Before ya come down on Ford too hard for defects....

kinetic1

We were just laughing about that yesterday, I used to own a 2006 Lexus IS and lost count of all the recalls. Seemed like almost everything on the car was recalled from camshafts, outside mirrors, inside mirrors, brakes, fuel pumps and more rattles than my 2001 Mustang GT ever had.

One of the reasons I went from Lexus to VW, I figure that if its going be in the shop at least it should be fun to drive while its not. Ironically had less problems with the VW and far few fewer with my C-Max for as many months of ownership.

Before purchasing my C-Max I laughingly suggested to the rest of the family that we consider another Toyota product the quote was "Barf".

Edited by darrelld

Toyota "quality" is one of the greatest scams propagated on the public in the history of automobiles.

I have no loyalty to Ford (yet) and everyone loves to rant about how terrible VWs are yet I have had three problem free high mileage VWs.

I used to be a real Chevy guy but have had mixed results with GM products, and I have had mixed results with a couple Mopar products as well.

I think any more when buying new I don't worry - and when buying used I look for the well established vehicles with available parts and mechanic expertise.

This sounds like a great beer drinking topic :rockon: 

Some cars are good and some are lemon and imo, no one manufacturer has the title to quality. My personal experience with Toyota was my 98 Camry. It nearly caught fire when a light inside the rear brake light unit on the shevling burnt what looks like a bullet hole in the plastic - smelt something burning and caught it just time. Then the tranny gave me issues and then the seals in the cylinders started to go, black smoke et all and this car was at 160K miles, fairly young for a 98. My 04 Jaguar XJ8 had more time in the shop than actual driving, it was a lemon but boy did Galpin and Jaguar really took care of us. So far so good with Max, rock solid interior - nothing falling apart aside from that stupid panel near my foot (which has hung on since I posted that thread...maybe someone did some voodoo there for me ;) ). 

Interesting topic - I have had new cars from domestic and import manufacturers with varying levels of quality issues.

I traded an 08 Hyundai Santa Fe (yes a Hyundai and quality in the same sentence) and after 5 years, the only major repair was for an a/c refrigerant leak.  The car has had a heat-shield type rattle since new, which at least 7 attempts were made to fix.....and it went to the trade in pool with that same rattle.  Major mechanicals were solid.

My last GM car swore me off of another purchase, and the last Toyota (80's vintage) with leaking cam tower gaskets (yow, expensive if not under warranty) made me lose faith in their engine quality.

My last Ford was in the early 90s, so the C-Max was a leap of faith.  So far, so good, time will tell.....

Currently sitting at a Ford dealer while my car is being torn apart for an electrical fault/failure.. According to the service department it's a safety issue.. The hybrid battery could "zap" first responders if I were to have a wreck.. An air bag/wiper issue doesn't sound that bad right now.

Currently sitting at a Ford dealer while my car is being torn apart for an electrical fault/failure.. According to the service department it's a safety issue.. The hybrid battery could "zap" first responders if I were to have a wreck.. An air bag/wiper issue doesn't sound that bad right now.

Sorry to hear about your problem but an air bag unexpected exploding in your face would be far worse especially at highway speeds or when you are merging into a busy freeway.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to hear about your problem but an air bag unexpected exploding in your face would be far worse especially at highway speeds or when you are merging into a busy freeway.

By far the worst would be to have both: Airbag deploys unexpectedly, then when the paramedics try to take you to the hospital they get zapped by the battery… 

Just a wee bit morbid at the moment. 

Edited by Noah Harbinger

1996 Ford F150 with 130,000+ miles.  Has had zero problems and the only maintenance has been the scheduled items as outlined in the owners manual.  Looks/runs almost as good as new. Prior F150 had a similar history in its 100,000 miles.

C-Max (build date 3/13) with 5800 miles has had none of the problems I have seen here. So far perfect.  Well..almost...I can sometimes make the guide lines disappear from the rearview camera if I put it in reverse before the display has booted up.

So....long story short.  My Fords have been damn good.  I cant say that about my wife's Honda Odyssey we got rid of for the C-Max, but that's another story.