Transmission replacement

Nor Cal Brent

Who did the diagnosis?  13k sound about twice what it should be.  My 2013 failed about 4 years ago and I was quoted 7k by my dealer for a new transmission with 3 year warranty.  Now, I think, they have a repair kit (?) which lowers the cost.  I bought a used one from a wrecking yard, had them ship it to my dealer and they installed it - less then $3500 total.  I wouldn't say it is "normal" but there have been quite a few failures - various mileages.  Read the CSP here.  Of course I really don't know if this CSP corresponds to your problem.  Its hard to say how urgent it is.  I think mine had "failed" (faint whirring sound under only certain specific conditions) tens of thousands of miles before it wore a hole in the housing and started losing fluid.  It was urgent then!  My car is at 246k miles now with 70k+ miles on the replacement tranny.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would give my two cents worth.  My 2013 Cmax with about 72,000 miles on it started making the low whining sound.  I let it go for a while before deciding I should look into it.  Took it to an independent shop and they said it was the hybrid transmission and I would need to take it to a Ford dealer.  Went to a Ford dealer and they also indicated the hybrid transmission was failing and needed to be replaced.  The Ford dealer quoted me about $7,700.  The independent shop quoted me about $6,700.  So, I had it replaced at the independent shop.