poor gas mileage

junokoda09

I used to see low mpg numbers just above 40mpg.  With these cars it is vitally important to brake gradually and slowly, no stomping on the brake pedal.  If you do this will greatly affect your overall effectivity numbers.  Setup your myview screen to show the threshold gauge on the left side of the instrumentation cluster.  Also on the right side of the left display bring up the screen which gives you the Accel, Braking, Cruising categories.  The idea is to always have a full blue line showing in all three groups.  Meaning 100% effective range.  Even the slightest amount of brake, gas pedal pressure at the wrong time will adversely affect your ratings.  As far as freeway driving unless you don't care to have higher mpg numbers, never exceed 62mph because then you are running the gas engine 100% of the time.  With all this work I was able to drive 10 miles today through city streets and only use .2 gallons of gas.  I can live with that.  Go to the pump every 9 days lately.  Enjoy the ride...

mtb - u can run it faster than 62mph...there is a ICE High MPG mode in t, I found this manually (see my thread Eco Cruise vs P&G vs ICE High MPG) but Gen has found an easier way to hit this mode: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/index.php?/topic/1434-i-have-found-the-illusive-mpg-sweet-spot/&do=findComment&comment=12028

It will work but unlike P&G it will burn gas all the time with the offset that it provides high to very high MPG numbers at speeds > 65mph. (sometimes dancing between 40 to 60+ depending on the road level) thanks to the battery assistance. It really does work but the catch is that you need a few miles to build the battery to a very high state and then do the trick that Gen wrote up about (its very easy but you have to tweak it for your own car).

Hope this helps  :)

I just posted this in another thread......

Yesterday I averaged 50.1mpg for 140 miles. Today I averaged 51.3mpg for 135 miles. One trip was 30 miles long with a 60.1mpg average.

Oh, I have 15,750 miles on my Max so far (and climbing VERY fast).

Warm weather is a HUGE factor here. It has been 50+ degrees (finally) the last couple days.

Matt

First work week has come to an end and with 700 miles driven I am averaging 40 MPG.  It has been in the upper 20s in the mornings and around 50 driving home in the afternoon.  No traffic doing the first 65 miles to work, with Moderate to heavy traffic on the homeward bound 65 miles.  Best average leg has been 43.7

Can't wait until the engine is broken in and the weather temps start the northward trend.  Really happy so far.

Check your tire pressures.  Dealerships typically keep them low for a more comfortable test drive.

I checked and the pressures were at 44lbs.  Checked the door and reduced them to the recommended 38 lbs front and back.  The car now rides even nicer.

Thank you for the idea.