24 Hour Test Drive = Buyer?

ScubaDadMiami

I am just past half way through a 24 hour test drive of an SEL that I rented from Budget Rent A Car.  (Yes, they now have them in their rental fleet!)

I had previously done the traditional 10 minute dealership test drive of an SE.  However, I really felt that I had not done enough of a test to make the decision to place my order.  So, I decided to see about making a more extensive test.  I will summarize some findings, emphasizing things that I really haven't seen mentioned before.  Maybe this will be helpful to someone that is at the same stage of reaching a decision.

My phone paired on the first attempt.  Since this is a rental, I did not synchronize my contact information.  The Bluetooth worked well, and I was super happy with the sound quality that came through using Bluetooth.  Using the Android version of Spotify on my phone, I did not see any album images on the SEL's screen.

There is a big, big difference in the seat comfort of the power seats over the manual seats of the SE.  It just kills me that Ford does not allow an option for people of warm climates that is not leather. 

I have to admit it: the glass pane in the roof is pretty cool!  I hope that I can afford to put it in the option list.  The interior shading material seems questionable regarding holding up to the many years it may have to serve under places having strong sun.

The last time I drove any hybrid, a Prius, was years ago.  Yet, I immediately am getting 46.5MPG Average in the 150 miles or so of mixed driving I have completed in this CMAX.  Braking is yielding 99 percent almost always, and I have even gotten a number of 100 percenters.  (Sudden braking for traffic yielded perhaps as low as about 67 percent.)  I am being gentle on both the gas pedal and break pedal.  Temperatures are about 70F, and I am driving over flat areas of South Florida.  The rental vehicle already had 9,000+ miles on it prior to my rental.  I used Cruise Control (with the Economy setting for hills) part of the time, I drove manually part of the time.

My rental vehicle's rear lift-gate acts inconsistently with the foot kicks, as has been reported by other vehicle owners.

Voice commands have been very easy to guess, even without reading the manual.  I am having no problems with this system.

The backup camera and sensing system is great!  Before ever using one, it seemed like a bunch of extras that you don't really need.  However, it is so great and easy to use that it is something I imagine that I will quickly consider essential for all!  :-}

There is a big difference between having the fog lights on or off.  This should at least be a pay option for the SE.  I still can't imagine how they ever decided not to have HID or LED headlights on such a great vehicle.

I have accidentally moved the shifter past Drive to Low, when putting the CMAX into gear from Park, a few times.  Not a big deal, and I imagine that I will develop the touch to make the move second nature.

My vehicle does not have the Navigation Package.  How quickly I came to want to have images for navigation on that big screen!  Just listening to the turn by turn directions over the Bluetooth isn't good enough anymore!  Ford, you may have just convinced me!

I find the ready to drive icon to be annoying and a little distracting.  I would prefer that it turn on just to start, and then to go away.  (What can I say?)

I do not know why Ford didn't come out with some kind of covering for the driver foot rest that is not carpet.  Speaking of the foot rest, I hate it.  It is in the way.  I either have to prop my foot up on it, or I have to akwardly turn my ankle so that my foot rests on the lower floor. 

On a similar note, I found that heel-toe driving of the CMAX is not the greatest.  I wish that the break pedal were lower to the floor.  After all, the "grabby" breaks (as people have termed it) hardly have to travel at all to bring the CMAX to a stop.

I am very close to making my final decision, and I still really like the CMAX.  But, one can always dream! 

Don't be surprised to hear about a new owner joining your ranks soon!

Thanks for the review!  I'm glad you were able to rent one before buying.  I did a one hour test drive before deciding.  

I'm interested in hearing about the seat comfort between the manual and electric.  When I was in rentals, I found the electric seats to be harder.  

My biggest problem with the car is how high the brake pedal is.  I have hip problems, and having to lift my foot in order to get to the brake is an issue.  But it's a small one compared to all the bonuses of the car.  I do wish I had the option for a rear-view camera in the SE.  I would love to have one, but alas, I didn't want leather seats.

>>>It just kills me that Ford does not allow an option for people of warm climates that is not leather.>>>

Totally agree - we would have preferred fabric in our SEL, for winter, for summer and for maintenance/cleaning.

I got leather for the first time in the C-Max and love it.  Easy to wipe clean with pet hair.  As for the heat on the leather, nothing that Remote Start and window tint can't fix.

I'm interested in hearing about the seat comfort between the manual and electric. When I was in rentals, I found the electric seats to be harder.

Here are some of the differences.  Adjustable Lumbar Support: Yes/No; Bottom Seat Pivot: Yes/No.

I also think that the seat heater and other items add thicker padding to the bottom seat cushion.  I found a very big difference here.

