P2185 Error code. Where is the ECT Sensor

2013 SEL Hybrid. Manufactured 3/2013 Just want to know exactly where the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 2 Circuit High is located. Is it on the firewall to the heater core? On the block by the coil packs? Down by the thermostat underneath the engine? No, it's not an Energi model. Thank you.

On 7/25/2022 at 1:47 PM, Gator said:

Evidently there is no ECT Sensor for my vehicle. I'll assume it's the Thermostat. Replace it & re-scan ?

On our vehicles (both Hybrid and Energi models) they have two coolant temp sources. First is inferring from a cylinder head temp (CHT) sensor that sits flush to the head of the engine normally between the middle coil packs. This is common across many Ford vehicles. With the C-Max, there's a separate TRUE coolant temp sensor, ECT2 in this case. Took me a while to find specifics in the workshop manual, but I've attached a PDF below where it details the location, removal, and reinstallation. This also matches component diagrams elsewhere in the workshop manual that show the ECT2 feeding off the harness in this exact area.

This best I can tell is specific to the hybrid model. I THINK for the Energi models this sensor moves and is part of the PTC/electric heat coolant loop so it can monitor that temperature for the HVAC system. I'll dig into my workshop manual a bit further and include that info just for completeness sake here.

2013_CMAX_ECT2_workshop.pdf

Edited by cr08

1 mark wiper positions 

2 remove wiper arms 15 mm 

3 remove cowl 4 screws with torques bit. Start at corner at windshield and pry up cowl with your fingers. 
4 remove cowl holding plate. 10mm and 2 torques screws (hint remove after removing engine cover. Leaving this loose makes it easier to remove engine cover) 
5 remove engine cover 7mm 8mm (YouTube it if unsure of this step’s procedure)

6 locate ECT Sensor (back side of engine passenger side. 
7 place shop rags under sensor. Carefully pry up clip holding it so it doesn’t fall into the abis. Note it’s position. It slides back in very easily when correctly done so. 
8 remove sensor by pulling 

9 reverse order to put everything back together (I put a dab of plumber’s silicone on O-ring to make it slide in easily. A dab of dish detergent will work also.) 

0B591C3E-D7E4-472A-BE84-0BA8EE5F2757.jpeg

32C37891-C880-4811-980E-A8B561C1B072.jpeg

5A48685D-A5DD-41A2-AFC4-655E8A26675F.jpeg

1 mark wiper positions 

2 remove wiper arms 15 mm 

3 remove cowl 4 screws with torques bit. Start at corner at windshield and pry up cowl with your fingers. 
4 remove cowl holding plate. 10mm and 2 torques screws (hint remove after removing engine cover. Leaving this loose makes it easier to remove engine cover) 
5 remove engine cover 7mm 8mm (YouTube it if unsure of this step’s procedure)

6 locate ECT Sensor (back side of engine passenger side. 
7 place shop rags under sensor. Carefully pry up clip holding it so it doesn’t fall into the abis. Note it’s position. It slides back in very easily when correctly done so. 
8 remove sensor by pulling 

9 reverse order to put everything back together (I put a dab of plumber’s silicone on O-ring to make it slide in easily. A dab of dish detergent will work also.) 

Note: I also replaced air filter while engine cover was off.