN capable. So, he didn't manage to retrofit HS4CAN into his Fusion.

The idea to transmit the cellular modem might work, but it's a bit complicated and I'm not sure I will handle that. Still, my guess, the only way out here is to retrofit HS4CAN bus and see how it works with K/L series modems. 

I heard a story somewhere in Poland where a man successfully installed a TCU and GWM kit from the latest EU Kuga PHEV in a US Ford Fusion Energi and supposedly FordPass was fully functional.

I wonder if this is possible with C-MAX Energi? ?

And if you try to install only one module GWM from Ford Fusion 2020+, then it is theoretically possible to get HS4?

On 7/9/2022 at 5:57 PM, MadAleX said:

Perhaps you will be surprised, but Ford C-MAX was also officially sold in EU. Perhaps these cars were produced in EU. I know the owner of such a purely European C-MAX Energi in the Netherlands.  He has a Type-2 charging port in his car, which is only found in EU EVs.  Unfortunately EU Ford dealers are not aware of the installation of a FordPass TCU in our C-Max Energi.  Therefore, EU owners of Energi have to independently solve problems with connecting their cars to FordPass and look for answers to questions, including on this forum.

As for the upgrade from HS3 to HS4. US H TCUs works on HS3, so it should be possible to get full FordPass functionality on EU TCUs designed for HS3?

Interesting. My understanding is that all European C-Maxes had petrol or Diesel engines. Not doubting you, but maybe the guy in the Netherlands got a prototype or some sort of special modification? Anyway, if you can find more information about European C-Max Hybrid/Energi models I would like to read them.

Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of HS3/HS4. The "J" TCUs all communicate via HS3 and they will not show the PHEV charging settings in FordPass.

I really hope you guys can figure out a solution!

BTW: I think the guy you mentioned in Poland with the Fusion Energi is the same guy I was talking about in this post.

Edited by bookemdano

Ok, guys, good news. One of my friends confirmed, that the firmware above works fine with Energi cars and K/J series modems. To make it work he had to copy Asbuilt from Ford Kuga Energi to his TCU and in a couple of days GoTimes and all battery-related features started to work fine. I'm waiting for him to share the VIN code of the mentioned Kuga to check the config. By the way, he's running 2013 Fusion Energi car.

IMAGE 2022-07-10 17:47:33.jpg

On 7/10/2022 at 5:47 PM, JoSS said:

Ok, guys, good news. One of my friends confirmed, that the firmware above works fine with Energi cars and K/J series modems. To make it work he had to copy Asbuilt from Ford Kuga Energi to his TCU and in a couple of days GoTimes and all battery-related features started to work fine. I'm waiting for him to share the VIN code of the mentioned Kuga to check the config. By the way, he's running 2013 Fusion Energi car.

A new hope... ?

But seriously, our entire EU Energi community is looking forward to this important event, which will make us the happiest owners of this beautiful car!

I hope that you will share the information with all of us immediately when you have it. ?

On 7/10/2022 at 5:11 AM, bookemdano said:

Interesting. My understanding is that all European C-Maxes had petrol or Diesel engines. Not doubting you, but maybe the guy in the Netherlands got a prototype or some sort of special modification? Anyway, if you can find more information about European C-Max Hybrid/Energi models I would like to read them.

Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of HS3/HS4. The "J" TCUs all communicate via HS3 and they will not show the PHEV charging settings in FordPass.

I really hope you guys can figure out a solution!

BTW: I think the guy you mentioned in Poland with the Fusion Energi is the same guy I was talking about in this post.

As for purely EU C-Max Energi.

Here is a part of the VIN code of my friend's C-Max Energi from the Netherlands, in which you can decipher the original belonging of this car to EU - WF0DP5CU4FLXXXXXX.

Also here is a link to a site with car sales ads in the Netherlands, where you can see that a purely EU C-Max Energi is not such a rare specimen - https://www.marktplaats.nl/l/auto-s/ford/f/c-max+hybride/793+11810/

Edited by MadAleX

On 7/10/2022 at 9:47 AM, JoSS said:

Wait, Kuga Energi? If I google "Ford Kuga Energi" I get three results, two pointing to a press release back in 2017 where Ford trademarked that name and the third result is this post of yours. Can you clarify what vehicle you're talking about?

Also, the screenshot posted is exactly how my FordPass app looked when I had the K (flashed to J) TCU connected in my 2017 C-Max. There was always a "Charge Settings" button in the Charging section of the app, but the options inside it did not function. Here's a screenshot I saved of the "Charge Settings" screen. I think that is intended for newer EVs like the MachE:

fordpasscharge-2.thumb.jpg.4ad11ba629b43311237f0e9aff3322f4.jpg

With the H TCU, the "Charge Settings" button shows a screen that looks like this:

hchargesettings.thumb.jpg.1f50221938afbe358cabfb75508f8538.jpg

Furthermore, in the Charging section there are other buttons for "Charge Level Notification", "Charge Logs" and "My EV driving":

hdashboard.thumb.jpg.5e8727a5cfcfa9cc856998d2197f3ea5.jpg

Maybe Ford has/will make changes to allow a J (or K->J) TCU work fully with the Energis, but the screenshot you posted doesn't look any different from when I tried this back in March. 

Edited by bookemdano