Mystery Black Plastic Thing in Console

subter

Also is there a list of stuff that is supposed to come with the car?

(Sadly my $30k car I ordered was swapped by the dealer at the last minute for a test driven car that has more than a few issues and finding out after the fact that I'm missing some items I should have gotten at time of purchase)

How can your dealer swap out the car?????  That sounds like a lawsuit of some sort.  I also have a test driven car and am missing a few things - like a second key.  The dealer is working on it.

I haven't seen a list of what is supposed to come with the car.

I ordered mine to. They had mine in the service dept. so that nobody could mess with it until I came in to pick it up. Checked for keys and the cupholder divider and everything was there on delivery and  7 miles on the odometer.

I would be getting on someone case if they had switched my car for another one.

I was at our dealer yesterday setting up an appointment to determine if my GPS deserves to have its module replaced so that I can then set up another appointment to have that done, so I decided to check a couple of C-Max's to see if they had my cupholder divider in it.  Neither had the divider, so I concluded 1)this is no longer a supplied item, or 2)they are not installed until prepping for the buyer, or 3)other owners had already found their missing divider in these two units.

I will be back next week for my GPS analysis and will check again to see if mine has been found and put in the cars for retrevial.  (I'm actually just joking about this (or am I?) as I prefer to have all the room in the center area as that's where we put our MP3 player which we have to use since out C-Max will not pause and resume audiobook files (MP3) on a consistent basis for some unknow reason.  Please 3.51 come soon!)

I was at our dealer yesterday setting up an appointment to determine if my GPS deserves to have its module replaced so that I can then set up another appointment to have that done, so I decided to check a couple of C-Max's to see if they had my cupholder divider in it.  Neither had the divider, so I concluded 1)this is no longer a supplied item, or 2)they are not installed until prepping for the buyer, or 3)other owners had already found their missing divider in these two units.

I will be back next week for my GPS analysis and will check again to see if mine has been found and put in the cars for retrevial.  (I'm actually just joking about this (or am I?) as I prefer to have all the room in the center area as that's where we put our MP3 player which we have to use since out C-Max will not pause and resume audiobook files (MP3) on a consistent basis for some unknow reason.  Please 3.51 come soon!)

Or your dealer has no idea what they are and they are tossing them out.

Yeah it was horrible - our car some how was "lost" in transit from the factory, Ford hotline couldn't locate it, then the dealer told us they found it and to come in, then this BS and a car from a different dealer. Also they called about 2 months later for paperwork dealing with the loan stuff because the VIN had changed.

I'll write them a letter because I have zero desire to go back to that place ever again.

I ordered mine to. They had mine in the service dept. so that nobody could mess with it until I came in to pick it up. Checked for keys and the cupholder divider and everything was there on delivery and  7 miles on the odometer.

I would be getting on someone case if they had switched my car for another one.

• 2 weeks later...

Car was in for 1st oil change today and I asked for the cupholder divider.  They had no clue what I was talking about and none of the others on the lot had it installed.  But then they found one somewhere!

Thanks so much for this post, I was wishing for something like this because stuff I toss in there keeps rolling up into the other slot and then I have to keep moving it out of the way to put my cup back down.

My key fobs did have the emergency keys.  Good thing, since my car was dead one day.

Woohoo, Got my missing black plastic thing today from my dealer.  My salesman took it from a CMax in their inventory.  So somebody will be missing it when they buy that gray SEL.  Sorry in advance...BTW my salesman simply looked up on their computer system for console cupholder divider then walked across the street to their huge new car lot and pulled it out.  Still not sure of any part number for it.

Edited by mtb9153

That is if Ford can find them, not even the Customer Support people have any idea what it is or where to look for them

MTB9153 is there a part number on the elusive item?

That is if Ford can find them, not even the Customer Support people have any idea what it is or where to look for them

MTB9153 is there a part number on the elusive item?

I will try to see if I can get it from my Salesman but I know it was no big deal for him to walk up to their computer and punch in some info probably to check their inventory of cars.  We walked over to the new car lot and he pulled one from a gray SEL.  Seems like any dealer can just check their computer inventory for CMax center console cupholder splitter, and they would find the part number.  Why these are so elusive is strange to me.  Also more strange is why some cars were delivered without it?  Should be in every car as it leaves the assembly line, unless it is meant to be a dealer supplied option?

