For those who have had 12v Battery problems

zhackwyatt

Only if you have had 12v Battery Problems...  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What package do you have?

2. 2. What month was your car born?

3. 3. What was the resolution (final fix)?

• Replaced 12v Battery
    • Tailgate problems
    • Replaced frayed wires
    • Replaced module in car (i.e. power drain)
    • Melted fuse box
    • Don't know yet...
    • Instrument Panel Replaced
    • Replaced Car
    • Software update

Back again. Yesterday (14 Dec. 2013) I received a notice from Ford entitled: "Customer Satisfaction Program 13B12".

It says the issue is the 12 volt dead battery. It says to contact my dealer &: "the dealer will check the 12V battery ...& replace it if necessary. Also, your dealer will reprogram the Multifunction Display computer to correct the battery discharge condition". 

The problem is described to be that an electronic module fails to transition to "sleep" state. Instead, the module stays in "awake" mode and keeps other vehicle modules in "awake" mode. This can significantly increase the current drain on the (12V) battery. (My words): The result  is the 12v battery will discharge and may prevent the engine from starting.

I plan to call my dealer on 16 Dec. re this.

Any comments???

• 3 months later...

I had the three recalls (powertrain, headliner, and shutdown all component so not to drain 12V battery) done at 20,500miles.  It is now about 21,680miles, and this morning, I had to jumpstarted again and this is the 3rd time.  The car had no light, no responding to open button on the key just like the first two time.  The 1st and 2nd times occurred when the car was about 3,000 and a little less than 6,000miles.  I had the battery replaced around 8,000miles (before those 3 recalls).  And now it seems to repeat again.  The first two times, I got the message like "...limit speed to 80MPH", and had to turn off and on a few times before that message disappeared.  This 3rd time, there is no message but also the radio, fan, panel view settings were changed to something else. 

Also, the clock was at 1:20, but I did not try to use the car until around 10am this morning.

Something is really wrong to 2013 hybrid models.  Mine was from September 2012.

I had the three recalls (powertrain, headliner, and shutdown all component so not to drain 12V battery) done at 20,500miles.  It is now about 21,680miles, and this morning, I had to jumpstarted again and this is the 3rd time.  ...

mxanotcar,

I reached out to you on another thread, but I just wanted to reiterate my offer to help. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info; I'll look into this for you.

Ashley

• 1 month later...

2013 Ruby Red C Max Hybrid been driving over one year in Massachusetts with no starting problems.   Last Friday (April 25th, 2014) I went in for the latest reprogram stated to turn off itme in car and wham, Sunday my C Max would not start.   Car was totally dead, no dome light, no instrument cluster, no door locks, couldn't even shift to neutral for the jump....I did not know about this posting but felt like a dead battery.   I jumped the car with a friend and since then has worked fine but going in Saturday with your poll.  

I didn't realize there is an actual 12V battery to start the vehicle, my battery gauge showed 80%, it is crazy they cannot use this to start car in emergency.  Also, not user friendly that the shift level will not allow you to shift into neutral.  

jes_ma, the 12V battery does not crank the engine. The HVB cranks the engine via MG1 (motor / generator 1) and is like a "starter" motor found in non-hybrid cars for ICE. When ICE is running MG1 can be used as a generator to charge the HVB.   The 12V battery is needed to power the control modules (like in a non-hybrid car) so that high voltage from the HVB can be supplied to MG1 via an inverter .  So, both the 12V and the HVB are needed to start the car.  If the 12V battery dies, the control modules won't work that operate the high voltage system and all other electronics / accessories in the car.  So, it's likely not practicable to put a secondary 12V battery and necessary controls to switch in should the primary 12V battery fail. 

I carry my set of jumper cables in the compartment under the driver's seat as a hedge against being stranded with a dead battery.  Some have purchased a portable "jump start" system. 

Also, the owner's manual shows the procedure to use to move the shift lever out of park to neutral for an electrical problem like a dead battery.

After the 4th battery I'm pursuing the Lemon Law route. I'm tired of screwing around with manufacturers errors. Over a year and no solution? 

It sounds like some people have had solutions to their battery problems. There are several things to look for, have you PM Ashley our Ford Rep.? :)

Paul

After the 4th battery I'm pursuing the Lemon Law route. I'm tired of screwing around with manufacturers errors. Over a year and no solution? 

Do you have an SE or SEL ?  The problem in the past has been more with the SE.

• 3 weeks later...

