For those who have had 12v Battery problems

zhackwyatt

Only if you have had 12v Battery Problems...  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What package do you have?

2. 2. What month was your car born?

3. 3. What was the resolution (final fix)?

• Replaced 12v Battery
    • Tailgate problems
    • Replaced frayed wires
    • Replaced module in car (i.e. power drain)
    • Melted fuse box
    • Don't know yet...
    • Instrument Panel Replaced
    • Replaced Car
    • Software update

I joined this forum to VOTE.

I purchased a C-Max SE, base package on 12/31/2013.

4/14/2014 at a little over 2000 miles I experienced my first dead battery. I had the car jumped and took it to the dealer. They seemed more concerned that the clock stopped and they were not able to reset it. 

6/19/2014 at a little over 3000 miles I experienced my second dead battery. Back to the dealer and this time they replaced the battery. Again the clocked stopped and I was not able to reset it.

I am also having an issue with the USB port, frequently it states the USB is disconnected when it isn't. I go through the menu, select source and my IPOD plays. 

On 4/14/2014 I brought this up and they used TSB 12-11-08 ti 'fix' it but it did not fix it.

On 6/19/2014 I brought it up again and they could not re-create and nothing was done. They said this issue could be a problem with my IPOD and not the cmax media system. Sigh. But I guess anything is possible.

That is the whole story so far and my fingers are crossed FORD will come up with a definitive resolution.

I love my C-Max but the battery issue it making it hard to stay in love.

UPDATE: 8/21/2014.

Third dead battery this AM. Contacted Ashley. Ford Corp (opened ticket), manager of service department! Car will be towed this morning and I will let all know the outcome.

My fingers are crossed that the third time it the charm.

Edited by Dottie

I joined this forum to VOTE.

I purchased a C-Max SE, base package on 12/31/2013.

4/14/2014 at a little over 2000 miles I experienced my first dead battery. I had the car jumped and took it to the dealer. They seemed more concerned that the clock stopped and they were not able to reset it. 

6/19/2014 at a little over 3000 miles I experienced my second dead battery. Back to the dealer and this time they replaced the battery. Again the clocked stopped and I was not able to reset it.

I am also having an issue with the USB port, frequently it states the USB is disconnected when it isn't. I go through the menu, select source and my IPOD plays. 

On 4/14/2014 I brought this up and they used TSB 12-11-08 ti 'fix' it but it did not fix it.

On 6/19/2014 I brought it up again and they could not re-create and nothing was done. They said this issue could be a problem with my IPOD and not the cmax media system. Sigh. But I guess anything is possible.

That is the whole story so far and my fingers are crossed FORD will come up with a definitive resolution.

I love my C-Max but the battery issue it making it hard to stay in love.

Greetings

Do you know if your car has had 13B12 preformed, sounds like this is your battery problem.

Here's a link in the Maintenance, TSB's & Recalls sub forum.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3291-13b12-check-battery-and-reprogram-the-front-controldisplay-interface-module-fcdim/

If you post in 5 different threads you can send a PM to Ashley, she's in Ford customer service and monitors this board.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/user/1579-fordservice/

Click on "Send a message" but you have to have 5 posts first.

wab 

Edited by wab

Wab.

I have been noting all the TSB numbers on this forum. My car was built in November 2013 and most seemed to apply to earlier builds.

Will  post in 4 more threads, curious what Ashley will advise.

But this FSA does sound 'different'.

I have not received a letter from Ford but I have not opened a ticket with Corporate yet, wonder if that is the driver.

Thanks for your post and link.

I keep thinking what a great car this will be once this battery issue is resolved.

Dottie

I just discovered this forum, wish I had found it sooner! I purchased my c-max in October of 2012. Generally love the car but I am on my   5th instance of a dead battery. I have had battery replaced 3 times and all recalls have been performed. I believe that the dealer is doing all they can but I am beginning to get really frustrated.  In all but one of the instances I have had the car towed to the dealer in an attempt to preserve any codes that might stored. Not sure where to turn.  I hate to dream up 4 more posts just so I can email Ashley. Guess I could dream up something.

Greetings and welcome

You can use the "Test Forum" to create your posts.

It's located at the bottom of the forum home page.

Here's a link to the "Test Forum"

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/forum/29-test-forum/

It's pretty easy to get interested in a forum like this, go to each sub forum and anything that interests you join in.

Example: Do you do your own maintenance?

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3855-diy-oil-change/

Again welcome and enjoy

wab

Dottie yes its always good to post a ticket on the official corportate site so its documented and raised to a higher priority and they know more and more are having this issue so they can once and for all fix it

good luck

im tired of hearing of this OLD problem still happening 1.5 yrs after the car has been 1st launched and Im a potential buyer of this car...

Wab.

I have been noting all the TSB numbers on this forum. My car was built in November 2013 and most seemed to apply to earlier builds.

Will  post in 4 more threads, curious what Ashley will advise.

But this FSA does sound 'different'.

I have not received a letter from Ford but I have not opened a ticket with Corporate yet, wonder if that is the driver.

Thanks for your post and link.

I keep thinking what a great car this will be once this battery issue is resolved.

Dottie

Edited by salsaguy

So what do i tell my dealer? Make sure before delivery that you check the battery?

Which Cmax are you getting?

The SEL's don't have nearly as many dead batteries.

It seems that most of the SE's are ok, just the ones built :confused: during a full moon :headspin:

I did.  I got an SEL, they gave me an internet quote of 27000 before I ever stepped foot on the showroom floor.  They had already included most of the rebates.  I got an additional 750 for being a vet but had to get my wife to send me a pic of my DD 214.