Ok I called my salesman and asked if he could give me a part number or description?  He said no he couldn't because Ford does not break down on their parts list the center console into separate pieces which are part of it's assembly.  Makes me wonder now what he typed on their computer to give him the lead to know which car in their inventory to pull this one I now have.  Sorry I didn't watch more closely as he was typing.  Wish I could be of more help.  All I can say is good luck to everyone trying to get this part.  I will guard mine with my life you can be sure of.

I went to Fordparts.com a researched the elusive black plastic console thing and ceemax71 is right it doesn't show the part in their exploded assembly view of the center console.  However I did find this item which I think might be what I have in my hand.  Here is the description of the item I found...

Price: $38.47
Quantity:

Part Description: Charcoal Black, Rubber Cup Holder Insert

Quantity Per Vehicle: 1
Package Quantity: 1

May not be the item at all but 50/50 chance it is.  It probably is the rubber insert in the bottom of the cupholder which your cup rests on?

Here is all the info imprinted into the underside of my part...FoMoCo

DJ54-S046C07

>ABS<

>PP+EPDM<

Up inside the the underside of the part is molded "B2"

The more I research this thing the crazier it seems that Ford has made this part so hard to identify.

Your research, mtb, is spot on:  the only difference on mine is 'A1' is molded on the underside, no doubt referencing a different die or whatever is used to manufacture.  But $ 38.47????  Is Ford charging military prices?

Your research, mtb, is spot on:  the only difference on mine is 'A1' is molded on the underside, no doubt referencing a different die or whatever is used to manufacture.  But $ 38.47????  Is Ford charging military prices?

not sure JAZ, but I felt that was a decent price for what ever that is?

I went to Fordparts.com a researched the elusive black plastic console thing and ceemax71 is right it doesn't show the part in their exploded assembly view of the center console.  However I did find this item which I think might be what I have in my hand.  Here is the description of the item I found...

Price: $38.47
Quantity:

Part Description: Charcoal Black, Rubber Cup Holder Insert

Quantity Per Vehicle: 1
Package Quantity: 1

May not be the item at all but 50/50 chance it is.  It probably is the rubber insert in the bottom of the cupholder which your cup rests on?

Here is all the info imprinted into the underside of my part...FoMoCo

DJ54-S046C07

>ABS<

>PP+EPDM<

Up inside the the underside of the part is molded "B2"

The more I research this thing the crazier it seems that Ford has made this part so hard to identify.

If you match the part number to the exploded picture of the console that point at the actual cup holder, maybe it is a part that comes with it. have an appointment for service again in about an hour will talk to the service manager about it

[EDIT]

Follow up  

Both part numbers are not it, on DJ54-S046C07 the parts guy suspects it is a engineering number, nothing is listed for it. The other item for 38.47 is the insert at the bottom. One bit of luck, while I was there a transport truck pulled up with 3 new C-Max's on it. As soon as they rolled off the truck the service manager and I looked in them, all 3 had the piece in the console box.  Seems the assemble people did not know what they were or where they went and were just throwing them in a box under the work bench. Now they know and now I have mine:)

Edited by Wingrider01

• 2 months later...

I too had this object in my center console. It fits perfectly in the center of the cup-holder in the center console. I suppose its used to properly secure the fore cup from the aft cup. I would not have figured it out with out the previous comments in the thread. Thanks Bunch. 

• 8 months later...

Thanks everyone!

I was seriously stumped as to what this thing could be.

This posting was the first thing google returned for "ford c-max cup thingy".

I was calling it a "cup thingy" because I thought that the empty space in it could be used to store change....not that I thought it had anything to do with the cup holders.

I only received one real "key"...I'll have to talk to the dealer.

Same deal with the rear window air deflectors, 2014's come with them yet they don't show up on the parts department computer database.  Is Ford deliberately trying to hide these items from us?  If we buy them to upgrade a 2013, it's $$$ is their pocket.