I have owned nothing but leather for about 15 years now but I can understand why some people wouldn't want it.  For me it is the more practical material because it holds up well to kids and pets and is very easy to keep clean.  I also put a nice conditioner on it once or twice a year too.

I have the "pane in the roof" and have come to like it.  It takes what is a fairly roomy small car and makes it feel so much roomier!

Other than a problem with the "intelegent key" sometimes not unlocking the door when we touch the handle, and the glitchy MFT and NAV which should be solved with the new software update due out very soon, we really like our Cmax.

Here are some of the differences.  Adjustable Lumbar Support: Yes/No; Bottom Seat Pivot: Yes/No.

I also think that the seat heater and other items add thicker padding to the bottom seat cushion.  I found a very big difference here.

I would like the bottom seat pivot.  That would be helpful.  But I never use lumbar support because it pushes against my ribs and causes a lot of pain.  What I mostly don't like about the electric seat is that you can't put your non-driving foot under the seat.  I am constantly fidgeting and changing position, and I like to be able to move that foot around more.  When driving a car with the electric seat, I always feel a bit stifled with my limited foot movement. 

I have owned nothing but leather for about 15 years now but I can understand why some people wouldn't want it.  For me it is the more practical material because it holds up well to kids and pets and is very easy to keep clean.  I also put a nice conditioner on it once or twice a year too.

I have the "pane in the roof" and have come to like it.  It takes what is a fairly roomy small car and makes it feel so much roomier!

Other than a problem with the "intelegent key" sometimes not unlocking the door when we touch the handle, and the glitchy MFT and NAV which should be solved with the new software update due out very soon, we really like our Cmax.

I would welcome any tips you have on cleaning leather seats.  We have a small mark on our passenger seat that looks like it is from some NC red clay.  I tried cleaning it off following the mild soap and water instructions in the owners manual.  This didn't work.  I bought a leather cleaning product, but have not tried it yet.  Does the conditioner product help protect against dirt and stains?

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you learn about the roof carrier limitations with the glass roof? I am surprised to see that because in my experience roofs that have sunroof and moonroofs installed are actually stronger than plan steel roofs. It's probably in the owners manual, I guess I had better read it one of these days.

This was what I was told by the dealer when I placed my order with both the roof rack and the glass.

there are plenty of roof racks that can attach directly to your glass roof and are much strong than door clip in racks and don't leave any marks on the doors or paint.

I know many a cyclist that use Sea Suckers   here is a link    http://www.seasucker.com/shop/1187/   

Thanks so much for the idea.  I am going to contact them to see if this would work with a cargo box.  It surely looks like it should work with their paddle board version.

• 1 month later...

Great review! I'm thinking of trying to rent one myself this weekend. That would give me a chance to really try it out. I like the ford tech so much I replaced the cross trek on my list worth the Escape (which I haven't driven yet). In terms of options, what I dint like is you can't get a backup camera on the SE

You will love both those features.  When I was shopping, I put the panoramic roof higher up on the priority list than car color and some other trim elements.  

I was thinking the same way.  I went with Oxford White rather than the metal flake tricoat, which would have cost extra.  I also figured that it would be easier and cheaper to get touched up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am just waiting for the call that lets me know that the CMAX is at the dealership.  The ETA is May 13!  :) I sure hope it arrives on time.

Once I placed my order, I started doing things to get ready for the big day.  I ordered a mounting kit for my radar detector.  I still can't decide about just where I am going to put my phone.  So, I have held off on ordering that until I see just how much or how little I am going to be needing to access it.

Meanwhile, I keep reading here on the Forum.  Thanks for so many helpful suggestions, everyone!  :worship: Because of the great information I have found here, I now know to ask about various versions and updates on pick up day, and I hope that I can get any updates done then and there, if any are needed.

I have watched all of the videos, and I am finishing up reading the owner's manual.  I registered on the Ford website, as soon as I got my VIN.

I have decided to tint the windows, but I am still not completely sure of just what I am going to do in that regard.  I may go with privacy tint to the rear, and something less than that in the two front windows.  I have not decided on whether to add a strip across the top of the wind screen, but I am leaning against doing this unless it is really necessary. We get disgustingly hot summers in Miami.  So, I need something functional, but I also want something that will look good, or at least not look bad.

I have saved the site to get the LED puddle lights, and will probably go with some for the license plate lighting, too.  I would have already ordered these, but I am waiting until I can order enough to get free shipping before I pull that trigger.

I hope that I have thought of everything, or at least have done enough to get ready for when "that call" comes!  I hope it won't be long!  :drool:  :shift:

Edited by ScubaDadMiami