2014-2017 C-Max Energi 3G to 4G modem update

cr08

On 7/20/2023 at 9:31 AM, cr08 said:

What was your TCU part #? I'm not aware of any compatible ones from the F-150.

I used a JL3T-14G229-AH, based on this forum https://lincolnmkxforum.com/topic/3662-4g-modem-replacement/?page=2 and on the fact that in the original 21B09 the same kit was used for the MKX and the C-Max. Here's my AsBuilt info, I used this database to set the values: https://cyanlabs.net/asbuilt-db/tcu/. Thanks!

image.thumb.png.61d2542606eb36e2974c64cd293ea091.png

Only the H TCU's are compatible with the C-Max. The J may work in some capacity, but no guarantees. Others have tried in the past and have been unsuccessful. I think remote start was one of the features found to be inoperative. There may be more. At the very least, it will absolutely not be possible to retain the Value Charge/Go Times features with this. For those features an updated calibration/firmware is needed that's only available for the H models.

The AsBuilt looks correct though. Only thing to confirm is what type of Sync system do you have and adjusting that 9842 as necessary. You're indicating this is a Sync 1 equipped vehicle which would be the 4" non-touch version. If it's Sync 3 (the 8" touch version for 2017 model years), that should be a B.

Lastly I assume you have done the whole factory mode/activation process?

Edited by cr08

Lock, unlock and most importantly, remote start work just fine with the J. I have an SE with the Sync1, so that 9 is correct. And yes, I did the factory mode/activation.

I noticed though this screenshot from a previous post shows the 754-02-01 as 00A0, I have set it to 0600 to enable the HEV/PHEV and vehicle monitoring. Not sure what exactly the Ford OTA and transmission of rolling code does what the A0 enables.

Anyway, just to confirm: the charge details/sessions in the FordPass app should work after a factory 4G update, right?

On 7/21/2023 at 1:20 PM, pvaiko said:

Anyway, just to confirm: the charge details/sessions in the FordPass app should work after a factory 4G update, right?

They should, yes. At the very least the charge session screen and notifications will. Features that have been hit or miss for some even on the H units ends up being the EV Trip Data screen mainly. For those that it doesn't work for it will just say there's no trip data in the past 30 days.

As far as the 754-02-01 line, I think some of us who have toyed with this haven't seen much of a difference on these. Mine's currently set to 1EA0 but I've also had it on 00E0 in the past.

As far as any continued comments on the J units, I'll leave that to others who have tried those. I have not and my info is second hand based on their information. Officially the 21B09 bulletin shows only H units being supplied to applicable vehicles. And those are the only ones known to have the necessary firmware/calibration to allow the Value Charge/Go Times features to function at the very least. This also impacts being able to set those via Sync (though I don't know if Sync 1 has those menus to set?), not just FordPass. Looks like @JoSS had posted their attempts at this a couple pages back.

Edited by cr08

• 3 weeks later...

I never got the message but my FordPass app (iOS) is really pretty gimped now.

On the "Vehicle" tab it just shows the "Vehicle Status" and "Scheduled Start" buttons underneath the battery and fuel gauge, and then a "Status" section with "Tire Pressure Monitoring" and "Oil Life".

That's it.

Prior to this update, I used to get a blue bar across the screen whenever the car was plugged in, which was helpful at a glance so I could double-check that I had remembered to plug it in. That's gone now, and the only way I can see if it's plugged in is to look below the battery gauge on the Vehicle tab for the lightning bolt icon. 

There's no more estimated charge completion time (which, to be fair wasn't very accurate anyway, but still).

This is Ford throwing in the towel, I guess. They couldn't make any of the extra stuff work reliably so they just gave up and removed it. What's left is very bare bones, but at least I can still keep an eye on the battery charge progress and lock/unlock/remote start. Still, it's pretty disappointing after the MFM experience, which was fantastic overall.

Not sure if this was a server-side change or if it was an app update. Are android users seeing the same thing?

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to post a small thing here:

I had recently discovered that the FordPass integration for Home Assistant had some VERY useful tools for digging deep into what data Ford has on our vehicles, even stuff that is not surfaced in the app. Doing some messing around with it, there's a TON of useful stuff there. One of which is basically all the trip data we used to have including total trip distance, EV miles, brake score, MPG/MPGe, fuel used, etc.. There's also some other real odd info such as coolant and ambient temp, vehicle and engine speed, transmission torque info, etc.. Some of this is surfaced in HA currently but most of it is not. I've been successfully testing some of this on my 2013 and have gotten some fun data out of it.

Issue I posted in the fordpass-ha Github repo starting the discussion on this stuff including some sample data pulled from my own C-Max: https://github.com/itchannel/fordpass-ha/issues/452

For those technically inclined, I have forked the integration and did some work to make it standalone and thus not requiring HA to operate. There's also some docs I added detailing some of the different data points produced from Ford's API. Use it at your own risk of course. The main branch is basically my WIP dev branch and could break at any time. Also Ford is generally not happy with frequent polling of their API and will lock your account if you abuse it or any time they deem fit. Currently across the community using this stuff the recommended minimum polling interval is 15 minutes. A good recommendation is to set up a separate FordPass account for this from your primary and set it up as an authorized user for your VIN.

https://github.com/cr08/fordpass-ha

One thing I'd definitely like to do is build a web dashboard with all the trip data. No ETA but I'm working on this as I go. I need to experiment more and get more data after various trips to get a good idea what's reported and when.

Edited by cr08

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2013 ford c-max and I just ordered an upgrade for my sync 2 to the sync 3 from ebay. I am wondering about the modem upgrade and I see some part numbers on fords part site. there seems to be 2 parts.

transceiver - part #: GM5Z14G229BF

control mobile phone - part #: DM5Z19K350C

which part needs to be upgraded? both parts seem to be around $300+

• 2 months later...

One more small update. Looks like we have confirmation on what the latest calibration is on these modems. Had a user post a screenshot from FJDS over on the CyanLabs' forum and looks like UP is the latest calibration level which I know some of us are already on. Although now with a lot of EV functions being removed for us, it's not as big of a deal as it once was.

https://community.cyanlabs.net/t/tcu-waiting-for-home-url/13279/16

IMG_4109