$2557(+tax) worth it to fix a 2013 c-max energi with KBB value of $7,316 - $9,035 ?

Sue M

Dealer says the audio module has failed. Replacing that is $1300. 

The car also needs 60K service, which is ~ $1257.

Worth fixing? 

Another factor is I have 2 teenagers who have not yet learned to drive. The C-MAX is a good car to learn in because it's easy to drive and fairly small. 

Maybe keep the C-MAX but just do minimal maintenance, deal with having  no audio and no audible backup sensor, and shop for a replacement car without being rushed? 

The car is at the shop right now, and I need to make a decision. Anyone have life advice for me? :)

Which audio module? What exactly is the failure mode? As much details as possible would be helpful. Are you are dealing with the VERY barebones 4" non-touch unit or the 8" touch screen, nav equipped, etc?

There are two infotainment modules: The ACM and APIM. ACM is the AM/FM/CD/Sirius tuner and acts as the actual audio routing to the speakers. APIM is the Sync unit/smarts and mostly just takes care of nav, Bluetooth, and USB media and is what handles the screen whether yours is the 4" or 8" version and sends its audio to the ACM to route to the speakers. There's also a tertiary DSP/DACMC unit in these vehicles needed for the active noise cancelling feature, though in my second hand experience I have yet to see anyone note the DSP has failed. Usually something happens with the ACM or APIM and both can either be fixed/recovered or at least replaced cheaply without paying dealer prices. Usually the APIM you can find around ~$200-$300 and the ACM probably around $100-$200.

Generally these cars are pretty reliable mechanically and will likely treat you well for a long time. There are some potential transmission issues in the 2013-early 2016 model years, but Energi's seem to be spared more than hybrid models in this area. And the average mileage for most who DO run into issues seems to be around the 100k mark so take all of that as you will. I have a '13 Energi myself creeping up on 90k miles and it's mostly been basic maintenance with no big ticket repairs to speak of. Ultimately I won't say yay or nay for whether or not to keep the vehicle, but myself as well as other members can at least give some insights.

Edited by cr08

I wouldn't do it. Maybe the audio can be fixed somewhere else. Did you check the fuses? The 60k service seems super expensive...what is included in that?

Most big changes are due around 100k mi.

I would ask for the "works" deal instead (used to be $39)...it's oil change and tire rotation.

Edited by Lacienega

@cr08 Thank you for that information! I now know way more about my car's audio modules than I did before. It would have taken me a long time to do that research on my own. That's exactly what I came to this forum hoping for: someone who already has the expertise and can summarize for me. So, thank you!!!

I decided to have the dealer just do basic maintenance and inspection so I could delay the decision about what to do and how much to spend until January. And when I got the car back, the audio was working again! Apparently, what it needed was just a reset. Now that I think of it, in the past I have reset the modem and various Sync computer functions using the fuse panel under the dash. (I've been so busy lately that I forgot about that.)

Anyway, in January I can get the 60K service done and I will search to see if someone other than the dealer can do that for me. I also found out I need new tires.

Thanks to @Lacienega, too. In silicon valley, everything's expensive. (Gas prices peaked at $9.75 a gallon.)

The ACM is a common 'failure' point (not a hard failure, but a software/firmware bug) on these vehicles. If the Sync system/touch screen still functioned but you couldn't do stuff like change sources/presets, adjust audio, touch screen beeps didn't come through, that's a telltale the ACM is misbehaving. And in these cases it has the potential to stay active at key-off and drain the battery because it essentially completely freezes up. The fuse 79 trick you've likely read up on is the quick workaround for this. If you want a proper fix so it will never occur again, bug your dealer to do a firmware update on it. Shouldn't cost much. It's less than 30 minutes of work and is just them plugging in their computer and doing a quick update. Ford has this issue documented in one of their TSBs on the Fusion models but it's the same exact issue and those call for a calibration/firmware update as a fix.

Something you can DIY and is good practice especially with the early 2013-2015 model years is to update your Sync system/APIM to the latest software available. Sync 2/MyFord Touch which is what yours is equipped with from the factory were known to be a bit buggy in early versions and got sorted out in the last updates Ford pushed out some years ago. You can go to the site below and it will give you all the info you need to check the current version, download an update to a (GOOD, brand name!) USB flash drive, and then update the system yourself.

Update Ford SYNC® & Navigation Maps | Ford Owner Support

Edited by cr08

• 3 weeks later...

I never bother to look up KBB values, but I will now...for a 2014 SEL Hybrid I'm getting $7,200-8,700. That's a trade-in value. It's always smarter to sell a car yourself. Similar SELs with similar mileage are listed in my area for $14,000-18,000. Check the online boards like cars.com and autotrader.com for comparables. 

I was having problems with very slow SYNC response to commands, and was thinking about paying for an APIM replacement. But then I upgraded from an iPhone 11 to a 13, and the problem magically went away! Did you know a phone can fix a car?