How are C-Max values holding up in your area?

I'm curious, because one of our two is soon going on the market. Here in Denver, I see only about a half-dozen comparable Hybrids for sale between cars/com, cargurus.com and autotrader.com. How about a 2015 SEL Hybrid with 85K miles for $19,000? It does have a lovely combo of blue exterior and tan interior (wish I'd gotten that). A 2013 SEL with 88k asks $15,400. The range tops out at an amazing $26,897, which gets you a 2018 Hybrid SE with only 18K miles. 

Those prices raise the possibility that I may actually make money on my car. The selection shows that supply is super-tight, but these listings don't tell me what the cars actually will sell for. 

Any observations or thoughts about C-Max residual values?

I just bought one at an off-brand dealer: 2016 Energi SEL, 57K miles, $16700.  Superb shape.

I also drove a 2015 Energi SEL that same day; only 72K miles, but that thing was worn out.  They were asking $13400.  The price was attractive, but the car had seen better days.  Clearly someone didn't take good care of it.

• 3 months later...

Min's been on the market in Denver for two months now. The price is competitive with other local listings, but there's been little interest except from wholesale buyers. Those interested had owned C-Maxes in the past, and wanted another. So the car seems to retain a high value, but isn't easy to resell.

• 1 month later...

Maybe I should have phrased the question differently- has anyone, anywhere managed to sell a used C-Max? Mine has been on sale for three months, with only two live buyers coming to see it.  They liked it, but chose to buy other cars that had AWD and/or more automatic safety equipment. I've dropped $3000 from my original asking price, which was on par with other similar SELs at local dealers. The dealers' best wholesale price offer is another $3000 lower.

Dealers have one big advantage in selling a lesser-known model like the C-Max. They can redirect someone looking for a Prius to look at our larger, faster and better alternative. As a private seller, however, I'm dependent on shoppers who have enough knowledge and interest to remember that funny name and search for it. And nobody's seen an ad for a C-Max in at least six years. Ford's spent a fortune portraying itself as that tough truck brand, which probably doesn't help, either. 

At least that's the view from Denver, one of the most truck-hungry, Subaru-hugging car markets in the US. Is it any different where you live? Right now I'm discouraged. Is the C-Max like a time share, something you can hardly get rid of? Not quite, but it's become a tough sell...

• 4 months later...
On 10/6/2023 at 10:31 PM, Sara K said:

I just bought a 2016 Energi with 70k miles for $14,000 in the Los Angeles area. There may be some repairs I need to do, so likely it would be about a 15-16k investment. Purchased from a dealer.

Does California give you a tax credit for buying used plug-in cars?