Mine was an SEL with 302A package.

Edited by shinytop

Because I noticed the SE includes push to start, rear sensor but with the blue candy color it's another 395.00. Since we live in Michigan we might get the winter package. Anyone have the heated manual cloth seats? Chime in and share your experience with them.

The heated cloth seats work great, especially on short trips. Using them (instead of the cabin heater) also helps reduce ICE (engine) run time in winter, resulting in better MPG. I rarely had to use the cabin heater, even with how cold this past winter was in upper midwest.

Edited by Zathrus

The seat warmers work great.  We turn them on when we drive in cold weather and wait until the temp gauge is at operating temp before putting the climate control on.

We have an SEL and have not yet had a battery problem - we have @ 18,000 miles. 

The only item of concern is no spare tire.  We drove out west - I carried the tire jack and tools so I could at least remove the tire to get it fixed, depending on where we were (fortunately we did not get a flat on our trip).  6 months after we got the car, I had a flat tire - called Ford and they took us to a Ford dealer (no cost for tow) where they put a new tire.  Tire cost about $20 more than Costco.

The foot-activated, power lift gate is a very useful feature.  We love the seating and the way the car drives.

The heated cloth seats work great, especially on short trips. Using them (instead of the cabin heater) also helps reduce ICE (engine) run time in winter, resulting in better MPG. I rarely had to use the cabin heater, even with how cold this past winter was in upper midwest.

So you have the seats warm up before turning on the rest of the heat to the car?

So you have the seats warm up before turning on the rest of the heat to the car?

Yes. The seats are electrically heated (they do not use heat from engine). Sometimes for short trips I do not even turn on car heater. There is a rotary wheel switch with 5 settings.  On setting 5, heat can be felt (on seat and back) within about 15-30 seconds (and that is through a winter coat). I quickly have to throttle back to 3 or even 1 within 1-2 minutes, even on very cold days.

Edited by Zathrus

What is interesting is that NO ONE in this admittedly unscientific poll thread has ever specifically mention having the RADIO replaced. I believe there are two or three people who have mentioned it in other battery threads.

Doing some quick math, 59 of the 99 responses here (~60%!) in this thread involve the C-MAX SE with either Equipment Group 200A (the Standard equipment) or Group 201A (Power lift gate, Reverse Sensing System, and Ambient Lighting).

Every other Equipment Group for the SE and all the SEL Equipment Groups have SYNC with MyFordTOUCH, not MyFord SYNC.

Narrowing it a bit further, every SEL has the Ambient Lighting and Reverse Sensing system standard, so if that was the root of the problem, there would logically be far more SEL owners responding.

Since the 200A group has no options, besides the parts common to ALL C-MAX hybrids: engine, 12 v and hybrid batteries, steering, brakes, windows, door locks, and the hybrid system itself, the ONE common hardware device to both most-mentioned vehicles is…

(drumroll please)

The standard AM/FM/CD player with Ford Sync. The one with all the buttons.

Hmmmm.

Edited by kostby

Because I noticed the SE includes push to start, rear sensor but with the blue candy color it's another 395.00. Since we live in Michigan we might get the winter package. Anyone have the heated manual cloth seats? Chime in and share your experience with them.

Hello FordFan,

I have SE with the heated cloth seats, been having the car over a year with 23,000 miles and they work great for my wife in the winter time, well in New Orleans. Personally do not use them, too hot blooded here for that. I wanted the cloth seats, just do not like leather, had that in other cars. The only problem I had with the car was the other day the hatch was not closing correctly, brought into my dealer, was given rental car to use in mean time, car would have been ready that day if not for ordering part. The problem I see on here in this forumn is the ones that have trouble with their cars seems to be coming from their dealer not fixing it right the first time. I have been to my dealer for all the updates and recalls for my car and they have a great service dept. that knows what to do the first time. Everyone that has rode in this car cannot get over how comfortable this car is and I mean one that has a CTS Cadillac told me this. Well good luck on your Buy, but most important find a good dealer and you will not regret buying your car.

If the root cause of the battery issue is really the corroded terminals of the water pump as some have said in another forum then the Energi would only be masking the problem as its constantly recharging the car when plugged in. Surely they share the same part on the hybrid and Energi and both would have unprotected contacts. .over time a short or fire may happen on the Energi if not diagnosed properly.until it's solved anything is possible on any version of the car (hybrid or  energis and modelsSWE or SEL)

Hybrid.  I have owned a 14 for almost a month and no battery issues.  And it has not been reported by 14's that I have seen. 

Edited by salsaguy

Check for corrosion on terminals of water pump under car and for the water intrusion as has been reported on a service recall. The battery is just the part getting messed up by the primary / real issue of an electrical short / drain on the system because of something else(currently unknown by Ford)...'at least they are not saying

So what do i tell my dealer? Make sure before delivery that you check the battery?

Edited by salsaguy

If the root cause of the battery issue is really the corroded terminals of the water pump as some have said in another forum then the Energi would only be masking the problem as its constantly recharging the car when plugged in. Surely they share the same part on the hybrid and Energi and both would have unprotected contacts. .over time a short or fire may happen on the Energi if not diagnosed properly.until it's solved anything is possible on any version of the car (hybrid or  energis and modelsSWE or SEL)

Not exactly. The charger does bring up the 12V battery voltage towards the end of the charging cycle. But once that is done the charging stops until one of the front doors is opened or remote start is used. So an Energi can sit for days with no charging being done so it is vulnerable just the same as the Hybrid.