C-MAX, Prius and Prius V

rkk

Thanks for the links but this is an old article/thread, saw this sometime ago.

In my experience, I don't agree...my numbers don't reflect anything that bad and I have nearly 7,500 miles on the odo. I drive everywhere and all surfaces including 3 trips with 1,700 accumulate miles from 500 ft to 7,800 ft to Mammoth and back fully loaded and temp varying from -3F to 45F. Even at speeds greater than 65mph, I am still seeing some pretty good MPGs due to the ICE High MPG mode and I only do these speeds coming back from Mammoth.

Know your vehicles strengths and drive to it and have fun playing with it. I always look forward to outdoing my last run. 

I have no problem calling my CMax a 47MPG car, and right now my tank is 48MPG and my last 3 tanks have been at 47MPGs. YMMV, of course  :) 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Actually this was just posted yesterday. Some of the information is from an older thread. One of his points would be whatever you are getting in the C-MAX, you would be getting better in either Prius despite Ford's advertising. For me the C-MAX has been consistently about 7-8 mpg's less than my Civic Hybrid was in similar conditions even though the Civic is a lower rated car. In my case I have nearly 11,000 miles on mine and have yet to see a 47 mpg tank but it is much colder here. Maybe this summer.

Edited by rkk

Having test driven the Prius V before looking at the C Max, I would rather get a bit less mph than drive the Prius. No handling or pick up.

I recently drove the Jetta hybrid.  Seemed like plenty of pickup(similar horsepower numbers) but the responses weren't as refined as the C-Max. I actually like the CVT versus a standard transmission as I get used to it.   The handling was good for the Jetta as far as suspension and cornering go, but the brakes were way to responsive.

Having test driven the Prius V before looking at the C Max, I would rather get a bit less mph than drive the Prius. No handling or pick up.

I did the same and fully agree.

I don't count mileage as significant drawback of CMAX - it shows 37 - 39 in normal driving and I can get 40 - 45 if I actually need to.

What is more important for me, and makes me think sometimes about changing CMAX to Prius ( :)) is spare tire problem and snow chain problem. Both makes CMAX unsuitable for the multi-day long trips. Having spare so that you can always change broken tire and then drive 1 - 2 days (even if slow) so that you trip is not totally destroyed, and you are not sticked in the disabled car in the middle of nowhere is very important thing. All these 'tire repair kit, ford assistance and so on' are absolutely useless if you hit a rock failed from he wall somewhere in the back-country road,  without cell coverage (which is absolutely normal on the long  trips) and with 100 - 200 miles to the nearest FORD service (and on weekend when tire shops are closed). This is main drawback of CMAX for me, as the rest are bearable (no chains, too, through not so bad as there are suitable replacements). Mileage - yes, Prius shows more, but driving Prius on the long mountain trip... brr...

I did the same and fully agree.

I don't count mileage as significant drawback of CMAX - it shows 37 - 39 in normal driving and I can get 40 - 45 if I actually need to.

What is more important for me, and makes me think sometimes about changing CMAX to Prius ( :)) is spare tire problem and snow chain problem. Both makes CMAX unsuitable for the multi-day long trips. Having spare so that you can always change broken tire and then drive 1 - 2 days (even if slow) so that you trip is not totally destroyed, and you are not sticked in the disabled car in the middle of nowhere is very important thing. All these 'tire repair kit, ford assistance and so on' are absolutely useless if you hit a rock failed from he wall somewhere in the back-country road,  without cell coverage (which is absolutely normal on the long  trips) and with 100 - 200 miles to the nearest FORD service (and on weekend when tire shops are closed). This is main drawback of CMAX for me, as the rest are bearable (no chains, too, through not so bad as there are suitable replacements). Mileage - yes, Prius shows more, but driving Prius on the long mountain trip... brr...

I still wouldn't buy a Prius for the reasons you mention, if I needed to drive primarily highway diesel is the most efficient option. You have a spare tire, no loss of trunk capacity, or additional battery weight to lug around. Diesel engines have inherently higher thermal efficiency than Atkins cycle gasoline engines.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/hybrids-diesels-do-they-save-money/index.htm?loginMethod=auto&copyrightYear=2013

Edited by darrelld

Couldn't agree more.

