2013 C max makes Noises

808stevan

Aloha to All,

I live in Hawaii and recently bought a 2013 C Max from a used car lot.

It was on special because the car makes noises when the gas motor kicks in.

The mechanic stated that it was a Generator issue and not a transmission issue.

They said that the car should last another few years before the transmission would need to be replaced at a cost estimated to be upwards of $5,000.

Apparently the Transmission is a "Sealed Unit" and to eliminate the noise of the generator, I would have to replace the entire assembly.

I got the car for $2900.

So far it is extremely reliable and I am getting nearly 40mpg.

As I brake, the battery reloads as expected.

Whenever I am in gear and the gas engine kicks in, there is a noticeable humm, like the sound of a circular saw, but it is not too loud (as in the volume of a screeching belt or power steering going bad) and the car operates perfectly.

Can anyone comment on the longevity as described by the dealer?

Am I in for headaches soon?

I Humbly ask for your opinions....

Edited by 808stevan

My 2013 Energi also makes a loud-ish sound. almost a bearing howl, from the back of the car, behind the driver, when the gas engine is running; it has been diagnosed on the late lamented Energi sibling of this forum as a noisy fuel pump, and a fairly common issue.  Seems to be harmless.  Certainly, it has caused no trouble in the 6 years I've owned the car, including some multi-day road trips.

Some questions about your problem:

1. How many miles on the car?
  2. Does the pitch or volume change with engine speed? You can set the My View screen to show RPM.
  3. Does the pitch or volume change with car speed?
  4. Does the pitch or volume change with load (pressing or letting off the accelerator) while driving at about 35 mph?
  5. Is the sound present while sitting still but with the engine running? You can force it to run in Park by pressing the accelerator.
  6. Is there any sign of transmission fluid leaking?
  7. Has the fluid level been checked?

You might want to post a recording of the sound.

Oops - I didn't see stolenmoments post before I posted - that may be it.

Edited by SnowStorm

Hello.  I too have a very similar audible issue with my 2013 C-MAX.  I have approx. 243K on the car and this issue started up about a year ago.  The noise as described is very similar.  It only happens when the engine runs and the pitch of the sound does change as the engine revs up.  I too feel it is something Generator related due to the conditions of when it occurs... I hear a somewhat similar sound when breaking but not to the same volume... More of a whining sound.  

I have been told by a separate mechanic that my transmission would need major servicing at some point in the near future given the mileage and the fact that it is sealed.  Not sure if $5K + would be worth it but other than this issue I have only had 1 problem with a throttle body that went out at about 96k and it was covered by warranty.  The rest of servicing as just been general maintenance and replacing of shocks/struts at a little of the 204k mile mark.  It has been an excellent vehicle for me otherwise.

Just had the Ford dealer replace the entire transaxle and Ford replaced it parts and labor under warranty, for the grinding noise you may have experienced it is a common ford defect, a bearing inside the transaxle.  My 2013 C-max energi has 68,500 miles on it.

Also, right front axil center bearing failure. I suggest changing transaxle fluid ever 30,000 miles.

Also, P0D59 code replaced the plug-in receptacle car kept thinking it was still plugged in. Wrench and engine light on everything locked up, let it set 20 minutes it frees up and you can drive away, with just engine light on, wrench out. 

Also, replaced all 4 fuel injectors, all 4 spark plugs, and one coil on plug unit for misfiring P0300 and P0301.

Aso replace 12V car battery when car would not start one day.  Jump starting worked great however from under the hood.

Also make sure you have a good lithum ion battery in you key fob.

so far just over $3,000 spent.

Wife loves the car.  Happy wife, happy life.

Enjoy. Fun to drive.