Nav GPS TSB 13-3-11 - Fix for unable to locate vehicle, etc

Your dealer has a cafeteria?!  Sure beats the leathery candy bars dangling from the screwy things behing the vending machine glass! :sad:

More like a high-end sandwhich bar with really good chocolate chip cookies!  I'm just happy that the money I paid for the "Desert Protection Package" actually went to something of value for me!

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

• 4 weeks later...

GPS has been intermittently going off course 0.2 miles (so keeps trying to lead us back to the freeway!).  Very irritating since getting the built-in GPS was why we paid more and got the 301A package.  Our old Garmin is soooo much better but my husband hates the distraction of having it on windshield.  

Today the car was in for first oil change and they did TSB 13-3-11 for the problem.  Just read the previous comments on this topic,hmm.  I'll let you know later if it doesn't work.

you can get nice beanbag mount for the garmin with an attachment cradle so it sits on the edash. here in CA its illegal to have gs mounted to front glass.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10908-00-Portable-Friction-Mount/dp/B000LRMS66/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367999646&sr=8-2&keywords=garmin+bean+bag+mount

GPS has been intermittently going off course 0.2 miles (so keeps trying to lead us back to the freeway!).  Very irritating since getting the built-in GPS was why we paid more and got the 301A package.  Our old Garmin is soooo much better but my husband hates the distraction of having it on windshield.  

Today the car was in for first oil change and they did TSB 13-3-11 for the problem.  Just read the previous comments on this topic,hmm.  I'll let you know later if it doesn't work.

This is what I did:

1. Take a camera with you, snap pictures of the Nav when it goes off course. It's easy to break - just turn 90* on the surface street.

2. Print the pictures in letter size paper and take it down to your Ford Service Advisor. Have them write it up as an issue with the pictures in hand.

3. Tell them to check out the GPS module and get that replaced.

It will take 3 to 4 for them to do the replacement and test it (thats what it took on mine) so be prepared to have a loaner.

I did that with Galpin and they had no quams about replacing my GPS and its been spot on since (except 2 rubber banding). Given that some 3.1.3 owners are having NO issues with their Nav and also replacing my GPS unit seems to fix the problem for me & joe, the only conclusion is that some early adopters got some bad batches of GPS. Otherwise, mine and Joes should stay broken after the replacement.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

• 2 months later...

I'm having the issue too. It shows my car as being off-road to the right of the road that I'm actually on. Occasionally it corrects itself and shows me back on the correct road. My Energi's mfg date is 6-5-2013. Any ideas what steps I should take to get this resolved? Or do I just need to convince my dealer to replace the GPSM? I live near Galpin, though i didn't buy it there. If they've already dealt with this, perhaps replacing the GPSM will be the solution they come up with, but right now the GPS is nearly useless..

i would take pix showing the issues on your nav screen as proof before you take it to the dealer. any dealer that you trust can work on the car, not just the one you bought it from. Galpin is a good one for sure with their high rank and sales experience. Jus has contacts there for you.

hope you get it resolved as there is a known fix for it.

does it happen all over or just in one location in particular??

I'm having the issue too. It shows my car as being off-road to the right of the road that I'm actually on. Occasionally it corrects itself and shows me back on the correct road. My Energi's mfg date is 6-5-2013. Any ideas what steps I should take to get this resolved? Or do I just need to convince my dealer to replace the GPSM? I live near Galpin, though i didn't buy it there. If they've already dealt with this, perhaps replacing the GPSM will be the solution they come up with, but right now the GPS is nearly useless..

Here is what I did - get your dealer to apply the TSB, and then go try it out, You'll know soon enough if that patch worked or not.

Mine did not. Yeah...take it to Galpin, they did mine and they kept it for about 3 days to investigate the issue and talked with Ford - in the end, they just replaced it and mine has not lost tracked...once in a blue moon, I notice it will rubber band but it goes right back. I cannot be happier than I am now with the GPS.

Nav GPS TSB 13-3-11 - Fix for unable to locate vehicle, etc

There is a Technical Service Bulletin that came out today for those of us whose Nav systems are having a hard time tracking where the vehicle is. Typically your car is shown as off the road or on the next block over, etc.

This fix applies to cars built on 1/15/2013 and before. It involves a recalibration, apparently.

I'm taking my car in tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks to use ceemax71 for finding this

I've only seen this issue on a few roads.  I wish this had come out earlier so it could have been bundled with the PCM and headliner fix.

SInce I rarely go anywhere except the office and the grocery store, I tested me Nav when I first got it but haven't really used it.  When my husband is riding with me, I'll turn on the map with no destination, since he likes to see that.  One time I noticed that when I was on the freeway, the screen showed I was on the access road.  It corrected itself when I got to my exit.  

i would take pix showing the issues on your nav screen as proof before you take it to the dealer. any dealer that you trust can work on the car, not just the one you bought it from. Galpin is a good one for sure with their high rank and sales experience. Jus has contacts there for you.

hope you get it resolved as there is a known fix for it.

does it happen all over or just in one location in particular??

It seems to happen all over. I've only had the car for a week, but in that time I've noticed it at several different spots, including at my own house. When I sit in the driveway, the NAV shows me parked in a neighbor's driveway, 4 houses down the block.

• 1 month later...

I have a C-Max Energi, Manufacture date 12-13-12, and I have been getting the lost tracking errors on the GPS.  Last week, I got the latest MFT sowftware update and had the dealer do the TSB 13-3-11 to reflash the GPS, hoping that would fix it.  My service rep mentioned something about there might be a problem with using an iPhone and having too many contacts or contacts that contain emoticons or "funny characters".  So I deleted my phone from MFT and re-connected it without downloading contacts.

The Nav tracking is still off.  It shows up very clearly when I go through a tunnel, bridge, or other obstruction to the sky - the tracking seems to slow or stop, then start up again when in clear sky. So, if I go through a 1/4 mile tunnel, I will pop out on the other side, with tracking off by 1/8 mile or so, lagging in the direction of travel.  The phone had nothing to do with interfering with the GPS nav.

I will be bringing the car in to have them replace the GPS Module and see if that fixes it.

Edited by Oakland C-Max

• 3 years later...

I have a 2014 C-MAX Hybrid.  On 7/27/17 all of a sudden while getting off on an exit ramp my car location stated showing up about a half inch to the right of the road, sometimes I even appeared to be traveling in a pond.  I got the car in April of 2015 brand new from the factory.  The nav has always been fine till now.  I updated to a new SD card in 2016.  I tried putting the original SD card back in but the problem persist.  Some times after shutting the car off it resets back to the correct location but usually after a fairly short drive my car shows as either to the right or behind where I actually am.  If I have a destination set , it keeps telling me to take lefts on roads to get back to the computed route, only I already am on the computed route (very annoying).  I am on the East coast near Boston so I am pretty sure it is not a location problem.  I suspect the GPS unit based on the different blogs I have read and since changing back to the original SD card does not fix it.  I will take a picture of the screen and hope the dealer can get the needed information to take care of this properly after I tell them what I have read here and in other forums.  We will see.  Prior to this my navigation worked fine and so far none of the forums are reporting problems in models newer than 2013 till now.