I've looked at buying a Prius since mid 2008, and Toyota has simply not improved handling and performance to my satisfaction to warrant a purchase. If one places a premium on FE especially at less than freeway speeds and short trips, buy the Prius otherwise test drive the C-Max or VW TDIs especially at or above freeway speeds and compare comfort, handling, and performance.

From my thread: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/index.php?/topic/805-let-is-snow-let-it-snow-let-it-snowcmax-at-mammoth-lakes-ca/

There may be no snow chains but there is snow cable:

8323389257_4599c7eebd.jpg

I use and carry these (as you can see) and it drives pretty well with them. Putting them on is not the easiest and you can see, theres not exactly a ton of space there and taking them off was a trip - but bottomline, these chains are good, used them for many years in a Jaguar/Camry in various conditions.

Go here, if you dare, and witness one of the biggest collection of astonishingly ignorant comments you will ever see.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/02/28/ford-c-max-hybrid-falls-well-short-in-careful-cleanmpg-ec/

Then there is this post on Lamebook from someone who thought they were saving money by trading in their C-Max that was averaging 37 MPG for a Lexus ES300h. Taking a multi-thousand dollar deprecation hit and switch to a car that is likely to get similar or worse mileage (and even if it was slightly better, would save maybe $100/year) is the act of a mathematical genius.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/genius

Makes me want to

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/desk-flip

Go here, if you dare, and witness one of the biggest collection of astonishingly ignorant comments you will ever see.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/02/28/ford-c-max-hybrid-falls-well-short-in-careful-cleanmpg-ec/

Then there is this post on Lamebook from someone who thought they were saving money by trading in their C-Max that was averaging 37 MPG for a Lexus ES300h. Taking a multi-thousand dollar deprecation hit and switch to a car that is likely to get similar or worse mileage (and even if it was slightly better, would save maybe $100/year) is the act of a mathematical genius.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/genius

Makes me want to

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/desk-flip

Thanks for the link, I now know the eGolf is set to arrive in 2014.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/02/28/vw-golf-plug-in-hybrid-coming-in-2014/

Good news travels fast, and in the case of Volkswagen and its the Golf plug-in hybrid, a little faster than we thought. Europe's biggest automaker, which was previously thought to be debuting the Golf PHEV in 2015, is apparently bumping that timetable up to next year, UK's Autocar reports.

The Golf Mk7 Plug-In Hybrid, set for a 2014 launch date, will pair a 148-horsepower, 1.4-liter gas engine with a 100-horsepower electric motor that will deliver mind-boggling fuel economy equivalent of 188 miles per gallon – on the more lenient European testing cycle, at least. Performance should be well-received, too, since the car will be able to scoot from 0 to 60 miles per hour in about seven and a half seconds and will be able to go 31 miles in electric-only mode.

The Golf Mk7 Plug-In Hybrid will have the same powertrain as the Audi A3 E-tron PHEV. That car will be unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show next month. Our first drive review of the standard 2014 Golf is available here.

I thought my 2013 C-MAX would be a Prius Killer? NOT! As a cross over buyer I feel deceived. I want to support US companies and US jobs. What was Ford thinking when they published 47/ 47/47 estimates? I would have been ok with low 40's but 28-33 is not even in the ballpark. I have been accused of not knowing how to drive hybrid. I lease both a 2010 Prius and 2010 Honda Insight and consider myself an experienced hyper-miler. My mileage in the Prius is 50 plus, the Insight is 40 plus, The C-MAX is a great car, with extremely inflated EPA posted estimates.

Ronald Kramer
Yankee Ford Customer
South Portland, Maine

Ron, let me be next in line to take your heat.  You are right, the C-Max seems to be a great car.  As for the mpg, not too many possibilities here.  For the record, I drove ours off the lot and have been getting 40 to 50 mpg ever since, in mild weather and mixed city/highway conditions (1000+- miles so far).  I can only imagine the weather difference in chilly Maine, but it does make a significant difference.  Anyway, not going to do battle here, I can only assume that you have a lemon; or you are fully utilizing that wonderful horsepower Ford has given the C-Max.  Nick 

PS Yesterday I did a 35 mile run and easily did 49 mpg, well perhaps not easily; I drove it in hybrid mode and had fair weather.