Wife went to use her CMax and it was dead.  2013 SE base model.  Awaiting tow to dealer.  The car was purchased Oct 2013.  This is only her second replacement battery.  My Fusion has been through three since late Dec 2013.  Both our Fords are unreliable.

Wife went to use her CMax and it was dead.  2013 SE base model.  Awaiting tow to dealer.  The car was purchased Oct 2013.  This is only her second replacement battery.  My Fusion has been through three since late Dec 2013.  Both our Fords are unreliable.

I would recommend jumper battery until they figure out the problem. I had my car outside for 5 days and it started and the ICE came on immediately so I think the 12v battery was getting weak, but I didn't think to check my volt meter to see what my starting voltage was, ouch. :)

Paul

My wife will not hear of putting more money into the car for a jumper battery.  She, and I agree, that having Ford pay for a wrecker/jumper service every time the car breaks they may become interested in fixing the problem.  The dealer put in a new battery based on my telling them it needed a new one.  They are well aware of problem and recorded error codes about starting system error.  In my experience the only thing going for the Ford Hybrids as they relate to me is the dealership.

My wife will not hear of putting more money into the car for a jumper battery.  She, and I agree, that having Ford pay for a wrecker/jumper service every time the car breaks they may become interested in fixing the problem.  The dealer put in a new battery based on my telling them it needed a new one.  They are well aware of problem and recorded error codes about starting system error.  In my experience the only thing going for the Ford Hybrids as they relate to me is the dealership.

That's all well and good but I'd hate to spend the night in the car some remote place because the battery happened to fail in an inconvenient time and place, or perhaps somewhere outside of cell range. 

But I suppose I rarely leave the car parked for very long periods in such wildernesses. 

I guess I would hate to waste the time and inconvenience  for all of that.  FORD knows they have problems and the Dealer can only do what they tell them to do. Good Luck :)

Paul

yes a very good premise and possibility

is there anything in the manual on this?

i sometimes leave my passat unlocked in my garage and yes it may be sending a signal to check every so often, might do that regardless of lock/unlock state though not sure.

i know sometimes when im washing my car and have the fob in my pocked with the doors open it keeps on going crazy by beeping the horn

so i always have to put the fob in the house in those cases (so its further away from the car in the driveway and out of signal range)

I seem to recall an issue with dead batteries in the 5-series BMWs and one of the theories was that if you parked your car in the your garage and left it unlocked the keyless entry system was always in "standby" or "ready" mode or something like that as long as the fob was within range of the proximity sensor in the car. It was proposed that owners should always lock their cars to prevent draining down the battery. I could be remembering that wrong and it's quite possible Ford's system doesn't work the same way. Still, food for thought...

Edited by salsaguy

I think you meant to say 2014 not 2013 right?

and yes I think I read a post recently where someone with a '14 did have a battery issue and it was less than a month old

not good for us who are considering getting a '14 and even waited till they came out to make sure the battery issue wouldnt affect us, and its still an issue even now after 1.5 yrs~! and no solution yet at least none that we have head of

Good to see there hasn't been any problems for 2013 build dates.  Maybe Ford figured it out? 

Edited by salsaguy

your insurance card for your car that you should have 1 in the car and 1 in your wallet/purse should show the VIN # as well as your sales paperwork that should be in a safe place at your home

C Max is in the shop so I can't give you build date, etc.    Dead battery three times so far, always when parked in garage overnight.   Dealer replaced 12v battery about 2 weeks ago but vehicle was dead again yesterday.  6k miles on vehicle.

that would make SOME sense since it seems most of the dead battery issues were on SEs with the smaller screens and not the SELs with the larger screens if they got the MFT option

but i know there have been some SELs with dead batteries so....not so sure about this "fix"

Recent information indicates that Ford engineering thinks the dead battery problem is related to the 4.2" LCD display in the center of the dashboard. 

Perhaps the survey could add the questions:  4.2" center LCD display and 8" center LCD display

same here i hear it on the radio and tv but not so much in print ads especially the flyers from ford directly

it seems this is their most hated step child they dont want to show off

maybe they think if enough time passes the mpg issue will be forgotten by new buyers if its in the past enough time so no reason to remind people about that bad 4 letter word:

C-M-A-X

:(

They've put some effort into Southern California. I've seen TV ads, heard radio commercials and have seen several on the road here.

perhaps create an offline survey ay surveymonkey and link it to this thread

?

Well I think the poll very clearly showed that those with MFT did not have the Battery problems at the rate that other folks did (which is what the TSB 13-04-13 is all about).

I would add another question about mileage, but the forum won't let me ask more than 3 questions :(

• 2 weeks later...