Battery Issue?

Time

Hey folks,

First time posting on here.  I have a 2014 C-Max hybrid and a couple weeks ago, I went to turn on the car, and nothing started.  I tried a couple things, and amazingly, I was able to get the car going again.  After that, the car had been able to start up, no problem.  I had some problems with the trunk opening, and had to do that manually, but other than that, everything seemed fine till today, where I had the same problem again, nothing worked (except the 12v cigarette outlet).  Did the same tricks again, and got it to work.  At this point, I'm guessing it's the 12v battery that might be the issue, but was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue like this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Welcome, and I like your guess. Have you looked at it to see if it's ever been replaced?

There is a simple test... turn on the radio, turn off the car and wait without opening the door. Time how long the radio plays. A good 12v battery will get you 10 min. A poor one, more like 2 min. 

Best of luck! You'll find lots here; try a search!

Thanks fbov.

Just checked the car and did the test.  The radio played for, drum roll please..... 10 seconds.  Lol, I think it's pretty safe to say that the 12v battery is gone.  And I believe this is the original one.  Looked at previous records, and I didn't see any mention of a 12v battery being replaced.

On 6/11/2022 at 11:46 AM, SnowStorm said:

There is a 12v battery age parameter stored in the car.  Make sure it gets reset to zero when the new battery goes in or it won't get charged properly.

How do I do that?  Do I need an OBD2 device?

On 6/12/2022 at 10:53 AM, Bill-N said:

Procedure is outlined in the owners manual.  Also search the forum for battery reset.  No special tools are required.

My apology; I'm wrong on both counts.  The procedure is not in the owners manual and an OBD device along with forscan is needed to reset the 12V battery monitor.  

On 6/13/2022 at 12:44 PM, Bill-N said:

My apology; I'm wrong on both counts.  The procedure is not in the owners manual and an OBD device along with forscan is needed to reset the 12V battery monitor.  

Any suggestions about which type of OBD device to get?

On 6/14/2022 at 7:29 AM, SnowStorm said:

Forscan is the software to use - go to their site for recommended adapters.

Here are the instructions for resetting it from the driver's seat.  I guess you should still use Forscan to verify it was reset.  Of course if a dealer replaces the battery, they should do the reset - just make sure they do it.

Ah, perfect.  Thank you!