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

There are 700 mileage threads in this forum. I don't know why we keep rehashing the same crap over and over.

This past weekend I made a good test of real world numbers.

In my Energi model is rated at 41 highway, 44 city, 43 combined in the "EV Later" mode (normal hybrid operation).

650ish miles. 5 passengers + a dog. Luggage for a weekend. Temps ranging from 30 degrees to 50 degrees. Brief periods of rain and snow. Mostly still air but a period of about 60 miles had a stiff head wind. Over 400 of the miles on freeway, Eco cruise set to 70mph. The rest on highways with Eco cruise set to 60mph. All very mountainous, lots of steep grades. Climate control inside set to 70 and "auto". No hypermiling techniques used. Fuel is 10% ethanol.

38.9 mpg (corrected for odometer differences)

Barely 2.1mpg lower than the EPA numbers which average only 48mph, are run using 100% gasoline (no ethanol), warmer temps, not carrying 5 people and gear, and on level ground.

I think that's pretty darn good.

In other situations I exceed EPA significantly. The weekend of Feb 16, I made four 80 mile trips. 50 degrees outside, climate controls set to 70 auto. Rural roads, Eco cruise set to 55. Mountainous terrain. Two passengers on two trips, three passengers on the other two. No wind. 10% ethanol fuel.

46mpg

That's 5mpg better than the EPA highway numbers.

I don't hypermile. I do driver moderately.

Right under the fuel economy estimates on the window sticker it says "your mileage may vary" (I paraphrased because I don't have a sticker in front of me).

If you drive hard in hard conditions - fuel economy drops.

I thought my 2013 C-MAX would be a Prius Killer? NOT! As a cross over buyer I feel deceived. I want to support US companies and US jobs. What was Ford thinking when they published 47/ 47/47 estimates? I would have been ok with low 40's but 28-33 is not even in the ballpark. I have been accused of not knowing how to drive hybrid. I lease both a 2010 Prius and 2010 Honda Insight and consider myself an experienced hyper-miler. My mileage in the Prius is 50 plus, the Insight is 40 plus, The C-MAX is a great car, with extremely inflated EPA posted estimates.

Ronald Kramer

Yankee Ford Customer

South Portland, Maine

I killed a prius yesterday.

At a red light looked over gave him the ol thumbs up, light turned green, counted thousand1 and 2 and punched it...beat him to the next red light (ALL lights are RED in Ft. Worth) by 2 lengths.

He wouldn't even look at me.

Seriously.. if you can get that thing into the 20's SOMETHING IS WRONG.

take it in!

Edited by wab

I could imagine if you drive 2 miles everyday and it's winter.  One the car is not broken in, and two its cold.  So your probably  seat heaters, regular heat, the radio, and lights.

I could see it will initially take a hit.

However come spring, reset your mileage and write us back.

Here is how I am doing!

Zalusky -  :wub2:   the twins mate! Good stuff there  :rockon:

Yeah, if you're posting in the 20s, something is severely wrong there and we have many, many posters driving in the cold of MI or AK (Hello Adair and DonHak  :)) and mid 30s to low 30s is reasonable in all that cold but 20, wow. 

It is what it is and thus far, for me, the last 3 tanks have been 47+MPG and my 4th tank is at the moment 48.7MPG at 404 miles and I have a 1/3 left. So it is what it is and for me, I have NO DOUBT, this is a 47MPG vehicle. SoCal temps and driving conditions, tad over 8000 miles odo.

May be I got lucky  :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Ronald Kramer

Yankee Ford Customer

South Portland, Maine

With those MPG numbers I'm assuming you are making short trips in 30deg.F temps or lower. I'm curious why you haven't gotten Grill Covers, they warm your car up faster and improve MPG's up to 4 mpgs. Other members with covers up north say it make a real difference.