Warm Weather Makes All The Difference

nsteblay

Living in Minnesota this winter my cMax was getting about 36 MPG.  Now that it is getting warmer I am getting much better mileage.  I have been averaging low to mid 40's this past week.

I have also changed my driving habits.  I've found that the cMax gets low 40's when traveling 65-70 MPH.  When I get the battery to full charge the electric motor must be kicking in to help keep mileage high during "fast" highway driving.  I don't see the EV in Engage but it must be helping.  I no longer try and stay at 63 MPH.  70 MPH seems to be a sweet spot.  Don't feel like I am holding up traffic anymore.

When traffic gets heavy and I have to travel below 63 MPH I employ the punch and glide technique - becoming second nature.  This significantly helps mileage.

The other day on a 32 mile trip through the city with heavy traffic I got 52 MPG!  Could hardly believe it when I shut the car off.

If the Microsoft Synch software could be fixed the cMax would be everything I wanted when purchased.  Hopefully that will happen in future releases of the software.

I am resigned to the fact that in colder weather season I won't get the EPA mileage.  It will be interesting to see what happens in hot weather when the air conditioning is on.

I am becoming a convert - I do think Ford was honest and upfront with their EPA testing.  There are just so many variables with hybrids - particularly with the cMax in how its configured.  

47.7 on my drive home today.  21 miles on freeway.  Congestion with stop and go but also stretches of going 70 MPH.  Probably 50/50.  Didn't really try to drive efficient.  Almost 50F today.

YAY!!! The Midwest C-MAXes are coming into our time!!!