SSM 32162 - 2011-2013 Vehicles - MyTouch Functional Issues Due To Phonebook Content - Contact Volume.

New Special Service Message today (3/29/13) from Ford. 

"Some MyTouch equipped vehicles may experience multiple functional issues such as slow navigation calculations, displayed time jump or audio popping during initial ignition on cycle. These conditions can be created by the size of the contact list within the customer's phone book. The amount of data within the contact list can create a processing problem for the module during a key on cycle. This can be resolved by limiting the number and/or content within the contact list. In addition, the automatic phonebook download feature can be set to off by selecting phone, settings, manage phone book, turn auto phone book off. Additional phone contacts can be added by manually re-downloading phone book in that same menu."

Edited by ceemax71

I have to disagree with Ford on a part of this here.  I have NO PHONEBOOK contacts and no auto-download of contacts.  The clock issue comes up still from time to time with me.  I am sure that there are others out there that don't even use the Bluetooth that have the clock issue from what I am seeing on the forums.

If I am remembering correctly, if you don't turn that off then every time your phone connects it downloads the address book again, looking for new additions. What that has to do with the clock, I dunno.

Sounds like it is a bogging down of the CPU.

I'm a software engineer and we often run into situations where you change A, and un-related Q, R, and Triangle get affected.

I'm a software engineer and we often run into situations where you change A, and un-related Q, R, and Triangle get affected.

Which brings up a question.

Why can't you write some software that will TEST each and every possible thing or combination of things the updated/new software is supposed to do?

wab

Why can't you write some software that will TEST each and every possible thing or combination of things the updated/new software is supposed to do?

wab

Ha! And why can't we have world peace, too?

But seriously, software testing is a huge endeavor and corporations spend an enormous amount of resources on it, but in many cases, testing for "every combination of things" would be beyond imaginable. Test for the smarphone with no contacts. Test for the smartphone with 1 contact only...text for the salesman's phone with 20,000 contacts. Oh wait, this is supposed to work for all the different models of the iPhone! And it's supposed to work for Android phone, too? And WIndows? And Nokia? Already millions of combinations. And that's just one little piece of what the software handles. Oh, my gosh, shoot me now!

(From a now retired software person.)

I am now wondering if there could be other software tasks that can cause the CPU to bog down.

One that comes to mind is the indexing of music files stored on smart phones and/or USB drives.

Ha! And why can't we have world peace, too?

But seriously, software testing is a huge endeavor and corporations spend an enormous amount of resources on it, but in many cases, testing for "every combination of things" would be beyond imaginable. Test for the smarphone with no contacts. Test for the smartphone with 1 contact only...text for the salesman's phone with 20,000 contacts. Oh wait, this is supposed to work for all the different models of the iPhone! And it's supposed to work for Android phone, too? And WIndows? And Nokia? Already millions of combinations. And that's just one little piece of what the software handles. Oh, my gosh, shoot me now!

(From a now retired software person.)

Retired, then you must remember the dark ages of dumb terminals.

Guess what I'm holding...right NOW.

A WYSE Rx0L (no processor).

And if I squint at "the cloud" I see a Mainframe in the sky.

Back to the WYSE...it was manufactured in 2011.

wab

wab

Dumb terminals? Gosh, I remember punch cards and--yes--even paper tape. On those days when my memory functions at all.  :)

wab

The Chevy Volt has well over 10 million lines of code (I can't find a number for C-Max, but it can't be too many orders of magnitude different.)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. I have about 20 phone contacts and that's too many??? causing incorrect time? Sounds like Ford needs a faster processor. :) Well, for the time being I guess I'll turn off the auto phone download feature and see if my clock becomes stable.

I turned off auto download today and again had to reset the clock to the correct time. So, "time will tell." :)

Well turning off the phone book update didn't solve the clock problem but i believe this was the longest time between clock resets---about 2 weeks. Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

wab

Since most "Cloud Computers" are running some type of HyperVisor at their core, with machines existing within as Virtual Instances the mainframe analogy is exactly what we have returned to.

I have owned several Windows Mobile based phones before switching to iPhones. Every Windows Mobile device I ever owned had problems with multiple simultaneous tasks. Example: My "last" Windows phone would freeze and require a reboot if a text message came in at the same time as a phone call. You could no longer answer your phone until you rebooted. Sync seems to do ok as long as it only has a single task to process at a time. Give it more than a couple of tasks or throw in a longer running task like handling a large playlist and its done.

Edited by darrelld

• 1 month later...

zhack - i think you meant to say "symptom" since you said cause twice. cause is first then the symptom happens.

no worries.

:)

Are the issues that you guys are seeing "time jump"?  Looking at it, seems that it is a cause of clock problems, not the cause.

zhack - i think you meant to say "symptom" since you said cause twice. cause is first then the symptom happens.

no worries.

:)

No, I mean that it was one of many causes of the clock issue.  In other words, the clock issue may be caused by several different problems.  It's a cause, not the cause :)

OK, so some of you know that I've had problems with my SYNC system freezing up on hot afternoons. So I was following this thread with great interest. My C-MAX has been at the dealership for nearly a week while they tried to duplicate the problem, with no success. They have baked it in the sun for as many days as there was sun here in MI to no avail..........everything works perfectly.

We were driving home from MN yesterday and I had some free time in the car, so I called SYNC customer care to see if they could tell me what they knew about this problem and what constitutes *special characters* that would cause problems. Is it *&%#@ only or does it include ()+=-_! (Sounds like I'm swearing in type, doesn't it?) 

Anyway, the CSA told me "anything that is not a letter" in the name field. She said it only applies to the name field. She promised to document everything I said and go over it with her supervisor and call me back today if they could come up with anything else.

So for about 2 hours yesterday, while Jerry drove, I went thru my phone address book, name by name. I found about 12 where I had entered the email address in the name field so I corrected that. There were a couple of other oddball things that I fixed.

I'm picking my car up today, with a master reset already done and nothing else that I know of. I will probably SYNC the phone but not upload the phone book for a couple of days. It's cool and rainy today, so I don't expect any SYNC failures.

Wish me luck.

My heart goes out to GreenChicago, mtb, wingrider, and all the rest who are having so many issues right now. Looks like 3.5.1 wasn't the magic bullet we all hoped for.

Edited by Adair