Ford c-max 2013

wat

I recently purchased a form c-max 2013.

The cars's hybrid system sometimes wont charge sometimes.

When the car lose the hybrid battery power, transmission would not shift well.

Sometimes, it wont go up more than 60, or 40 mph.

I took the car to the dealer to get checked.

However, they said they cannot address the issue.

I do not know what to do now.

please help me.

I would like to know what can I do next and what would be an issue for tha car.

I hope I can hear from you guys soonn.

Thank you

Edited by wat

On 5/9/2022 at 12:32 PM, jzchen said:

Best to have the car scanned via OBD2 for codes.  Then post the codes here for more detailed help.

This. If the car is not behaving right and there is something legitimately wrong, it should have codes stored and is the only way we can really give proper advice. Is your Check Engine Light or Wrench light lit when this happens? Even if not, still a good idea to get it scanned for any. Not all codes will trigger these lights on the dash depending on the severity.

The only remote case where I can and have seen it act similar to this in a legitimate fashion is long uphill climbs. Road tripping and driving up the steep grades of I-70 through Colorado it would happily deplete the battery down to low levels and stay there and rely 100% on the ICE for propulsion and due to the behavior of the CVT, it does wind out the ICE to high RPMs to maintain momentum at those steep grades and speeds.

That's another thing to consider as well if you aren't familiar with CVTs is there are no gears to shift and it'll adjust what RPM the ICE will run at on the fly depending on what's needed in that moment. In some cases such as the above scenario, it is not unexpected to feel like the ICE is running really fast and the transmission isn't 'shifting' into the appropriate gear. My cousin just recently bought an ICE only Kia Celtos with a CVT and on a recent trip to West Virginia it behaved similarly on some highway inclines where it'd easily wind out the ICE on the climbs.

Edited by cr08

There was no code on OBD2.

I do not wanna pay another $340 for get diagnosed again.  

So, I messaged to ford online yesterday.

They working with dealer on this case.

Hopefully , they can find out what wrong w this car.

Edited by wat

Where are you driving when this happens?  Is it a big steep mountain?

How many mi on the car?  Has the oil been changed recently?  Gasoline used, meaning brand and grade?

If there are no codes it may be functioning fine just a specific road condition like steep uphill?

On 5/10/2022 at 10:45 AM, wat said:

Car has 160kmile on it.

It happened during daily drive. 

Not up hill or any other condition.

Just taking some guesses here based on the information you've given: If there's no CEL or Wrench Light and your OBD Scanner isn't pulling any codes, it is likely something normal and just something you may not be used to. Especially if you haven't driven a CVT equipped vehicle before. I'd imagine if it was serious enough such as it being -unable- to charge the HVB, it would set a serious enough code to light up on the dash and report a code visible to even a basic code scanner. Isn't to say something isn't there. It's possible it could be something less serious and stored as a more Ford specific code that a generic OBD scanner won't see if that's what you're using.

This is one reason why I recommend any C-Max owners pick up a dirt cheap Bluetooth OBD dongle and get familiar with the ForScan app. For the price of around $10-$15 for one of those dongles and free  for the app, it'll pull up not only any Ford specific DTCs but also provides other useful diagnostic tools.

Keeping safety in mind of course, if there's any possible way you can get a video recording (even if briefly) of what is occurring, I think that may be the only way to get a better idea what's going on. Other than that, we can only really make guesses.

Edited by cr08

Hi, as the owner of a 2013 SEL, I have had a like event with my car. Turned out I was driving in 'L' instead of 'D'. I've probably more than I care to admit to but most of my driving is to city speeds [<40mph]. IMO, The car may be too easy to shift into gear compared to other cars I have driven. If this is a repeat event, you may want to have someone look at the AT linkage. Admit this only a guess. Another point, at 160k the C-Max is past the suggested mileage for an AT fluid & filter change. May want to touch base with previous owner. Hopes this helps but again just a couple of guesses. Thanks for the read.

Ford.com wont do anything. 

I was not driving L when it happened.

Transmission works fine when Hybrid battery has charged.

So, I don think its transmission issue.

I wa s hecking online ,but cannot find anything closer.

Delaer recommend me to replace battery junnction box.

it costs me $1300. 

Do you guys think I can trust dealer??

They cannot even address the issue 

On 5/12/2022 at 3:47 PM, wat said:

Ford.com wont do anything. 

I was not driving L when it happened.

Transmission works fine when Hybrid battery has charged.

So, I don think its transmission issue.

I wa s hecking online ,but cannot find anything closer.

Delaer recommend me to replace battery junnction box.

it costs me $1300. 

Do you guys think I can trust dealer??

They cannot even address the issue 

$1300 to throw a part at the problem with the dealer basically giving you no idea what the problem was to begin with sounds sketch to me. If anything, I'd get a second opinion from another dealer. Specifically an EV certified one. Ford's dealer search tool on their website has an advanced search option to filter for this.

As far as those of us here on the forum, we can really only make wild guesses with the information given so far. My personal two best educated guesses are a) It is behaving normally and is just in a situation that you are not used to or b) There is something legitimate going on and it may be a deeper code than a generic code scanner will reveal.

Is it at all possible you can provide any further details what is going on when this happens? The more detail the better.

Does this happen whenever you've already been driving a bit and it has already cycled the battery charge up and down a bit normally? Or after the car has been sitting?

You mentioned 'not charging' the HVB. Does it appear like the charge level in the dash is really low with the up arrow visible like it is trying to charge? Does the engine run constantly in this case and feel like it may be laboring hard hence your concern about 'shifting properly'?

Do you have EV+ enabled and does this possibly occur after sitting with the previous arrival being in EV+?

Any more details above and beyond this will help us help you.

You didn't mention what OBD tool you had used earlier, but if you have the option I'd highly recommend what I mentioned prior as far as getting a dirt cheap Bluetooth OBD adapter and checking out the ForScan app just to rule out if there are any Ford specific codes stored. If your dealer is jerking you around like this and seems like they have no clue what to do with this hybrid vehicle, this could also benefit you down the road to do more diagnosing yourself.

• 1 year later...