Recall 22S43: Transmission Shifter Cable Bushing - All C-Max models affected

Ford just dropped this massive recall, including all domestic C-Max Energi/Hybrids (2013-2018).

You can look up your VIN on Ford's web site or nhtsa.gov and confirm this recall is listed (it was for me as of this morning).

Parts are not available yet. When they are Ford will proactively contact customers to schedule the repair. Parts are expected in the 4th quarter of this year.

Here's the text:

Jun 10,2022
Manufacturer Recall Number22S43
NHTSA Recall Number#awaiting
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete, remedy not yet available

Summary
ON YOUR VEHICLE, IT MAY BE POSSIBLE THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTER CABLE BUSHING IS DAMAGED OR MISSING.

Safety Risk
A DAMAGED OR MISSING BUSHING COULD PREVENT THE SHIFTER FROM MOVING THE TRANSMISSION INTO THE INTENDED GEAR
POSITION AND CAUSE THE VEHICLE TO MOVE IN AN UNEXPECTED DIRECTION. THE TRANSMISSION MAY NOT BE IN THE PARK
POSITION, EVEN THOUGH THE SHIFTER POSITION INDICATES THAT THE VEHICLE WAS SHIFTED TO PARK. EXITING A VEHICLE 
WITHOUT THE TRANSMISSION IN THE PARK POSITION AND WITHOUT APPLICATION OF THE PARKING BRAKE MAY ALLOW THE 
VEHICLE TO ROLL, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY OR CRASH.

Remedy
FORD MOTOR COMPANY IS WORKING CLOSELY WITH ITS SUPPLIERS TO PRODUCE PARTS FOR THIS REPAIR. WHEN PARTS BECOME
AVAILABLE, FORD MOTOR COMPANY WILL NOTIFY YOU VIA MAIL TO SCHEDULE A SERVICE APPOINTMENT WITH YOUR DEALER FOR
REPAIRS TO BE COMPLETED FREE OF CHARGE PARTS AND LABOR. PARTS ARE ANTICIPATED TO BE AVAILABLE 4TH QTR 2022.

and here's the first page of a dealer letter about it (shamelessly copied from a post at fordedgeforum.com):

1981828715_SafetyRecall22S43-AdvanceNoticetoDealers-PartialLetter.jpg.96ffd02a145cc40f6c3b4ca28c7405a3.thumb.jpg.9858f296f231982ae3fc811aa57051ef.jpg

Edited by bookemdano

I had posted this in one of the FB C-Max groups, but probably a good reminder for everyone to check your parking brake and ensure it properly engages and holds the vehicle still. It's not unheard of for the parking brake cable to wear or loosen over time and not fully engage as a result.

• 4 months later...

I've got a 2018 c-max hybrid and I thought I would check out the condition of the shifter bushing.  I didn't find any online videos for the c-max.  Based on videos for other ford models subject to the recall,  it seemed like removing the airbox might let me check it out.  I can't see it.  Where is the lever/bushing on a c-max?

Ed

On 11/7/2022 at 8:26 AM, emcdonnell said:

I've got a 2018 c-max hybrid and I thought I would check out the condition of the shifter bushing.  I didn't find any online videos for the c-max.  Based on videos for other ford models subject to the recall,  it seemed like removing the airbox might let me check it out.  I can't see it.  Where is the lever/bushing on a c-max?

Ed

cr08 - Thank you.  Guess I need to improve my forum search skills as well as my engine part search skills.  I took the opportunity to change the ari filter while I had the air box out so at least I feel better about the time I invested this morning.  Taking it to the dealer on Thursday, so I'll be able to check and see if they actually do anything.  Again, thanks for the help.

Ed

On 11/10/2022 at 3:45 AM, nogoodbum said:

Anyone who has this recall repair done please post results, [time in shop, delay or not in appointment, how long did it take?, & basically any feedback good or bad. THANKS

The only thing I can comment on is the supposed real world time for this, not counting for scheduling delays or other issues. But a few anecdotes on the FB C-Max groups as well as a tech on the Cyanlabs Discord have mentioned it only taking like 15-20 minutes tops to do. Doesn't seem like a long or difficult process.

The big gotcha these days is finding a dealer who can schedule it earlier than <x> months out and not gonna hold it for multiple days.

Edited by cr08

Got my letter regarding the recall part being available so I called my Ford service department to schedule the repair. If anyone has any info on how long this should or does take, I would appreciate it. 

What I was told is the appointment I scheduled is just to bring the car in so a Tech can look at it and determine how long this will take. When I asked how long this service requires, the CSR said 3 days...but the Tech will tell me.  An earlier post in this forum said it's a 15 to 20 minute repair. Does anyone have any idea? I would love to know before I take my car Friday AM. 

?Update - Friday, November 11

Took my C-Max Hybrid in for the recall service this morning.  The service took less than two hours. I was in and out really in about an hour and ten minutes.  

Edited by Snora

• 2 weeks later...